Magister's Terrace, heroic 3rd boss.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Magister's Terrace, heroic 3rd boss.

Postby Vladimir » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi-

Just went in with a group of great players to heroic Terrace. We blasted through on normal, then had an easy time on heroic until the third boss.

We got all humanoids: fury warrior, warlock, rogue, and shaman. We also had no viable CC for the humanoids besides a succubus and fearing.

I noticed after the first attempt that the shaman was purging me like crazy, dispelling Righteous Fury. We tried locking him down/fearing the rest and killing him, but it seemed like I'd have to refresh Righteous Fury constantly.

Any suggestions on how to go about killing that Shaman when we don't have CC?

Thanks for the help!

Vladimir
Vladimir

Postby Reiyuka » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:05 pm

I had similar problems. The Shaman purges me instantly, I think so does the main boss. There are aggro resets of some kind. The rogue stuns you and everyone goes off and ganks a healer. The warrior AOE fears and then the mobs aren't in a knot.

There was just no combination of CC for that fight with a priest/mage that made it doable for me.. I expect I'll come back to it later with a fresh set of eyes.

That purge is insane though. How'd that make it through the PTR?
Reiyuka

Postby Vladimir » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:16 pm

My thoughts exactly. We ran the whole way there on heroic with little CC and no problems. Then, we hit a brick wall on that third boss.

Hell of it is, I know it was because of me. They would've been fine with a druid/warrior tank on the fight, just because their aggro can't be dispelled.

I did everything I could, and we still wiped more times than I'd like to admit.

Anyone find a miracle solution?
Vladimir

Postby Queycar » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:27 pm

Just completed this on heroic....what a pain. Near as I can tell it's not an agro reset there just is no agro. What we did was we aproached it like an arena battle. We killed the Priestess first because she heals and then ran the shaman out of mana then killed him, then we took down the MS warrior and after that it was just easy to DPS the rest down.

For CC we had Priest fear bombs just about every cooldown, druid cyclone on usually whatever was attacking our healer, we had a warlock banish the demon hunter and chain fear the MS warrior...at first we tried succubus for charming but that didn't go so well.

My roll as tankadin in the encounter was basically helping out with healing and doing everything I could to keep everyone alive...hammer of justice when it was available and bop'ing the healer when neccesary. So yeah I'm fairly certain that there is NO agro table in this fight at all....i might be wrong but that's what my conclusion was from 1 run on regular and 1 run on heroic and reports from my other tank friends that ran it.

And I didn't get my trinket so i get to do it all again tomarow :?
Queycar

Postby Jhereg » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:09 pm

The fight does not have an agro table. They attack who they feel like, which is often not you. I spent my time tossing heals, whacking each mob with SoJ till diminishing returns hit, HoJing key heals, and spamming cleanse.

Just be ready to BoP your casters if they get a pain train from two melee classes.

Clear the first full side before you pull and fear bomb for CC. I suggest keeping the Warlord naga sheeped/feared/trapped the entire time, as he is the largest source of dmg and does mortal strike as well. The mage is largely an idiot who chain blizzards the floor. The shaman is pretty nasty, the rogue stun locks, the fury warrior is weak, the tinker is weak, and the lock is probably the second highest dps (kill the imp).
Jhereg

Postby Taoden » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:35 pm

The mobs all have an aggro list, they just reset aggro very frequently. Everything is immune to taunt in this fight but if you pop something with some high aggro stuff you can peel it off of it's current target.

My group for this was me (prot pally), arms warrior, enhancement shaman, resto shaman, and frost mage for both normal and heroic. Normal was trivial since the mobs just don't hit that hard. On heroic we had quite a rough time however with only 1 CC. The plan we used that eventually worked was to CC the rogue since he was giving us the most trouble. We put the enhancement shaman on the shaman to interrupt heals while we burned down the priestess. We killed the shaman next, then the lock, then the warrior. For the rogue it was only myself and the mage left alive and he basically kited him as best he could to finish him off.

As a tank, I recommend that you try to protect your healer at all times. Attack whatever happens to be on your healer to try to keep stuff off him as much as possible.

As far as I can tell, all the mobs in this fight are susceptible to any type of CC other than taunt. Stuns, snares, fears, sheep, etc. all work. The more CC you bring, the easier the fight will be.
Taoden

Postby Dorvan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:56 am

I may write more later, but think of this encounter as a PvP battle rather than a PvE fight and you'll be in much better shape. Yes, that means you won't be doing nearly as much traditional tanking as you would normally do.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby holysdrjr » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:52 am

Sounds like we need to bring our healing gear and hit ourselves with BoW. Use our Turn Evil spell, HoJ, Bubbles... but FoL and HL seem to be our primary weapons here. Keep the DPS alive so they can do some damage.
holysdrjr

Postby Malecandra » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:22 am

After MULTIPLE attempts at the 3rd boss on heroic, we decided this fight is really a secret 5v5 matchup in the middle of an instance.

We had shaman, rogue, warrior, hunter. We finally won by banishing the hunter, sheeping the warrior, fearing the rogue and then mana burning and running the boss and shaman out of mana. Once they could not heal, we picked them off one-by-one with ease.

Oh and btw - I wore my healing set. The whole group was in T5/ZA gear. This fight is about CC and alternative tactics.
Malecandra

Postby cordelia » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:49 am

Taoden wrote:As far as I can tell, all the mobs in this fight are susceptible to any type of CC other than taunt. Stuns, snares, fears, sheep, etc. all work. The more CC you bring, the easier the fight will be.

FWIW, Mind Control DOES NOT WORK. Spriests FTL.
cordelia

Postby Mortehl » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:09 am

Treat this fight like a 5v5 Arena match. Pull out your pvp gear cause you're not tanking anything. EVERYONE should be wearing their 2 minute trinket.

Lock down the healers, take out the MS warrior if you get it, if not focus down the healers and move on. Use short CC to interupt heals. STAY ALIVE.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Dorvan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:27 am

cordelia wrote:
Taoden wrote:As far as I can tell, all the mobs in this fight are susceptible to any type of CC other than taunt. Stuns, snares, fears, sheep, etc. all work. The more CC you bring, the easier the fight will be.

FWIW, Mind Control DOES NOT WORK. Spriests FTL.

Meh, Spriests are so win for the rest of the instance that I can forgive them this. Seriously, double MC on every pull makes this instance a lot eaiser (MC pull, then MC one of the remaining mobs).

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:09 am

Does everyone clear the whole room (if it is even possible) or just the front half before killing this boss? I was thinking about using turn evil, but was a bit afraid of aggroing the packs behind the boss.
jere

Postby Splug » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:10 am

Vladimir wrote:Hell of it is, I know it was because of me. They would've been fine with a druid/warrior tank on the fight, just because their aggro can't be dispelled.

No, it's pretty much beyond your control as a warrior too. I could pound on one target enough to keep it on me for one or two seconds (sort of), but I think tonight I'll be getting the dual wield set out and just
Mortehl wrote:Treat this fight like a 5v5 Arena match.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Queycar » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:04 pm

jere wrote:Does everyone clear the whole room (if it is even possible) or just the front half before killing this boss? I was thinking about using turn evil, but was a bit afraid of aggroing the packs behind the boss.

We just cleared the entire front half and pulled pretty far back...almost to the hallway. No problems with fearing into the packs on the other half of the room...it's always possible that we got lucky....but it is a pretty big room.
Queycar

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics