Remove Advertisements

magisters terrace?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Arcand » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:32 pm

A group with which I can wreck any heroic wiped once on trash (partly due to a bad pull) and twice on Kael'Thas, doing so badly on the latter that we gave up.

The normal feels like heroic difficulty from what I've seen, and I can hardly imagine what it would take to beat it on heroic.
Arcand

Postby anowyn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:29 pm

As far as I can tell, that 3rd boss is untankable. Am I correct in this assessment? Should I just end up healing that fight? Every attempt on her in two runs and RF is gone before she even gets to me :(
Anowyn - The Asylum
Icecrown, US
anowyn

Postby Arcand » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:44 pm

Throughout that fight tonight, with RF on (it never did get purged off) I was putting threat on bad guys which would normally get them snapping onto me (max-rank AS+JoR, that kind of thing) and they were ignoring it. I don't know if they have repeated threat dumps to make it play more like a 'PvP' fight or what it is, but their behavior definitely doesn't seem normal.
Arcand

Postby anowyn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:51 pm

Yah, not even purge, she'd just dispell all my buffs in seconds. We haven't even gotten a shaman in the setup yet. Usually the two warriors, the lock and something else.
Anowyn - The Asylum
Icecrown, US
anowyn

Postby Reiyuka » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:00 pm

We got rogue, shaman, warrior, and hunter on heroic. I'm in t5 and I can AOE tank pretty much everything, though we sheep the glaive throwers for healers' peace of mind.

Gave up after about 8 tries.. we couldn't even burn the first add down, tried several strategies. We had a mage and a priest for CC but that's it.

That is a NASTY ass fight. I don't really see how it's remotely fair.
Reiyuka

Postby Gwai » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:31 pm

How hard is this instance (on normal mode that is), for a freshly dinged 70? I had kinda planned to farm the hell out of the instance (and daily quests) once i hit 70.

Ill have engineering goggles and bs belt/boots + mostly quest items when i hit 70 i recon.

Will i be better of specing retri, and get some guildies to boost me? or will i do ok in badish gear?
ImageImage
Gwai

Postby Jhereg » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:18 pm

Check my response in the other post for ideas on 3rd fight, it really isn't difficult, even on heroic.

If you're trying to wtf blaze through the instance like kara and normal 5 man's, you'll have trouble. There is an awful lot of stacking dot dmg that needs dispelled constantly. Poison, holy wrath, and immolate each deal upwards of 1k a tick even on normal, and you'll have packs where you have all 3 on you at once.

The mage guards (glaive throwers) are very powerful, with a 2k dmg AoE stun. If you have a priest, mind control them, and solo half the group. Otherwise, just watch for the magisters as their stacking spell haste will ruin your day if you kill them last. The ethereals tend to blink into a clump of your players and spam arcane explosion, we tended to make them a first target.

Depending on your group/gear makeup, it was often easiest for us to burst down a high dps mob than to kill healers first. The healers tend to heal once, then delay for a while before the next one.

Honestly, our largest difficulty was the second boss on heroic, took a wipe to figure it out. You absolutely have to kill the pure energy spawns before they blast you for 3k (about 3 seconds after spawning), or the healing becomes unmanageable. Hunters are very good at this, and in fact, the instance as a whole.

Finally, soloing the 50 or so mana wurms before the second boss supplicant style is damn entertaining.

Anyway, have fun with it, it's a good instance. I'm going to go to sleep hugging my brand new Commendation of Kael'thas now.
Jhereg

Postby Fahsky » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:44 am

I liked that comment of a 'weak Heroic'. This place is hell compared to Shattered Halls. XD You're not going to charge in & AoE tank the whole place right off the bat - you want I'd say at least two forms of CC to be safe. I had three on my run (sap, sheep & trap), & we still wiped four times (twice on bosses, twice on weird trash aggros). The amount of casters will make some of us tankadins go :x. Also, don't expect anything but rep out of normal TMT - the loot is retarded. The cloak we got off Kael'thas gave us all a good laugh as we DE-d it.
Fahsky

Postby holysdrjr » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:45 am

I guess it's not that bad actually. With my gear (Holysoldier on Shu'halo) and some healers in blues and greens I cleared up to Kael on regular 4 times today. Downed Kael twice, and got to the Priestess once and called it. They were mostly PuG groups, and on the the third boss the first time, I gave up because of the constant aggro dump. As soon as I realized I need to treat it like an arena 5v5, where it's the healers job to keep people up, not the tanks job, we did fine.

