Minimum stats (gear) for Prince

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Impervium » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:16 am

Nightbane has a pally shield? I've only seen the SoID and the Shammie spell-damage shield.
Impervium

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:36 am

There's no epic "pally shield" that I know of. It's all tanking shield or healing shield or spell damage shield.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Stos » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:25 pm

My bad. Whatever it's normally called it looks pretty cool (spews flame every so often) and it was still a nice upgrade for me.

My old one=> http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31491
The one nightbane dropped=> http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28611

-Stos

Edit: Well it's an upgrade for heroics for sure. Not sure about bosses. Much higher armor and BV but lower defense and 2 less stamina. Not sure exactly but I'm going to try using it until I can get a better one for MTing.
Last edited by Stos on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stos

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:28 pm

Netherwing Defender's will be your last spell damage shield. Focus on mitigation from now on.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Stos » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:Netherwing Defender's will be your last spell damage shield. Focus on mitigation from now on.

What should I be looking for? I'm one run away now from getting http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29176 which might (edit: will) be better for MTing if I put in 2 SSofElune. Beyond that I'm guessing I'm looking at the other shield Nightbane drops? http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28606 and then the Gruul one?

Thanks again,
-Stos
Stos

Postby JoeBravo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:32 am

I tanked prince yesterday without a problem (one shotted him, yay) with 14k health and 14k armor.
Group was composed of mostly under- or kara/badge-geared alt's:

- me
- hpriest
- 2 resto shammy
- spriest
- mage
- prot warrior
- 2x hunter
- lock

only tactic worth mentioning: I stopped hitting him in fase 2.
JoeBravo / Joerojin / Ekibiogami / Cloverleaf / Yodin / Flidhais / Kuanti@ The Khalasar - Dragonblight EU
JoeBravo

Postby Tyaera » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:25 pm

the safe spots have been removed in 2.4

good riddance, i say
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Neejo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:35 pm

JoeBravo wrote:only tactic worth mentioning: I stopped hitting him in fase 2.

Can somebody explain me why someone would stop attacking him in fase2?
Does it increases your chance to dodge/parry or is it something else?
Ebann `Protection Paladin ` Shattered Hand - EU
Neejo

Postby Levantine » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:14 am

Neejo wrote:

Prince in phase two is a boss where parry gib is a very real possibility. If you aren't actually hitting him with your sword, then he can't get parry hasted with a dual thrash and hit you for 15k in half a second. Because he's a dual wielder, Consecrate + Sanctuary + Holy Shield + Judgement + Exorcism is a crapton of threat, even without the Seal of Righteousness swings.
Levantine

Postby JoeBravo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:17 am

Neejo wrote:

if you don't (melee) attack, prince can't parry and won't get any hasted attacks. So it prevent's a large damage spike:3 or 4 blocked hits in half a second still hurt a lot, even worse if it eats up your shield.
JoeBravo / Joerojin / Ekibiogami / Cloverleaf / Yodin / Flidhais / Kuanti@ The Khalasar - Dragonblight EU
JoeBravo

Postby Neejo » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:37 am

JoeBravo wrote:
Neejo wrote:

if you don't (melee) attack, prince can't parry and won't get any hasted attacks. So it prevent's a large damage spike:3 or 4 blocked hits in half a second still hurt a lot, even worse if it eats up your shield.

Thx (in dutch: bedankt)
Ebann `Protection Paladin ` Shattered Hand - EU
Neejo

Postby Uthadanin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:19 am

And of course, once you trust your healers (and are sitting on 17k+ health, attacking him during phase 2 becomes an option again).
Uthadanin

Postby TheHonage » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm trying to think about the worst gear I had when i have tanked him. 17k hp crushable with 20% dodge if i'm right. I't wasnt preety.

Nowadays, of course, it was 19.8k hp and 24 dodge uncrushable. The "Wait, prince is in phase 3? I didnt notice phase 2" comes from the healers.
TheHonage

Postby Windchaser » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:43 am

Good info here, thanks toe veryone chiming in.

I came here in search of the very same info as last night was my first time MT'ing the prince.

It did nto go so well. Between the bad luck drops of infernals to healers unable to keep up in phase 2.

Almost got him out of phase 2, but he just kept dropping me right before we could end it.

It was really a discouraging fight as a tank. I have worked so hard gearing myself up and getting what I thought were decent stats/HPs/Etc.

Talk about a slap to the ego. :) The raid leader swore that it wasn't me, though, and it was the healers.

Next time I'm goign to bring some of those potiosn mentioned in this post. :)
Windchaser

Postby Stos » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:01 am

Uthadanin wrote:And of course, once you trust your healers (and are sitting on 17k+ health, attacking him during phase 2 becomes an option again).

As an update buffed I'm now just over 17k HP with around 16.5k armor 52% pure avoidance and this fight from a tanking perspective has gotten quite a bit easier. I now continue to attack during the entire phase 2 and almost every wipe is a 'healers/dps died to infernals' wipe.

Something I did notice (not sure if it's new in 2.4 or not) was that sometimes my consecrate would not tick on him at all. The combat log would show multiple successful casts of it but it would never tick on him. Since then I've been watching my in game combat text like a hawk and when consecrate isn't ticking I move closer to him and farther from the wall until it starts ticking again.

I also note that somewhere between 15-25% of my holy damage is resisted by him and sometimes it's a partial resist (ie. he takes X damage, Y damage resisted message.) I believe common wisdom is to ignore spell hit and just keep upping spell damage to compensate. Is this true in all fights or just on average? I currently have 0 spell hit rating, is there a small amount I should be shooting for? Is this fight a 'bring +spell hit' fight?

Thanks again for all the help,
-Stos
Stos

PreviousNext

Return to Karazhan