Nightbane Skellies

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Nightbane Skellies

Postby Lauranna-Skullcrusher » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:31 am

Hello guys, this is my 1st post and I've read the forum a lot for the past couple of weeks. Lots of good information in here.

I am the GM of my guild and the main tank so far.
Lots of people didn't believe in a Pally being able to be the main tank but now they changed their mind and say that tankadin are the best tank... lol

I tanked Nightbane yesterday for the 1st time.

My guild started Kara 3 weeks ago.
1st week: Downed Curator (did the chess event also, but struggle wth shade of Aran)
2nd week: Downed Prince
3rd week: Downed Nightbane

We only have Netherspite left to kill to have a full clear on Kara (still struggling with the portals, people don't listen very well hehe)

Anyways, last night was our 1st time trying Nightbane

1st try was with a warrior tank (I was only gonna tank the skellies) - Fail at 80%
2nd try Warrior tank - in the 40's% warrior died and I was able to take over the tanking - A couple dps died - Took him down to 14% with 5 people - healers went OOM
3rd try I was MT, Warrior put on his dps gear (he`s prot but also has a good dps set) - Got bad luck with a fear and 2 healers got killed
4th try - Easy as hell downed him with only 1 person killed.

My question is the following:
On the skellies part, I use concecration + AW but the mage in our group still gets the aggro with his AoE. Any suggestion to help keep the aggro easier on that phase? The strat we used was to cast BoP on the mage to keep him alive. He was the only person taking aggro off me. I suggested waitting a few seconds for me to get a good initial aggro but it doesn't seem to do anything good. Maybe AW is a must, but with the amount of skellies, it's hard to cast it without getting hit a lot.
Lauranna-Skullcrusher

Postby guillex » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:34 am

Tell him to wait for your second consecrate ... and to ice block when he can ... Basically you have to get as much aggro as you can when they drop. Make sure he has salv for that part of the fight.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:37 am

I ask my team to kill the first skelly in a normal rotation, and from there, AoE.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Cearn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:38 am

Arcane Subtlety. If he still gets aggro he should just downgrade his AE and maybe not start with BW+DB but keep that for the last ~35%.
Cearn

Postby Shirak » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:33 am

When I see the alert Nightbane begins to take a breath I consecrate then wait one and Holy Wrath. Gives me an extra "Punch" to help gather them up.
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Postby Galoheart » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:21 pm

Question: On Air Phase when Nightbane is raining down the Skeletons on target raid member, would the best strategy be to have that person stay close to the Tankadin so that consecration and Holy Wrath can easily pick up all the skeletons while the unaffected dps/healer move back a bit? Or what's the better stratergy here?

I know our raid on Nightbane has had that same problem on almost every air phase with the skeletons the Mage dies even when I dropped a consecration. Thinking of it I guess he over aggro with his max rank AoE spells.
http://ardentdefender.blogspot.com/ - My WoW Blog.
"One day my time will come. Until then I continue to prepare myself".
Galoheart

Postby Lauranna-Skullcrusher » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:32 am

Best way is to have everyone stack up so that consecration picks them all up.

We went again last night (after reset) and it went perfectly by waitting a bit longer and me using HW. Nightbane was 1 shotted with 0 death.

Thanks for the help guys.
Lauranna-Skullcrusher

Postby Thanehand » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:02 am

The way I do this is to have everyone gather on one spot when he takes off.

As soon as he starts his rain of bones, shove a consecrate down, and have everyone spread out. When you see the first skelly, start casting Holy Wrath. Important: do NOT have Concentration aura on you.

The first skelly will start hitting you, causing knockback. This is useful
Pretty much every time I have done this, the AW goes off just as the last skelly spawns. I usually lose only 1 to the mages/locks, which a simple exorcism will bring back. Consc again, and HS, watch them all die.

The only time I lose a mage to them is when some idiot decides to single target one with a Pyroblast or something. Make sure your aoers wait until at least 3 have spawned. Single target damage just gets in the way...
ImageImage
Thanehand

Postby wri7913 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:06 am

Galoheart wrote:Question: On Air Phase when Nightbane is raining down the Skeletons on target raid member, would the best strategy be to have that person stay close to the Tankadin so that consecration and Holy Wrath can easily pick up all the skeletons while the unaffected dps/healer move back a bit? Or what's the better stratergy here?

I know our raid on Nightbane has had that same problem on almost every air phase with the skeletons the Mage dies even when I dropped a consecration. Thinking of it I guess he over aggro with his max rank AoE spells.

Group up and drop consecrate when the first one hits, the Mage should freeze them in place while you hit Consecrate again. The rest of the group should take a step or two back from the pack of Skells. After that keep your shield up and let the locks and mages nuke them down. If any dps'ers get one on them, they should run into your consecrate so you have easier time pulling it off.
wri7913

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:20 am

Is the mage starting AoE immediately? Since the skels spawn one at a time, he may be nabbing aggro on something before your cons has a chance to tick.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Frickit » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:46 am

air phase = group up on the MTank.
Start your consecrating gather skeles...your a pally gathering a few skeles shouldnt be hard(ill even toss on concentration aura and cast holy wrath.)....have everyone spread out after they spawn by the time they are done NB should be coming back. I will either solo this encounter or if the warrior is Mting (watch out for crushing blows) Ill just run up to him with the group gather skeles as Offtank and still everyone spreads out. As an OT you can make sure the skeles dont go all over a little better. As MT have the warrior or whoever be on loose skele duty.
Frickit

Postby ldeboer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:08 pm

wri7913 wrote:
Galoheart wrote:Question: On Air Phase when Nightbane is raining down the Skeletons on target raid member, would the best strategy be to have that person stay close to the Tankadin so that consecration and Holy Wrath can easily pick up all the skeletons while the unaffected dps/healer move back a bit? Or what's the better stratergy here?

Group up and drop consecrate when the first one hits, the Mage should freeze them in place while you hit Consecrate again. The rest of the group should take a step or two back from the pack of Skells. After that keep your shield up and let the locks and mages nuke them down. If any dps'ers get one on them, they should run into your consecrate so you have easier time pulling it off.

Playing both a mage and pally tank I agree this is the best strat .. mages initial roll is to freeze the skellies not to try and aoe them straight up.

This allows the party healers to move away from them and you to gain agro through consecrate.

The mage needs to wait a few seconds then begin the AOE nuke and you healers need to shield and be ready to heal the mage.
ldeboer

Postby thorn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:54 pm

we always stack on square and single target dps them. you as the tank should be consecrating and marking next kill. you should always have a key bound to "mark skull". i have mouse3 (or pressing the mousewheel in) to mark skull on target.

so everyone stacks on square. nightbane takes a deep breath. you consecrate and pop the first one with avenger's shield and mark him with your mark-skull key, then hit second with exorcism, third with judgement. (the rest after that should be in consecrate long enough to stay on you.)

keep consecrate up and start marking the mobs. while they are burning skull, mark an x. while they are burning x, mark a skull, etc. this is not so that you can just be the leader and choose who you want to die. the point is so that everybody stays on the same page. if you have a "main assist" you can let him mark. w/e.

single targetting the skellies means nobody dies because they all stay on you until the group attacks one, then it dies in .5 seconds.

and honestly? i don't even both marking after the skull and x dies. there's only like three left after that, and even if there was two on each skeleton, that's all it takes anyways for them to die in like two hits.
thorn
Maintankadonor

Return to Karazhan