I suppose that instance is one when I should at least bring my healing mace/shield. You don't need much tank gear for the Priestess fight, and you only need the tanking gear for Kael until he takes gravity away. After that it's a free for all, and as a pally, you'd be better served in tossing heals to the DPS so they can kill faster.

I AoE tanked everything. On the last few runs I started paying attention to who I would CC and had my mage and hunter do their magic so that on a heroic I'd know who to do. First few runs though, AoE'd every pack. The only thing I used was wowwiki to check mob ability's to help with the kill order.

If you don't feel like checking, my gear is 2.3 badge gear, KZ on farm gear + Tankatronic goggles, so it isn't very high level stuff...
holysdrjr

Re: magisters terrace?

Postby Balanor » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:27 am

Shadraak wrote:just curious if anyone knows the "difficulty" on the new 5man, what stats are, comparable to instance x, etc....
Im terribly geared with a mix of blues/crafted purples/kara gear and would compare Mag Terrace to heroic botanic. Its not a difficult instance but I can't AoE tank like I can in normals.
Balanor

Postby Balanor » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:33 am

Reiyuka wrote:We got rogue, shaman, warrior, and hunter on heroic. I'm in t5 and I can AOE tank pretty much everything, though we sheep the glaive throwers for healers' peace of mind.

Gave up after about 8 tries.. we couldn't even burn the first add down, tried several strategies. We had a mage and a priest for CC but that's it.

On normal or heroic? The group I went in with last night are all sporting a mix of high end blues and some Kara gear and we got the third boss down after a couple learning wipes so its not terribly hard. Just different.
Balanor

Postby Balanor » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:35 am

Gwai wrote:How hard is this instance (on normal mode that is), for a freshly dinged 70? I had kinda planned to farm the hell out of the instance (and daily quests) once i hit 70.

Ill have engineering goggles and bs belt/boots + mostly quest items when i hit 70 i recon.

Will i be better of specing retri, and get some guildies to boost me? or will i do ok in badish gear?
Normal mode I would equate with one of the easier heroics. CC will be your friend.
Balanor

Postby Dorvan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:47 am

Balanor wrote:
Reiyuka wrote:We got rogue, shaman, warrior, and hunter on heroic. I'm in t5 and I can AOE tank pretty much everything, though we sheep the glaive throwers for healers' peace of mind.

On normal or heroic? The group I went in with last night are all sporting a mix of high end blues and some Kara gear and we got the third boss down after a couple learning wipes so its not terribly hard. Just different.

Reading comprehension ftw :P

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby styrm » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:48 am

We one shotted the 3rd boss, for some reason the 2nd boss was our main enemy, the last boss we did in 2 attmeps, too bad all the loots were shards.

2nd boss was a all out kill the casters blast(my rogue loved it)

Basic Kara Geared all of us.
Frostmane: Danyell, War, 80 MT/Arms
Karahmon, Sham, 80 Resto/Ele
Tazzlehof, Rog, 80 Combat Dags
Raystlyn, Mag, 80, ICE/Fire
Styrm, Pally, 80, Tank/Ret
Headshotz, Hunter, 80, MM
Beatah, Sham, 80, Enhc
Soth, DK, 80, Blood/Frost
styrm

Postby Jkol » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:38 am

I haven't run this on my pally yet, but I did take notes while running it on heroic with my mage.

Biggest thing I've noticed is that the instance is very crowd control friendly.
Our group last night had 2 mages and a hunter and life was much simpler.

As far as I can tell, the third boss has no aggro table, and neither do her adds. The best strategy we found for her was to CC three of the adds, burn her and then deal with the loose add. We chose to burn her first because she has some minor, annoying heals that were slowing us down otherwise.

As for Heroic Kael, we only got past the pyroblast once last night and then we were so shocked that we got caught with our pants down and wiped at 22%.

Some have suggested bubbling through the Shield/Pyro on a pally -- Anyone tried this? Does he target another party member and if so, how long should one wait to pop their bubble to ensure that he doesn't waste a heal or dps?
Jkol

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics