Remove Advertisements

Grull's lair group compositions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Grull's lair group compositions

Postby palouf » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:17 am

Hi all,

I'm MT and raid leader of a small guild, we have kara on farm (and downed nalorakk) and a second group is about to clear kara too.
I'm planning our first 25 man try and i'm wondering how works the group compositions to optimise them( or at least the general group compositions in 25 mans ).
Usually we just use a healers/tank group and a dps group in 10 mans.

We will have :
1 MT tankadin
2 OT warriors
1 arms warrior
1 mage tank
1 moonkin tank
2 warlocks
3 hunters
2 retri paladins
2 others mages
1 Spriset
7 healers : 3 palas/2 priests/1 shammy/1 druid
2 random dps (feral druid/rogue probably)

Thx
palouf

Postby Sithy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:07 am

We typically go in with 3 or 4 tanks, 4 to 7 healers and the rest dps.

That said we're pretty over geared and we've done the instance so many times its not funny.

For your first time in though...

I'd recommend 4 tanks. 1 on high king, 2 on olm, 1 on blindeye that goes to olm after blindeye is down.

6 Healers would be the minimum, 7 would be best if you can manage it. 1 Healer for the kiggler tank (a resto druid works well here), 1 to 2 on the mage tank, 1 to 2 on the high king tank and 1 to 2 on the olm tank.

As for dps a balanced makeup of melee to ranged is recommended, more ranged being better than melee in the end.
Sithy

Postby palouf » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:16 am

Sithy wrote:We typically go in with 3 or 4 tanks, 4 to 7 healers and the rest dps.

That said we're pretty over geared and we've done the instance so many times its not funny.

For your first time in though...

I'd recommend 4 tanks. 1 on high king, 2 on olm, 1 on blindeye that goes to olm after blindeye is down.

6 Healers would be the minimum, 7 would be best if you can manage it. 1 Healer for the kiggler tank (a resto druid works well here), 1 to 2 on the mage tank, 1 to 2 on the high king tank and 1 to 2 on the olm tank.

As for dps a balanced makeup of melee to ranged is recommended, more ranged being better than melee in the end.

Thx.
I was more wondering which classes/spec you put in each group ?
palouf

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:23 am

3 tanks seem ideal.

If you have a boomkin, he tanks kiggler. Otherwise 2 rangeds will do.Hunters work pretty well. Olm just needs one tank, and Blindeye's tank once Blindeye is down.

I suggest, on the begining, put the tree druid on the same group of the mage tank. He seems to be the most fragile of the fight and extra healing helps.

For dpsers...put moonkin together with magi, warlocks(if you can't fit them all, Affliction warlocks can be left out with minimal loss)
For tank group...all tanks + tree druid + something else(here is a good place for aff-lock and it's imp stamina bonus). Healers usually go with the shadow priest for the longevity. Ret pallies stay in the melee group with all melee dpsers
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Sithy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:45 am

Group composition for us varies greatly from day to day, depending who all is online.

We're blessed with a bunch of hybrid classes, less hunters than a typical raid.

Group 1 (tank group):
Prot warrior
Prot warrior/pally
Tree Druid
Enhance Shaman for Agility Totem
Warlock for Imp

If the tanks don't need an imp you can toss another tank in the group

Group 2 (melee dps group)
Feral Druid
Enhance Shaman for WF or Agil
Rogue
Rogue / DPS Warrior
DPS Warrior / Hunter

You can always shift that group around a bit depend what classes you have or what roles people are doing.

Group 3 (caster dps group):
Boomkin
Mage
Mage
Warlock
Shadow Priest

Group 4 (caster/healer mixed group):
Elemental Shaman
<Any other spare (mana based) dps>

Group 5:
Healer (Resto Shaman)
Healer (Holy Priest / Holy Pally)
Shadow Priest / Healer (Holy Priest / Holy Pally)

The shadow priests can be tossed where they'll be used best, if DPS running out of mana is the issue give them the shadow priest, if its healers running out of mana, give it to them.
Sithy

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:30 am

The short answer to your question, which will make you desire you had 1029309 long answers instead, is:
See what every class can offer, and check where they synergise best.

Trees go where healing is most needed

moonkin go where the casters crit

shaman go where their totems will help the most(resto is similar to a spriest's group utility, elemental for caster dps and enhancement for melee dps/tank power)

Improved Imp warlocks usually stay with the squishies if AoE damage is expected. Affliction doesn't need crit as much as destro/demo does(in fact, affliction's big bonus for crit can be offered by the destro locks)

hunters are the bastard childs that usually no one wants in a specific group other than hunter-hunter-hunter-hunter-something. Some have trueshot aura, which is free ap, and aspect of the wild for nature resist..otherwise they are like rogues. Anything they offer is not group-dependent and the totems that work best for them aren't usually the best for casters/melee dps .

Ret paladins can stay with either the prot paladin(more threat) or in the dps group(more dps), holy has only the auras so they usually go with healers for concentration.

Warriors have a few shouts, but their utility will always match their role, so treat them as rogues.

Same for magi.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag