Remove Advertisements

New to protection pally, gear sucks, help me Obi wan

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

New to protection pally, gear sucks, help me Obi wan

Postby wannakatana » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:19 pm

I am just a casual player but having taken over a large guild, I feel I should try to get a little more serious. I've recently attained lvl 70 as a ret pally but feel that at this point, I should switch to protection (later to try holy as well). Our guild is really more of a social/leveling guild but there are some that want to go further and I don't want to be totally clueless and crappily geared.

My question is easy, though probably has as many answers as there are armor, gem, trinket and weapon slots! Where do I begin to improve my gear, especially since switching to prot?

* What will give me the most bang for my buck and how/where do I get it?
* Which would be the easiest and fastest for me to improve and again, how/where do I get it?

Oh and I've recently started doing BG and may try raiding also but also want to be more valuable for higher level instances. From what I've read so far, these seem to require different gear/talents/etc. to do them well. Is this true? If so, what will help me be more useful to my guild in terms of experience, gear to earn, etc., raiding or BG, or are they even necessary at all?

Thanks for any help.

PinayPrinces, Skywall server
PinayPrinces
aka WannaKatana
aka NeilPeart
aka GeddyLee
aka AlexLifeson

wannakatana

Postby ashbringer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:22 pm

I'm new here. But, even I found the stickies.
ashbringer

Postby NarfJones » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:28 pm

ashbringer wrote:I'm new here. But, even I found the stickies.

Best forum post I've seen in a long time. Ashbringer gets my seal of approval.

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=1777

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... .php?t=163

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=4844
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby wannakatana » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:34 pm

You're right, I missed the pre-raid sticky which I think is going to answer some or all of my questions.

So sorry to have taken up your precious time and thank you for your constructive reply.
PinayPrinces
aka WannaKatana
aka NeilPeart
aka GeddyLee
aka AlexLifeson

wannakatana

Heres some help

Postby Rashakal » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:55 pm

Here are the first few things to do, look at

http://failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/ ... .php?t=163

Search the AH for:
Shield of the Wayward Footman and
Cloak of Eternity Cloak is made from a tailor. Enchant cloak with +12 Dodge, and Shield with +18 Stamina.
Farm and get mats for Bracers of the Green Fortress.
Engineering is Great for Tankatronic Goggles
Buy Timewarden Leggings
Buy Continuum Blade or Crystalforged Sword and place +40 Spell Damage on it.

Then follow that guide above, and do all the Quests first for the items, then start doing normal runs to get the instance gear. as long as you have those quests still, you should be ok.
check my armory for some of my blues i still wear.
Rashakal

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:56 pm

wannakatana wrote:

You're right, I missed the pre-raid sticky which I think is going to answer some or all of my questions.

So sorry to have taken up your precious time and thank you for your constructive reply.

Since you're being snarky, a katana is not likely a great tanking weapon.

But really, the stickies here cover everything about being new to prot.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby wannakatana » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:59 pm

halabar wrote:Since you're being snarky, a katana is not likely a great tanking weapon.

Probably not, it's a motorcycle

halabar wrote:But really, the stickies here cover everything about being new to prot.
I agree. I made a mistake. I think the first reply was the snarky one.

I have to keep remembering that some people feel superior by pointing out the mistakes of others, I'm guessing to offset some failure(s) in one's real life.
Last edited by wannakatana on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PinayPrinces
aka WannaKatana
aka NeilPeart
aka GeddyLee
aka AlexLifeson

wannakatana

Re: Heres some help

Postby wannakatana » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:01 pm

Thank you for the first constructive reply despite my making a mistake and posting before reading everything available.

Rashakal wrote:Here are the first few things to do, look at

<snip>
PinayPrinces
aka WannaKatana
aka NeilPeart
aka GeddyLee
aka AlexLifeson

wannakatana

Postby Hankthetank » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:16 pm

wannakatana wrote:
halabar wrote:Since you're being snarky, a katana is not likely a great tanking weapon.

It was a sword long before it was a motorcycle...
Hankthetank

Postby wannakatana » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:22 pm

Hankthetank wrote:
wannakatana wrote:

It was a sword long before it was a motorcycle...
I don't disagree, but in my chosen username it refers to a motorcycle. Did I say it's "only" a motorcycle?
PinayPrinces
aka WannaKatana
aka NeilPeart
aka GeddyLee
aka AlexLifeson

wannakatana

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:44 pm

wannakatana wrote:I have to keep remembering that some people feel superior by pointing out the mistakes of others, I'm guessing to offset some failure(s) in one's real life.

No, it's mostly the folks getting tired of the "how do I gear up" threads, when there are at least 5 threads stickied about pre-raid gear, raid gear progression, gear enchants/enhancements, and everything in between...

the threads really are that good.

And wait until you meet Vanifae.... :twisted:

halabar

Postby wannakatana » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:38 pm

halabar wrote:No, it's mostly the folks getting tired of the "how do I gear up" threads, when there are at least 5 threads stickied about pre-raid gear, raid gear progression, gear enchants/enhancements, and everything in between...

the threads really are that good.

And wait until you meet Vanifae.... :twisted:

I understand. I really wanted to know where to start, meaning is there one armor piece or weapon that would make a large difference enough so that I would go after that one FIRST. If not, that's cool and I should just start anywhere on the lists in the stickies.

I'm weak in so many areas, I just wanted to know what would be the best first step.
PinayPrinces
aka WannaKatana
aka NeilPeart
aka GeddyLee
aka AlexLifeson

wannakatana

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:05 pm

wannakatana wrote:I understand. I really wanted to know where to start, meaning is there one armor piece or weapon that would make a large difference enough so that I would go after that one FIRST. If not, that's cool and I should just start anywhere on the lists in the stickies.

I'm weak in so many areas, I just wanted to know what would be the best first step.

That really depends a lot on you, and if you have the cash, or badges, or honor or arena points to spend. A lot of the items are quest rewards too. There are a lotta options.

I'd start on the pre-raid gear list, and work up from there.

halabar

Postby Endus » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:56 pm

One thing you can get without having much, or really any, decent gear, that will last you an incredibly long time, is the Season 1 Gladiator's Gavel. Slap a +40 spelldamage enchant on it, and that'll be your best tanking weapon until you're through Kara and moving on to further content.

All you need to do is lose 20 Eye of the Storms, and flail uselessly in enough AVs to get the honor. Obviously, it goes faster if you win bunches, but you don't need to to be able to get it.

It's easy to get, even if it takes some time, can be gotten right now, will last you a long time, and the spelldamage is enough to hold threat in the content you're doing with ease. Probably the single best bang for your buck, in a single item, you can get.
Endus

Postby wannakatana » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:17 am

Thank you so much Rashakal, Endus and Halabar.

Endus, in fact I just decided on that weapon after a guild member directed me to that vendor. I already have the 20 eye of the storms, just need more honor points (alliance seems to lose a lot so I get very little each time LOL). As ret, I was usually in the middle of the dps list. Not too bad maybe for a severely undergeared and inexperienced BG'er? I don't know, I'm just having fun. I haven't done bg since my switch to prot. I did get severely owned by an (apparently) arcane mage at crossroads.

Thanks again to the people who have provided such great answers despite my horrid posting breach of etiquette. It's so easy to criticize. You all showed great class in simply answering my question anyway.
PinayPrinces
aka WannaKatana
aka NeilPeart
aka GeddyLee
aka AlexLifeson

wannakatana

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice