Can I do it yet?

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Can I do it yet?

Postby Holyfuri » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:07 am

Let me start with a quick synopsis of my situation.

I raided for quite some time on my rogue, and had fun. I VERY recently leveled up from 1 and started playing a prot pally, which I LOVE. The guild I am in was in desperately needed a full time pally tank, so I obliged. My rogue is benched and I have been working my ass off to get geared since the guild is working on vashj and kael currently.

I successfully tank ZA, Alar, Void Reaver, and any trash that comes my way in any of those instance. With 2.4 coming we are going to head into hyjal and they want me to do the aoe wave tanking, since I am the only prot pally. I still need quite a few drops from SSC and TK, and in my honest opinion I am a bit nervous about jumping into a T6 instance to tank right now.

Do any experienced tankadins have any advice on how well I would do currently on trash in hyjal or if I should tell the guild to hold off until I get a few more pieces from SSC/TK? BTW our healers and the rest of the guild is pretty much completely geared from T5, they do an awesome job, if that makes a difference =)

Edit: added direct link to armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Holyfuri
Image
Image
User avatar
Holyfuri
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:07 am

Re: Can I do it yet?

Postby Dianora » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:10 am

Holyfuri wrote:Let me start with a quick synopsis of my situation.

I raided for quite some time on my rogue, and had fun. I VERY recently leveled up from 1 and started playing a prot pally, which I LOVE. The guild I am in was in desperately needed a full time pally tank, so I obliged. My rogue is benched and I have been working my ass off to get geared since the guild is working on vashj and kael currently.

I successfully tank ZA, Alar, Void Reaver, and any trash that comes my way in any of those instance. With 2.4 coming we are going to head into hyjal and they want me to do the aoe wave tanking, since I am the only prot pally. I still need quite a few drops from SSC and TK, and in my honest opinion I am a bit nervous about jumping into a T6 instance to tank right now.

Do any experienced tankadins have any advice on how well I would do currently on trash in hyjal or if I should tell the guild to hold off until I get a few more pieces from SSC/TK? BTW our healers and the rest of the guild is pretty much completely geared from T5, they do an awesome job, if that makes a difference =)

Edit: added direct link to armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Holyfuri


You have 368 block in your current set. Is this your main tank set or your AoE block set? It's sort of ok for AoE Hyjal trash mob, but I'd really push it up to 400 first.
ImageImageImage
User avatar
Dianora
 
Posts: 1831
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:57 am
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Styrbjoorn » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:20 am

Your gear looks fine to me, I don't think you will have any gear-related problems.
Styrbjoorn
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:14 am

Re: Can I do it yet?

Postby Holyfuri » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:29 am

Dianora wrote:
Holyfuri wrote:Let me start with a quick synopsis of my situation.

I raided for quite some time on my rogue, and had fun. I VERY recently leveled up from 1 and started playing a prot pally, which I LOVE. The guild I am in was in desperately needed a full time pally tank, so I obliged. My rogue is benched and I have been working my ass off to get geared since the guild is working on vashj and kael currently.

I successfully tank ZA, Alar, Void Reaver, and any trash that comes my way in any of those instance. With 2.4 coming we are going to head into hyjal and they want me to do the aoe wave tanking, since I am the only prot pally. I still need quite a few drops from SSC and TK, and in my honest opinion I am a bit nervous about jumping into a T6 instance to tank right now.

Do any experienced tankadins have any advice on how well I would do currently on trash in hyjal or if I should tell the guild to hold off until I get a few more pieces from SSC/TK? BTW our healers and the rest of the guild is pretty much completely geared from T5, they do an awesome job, if that makes a difference =)

Edit: added direct link to armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Holyfuri


You have 368 block in your current set. Is this your main tank set or your AoE block set? It's sort of ok for AoE Hyjal trash mob, but I'd really push it up to 400 first.


I really haven't built up a block value specific set, I have a bunch of gear in the bank I might be able to push it close to 400, but would sacrafice quite a bit of stamina to do so. I block for 375 currently in my gear with shield spec.
Image
Image
User avatar
Holyfuri
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:07 am

Postby Lieris » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:47 am

If you can get some more T5 that would be great because your block rating and spell damage are quite low. You should do okay as you are (the trash really isn't that difficult) but you are far from optimal too.

Two things you can do outside of raiding are getting the consecration libram from Sethekk Halls and enchanting your boots with Boar's Speed.
Lieris
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2181
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:49 am

Postby Lore » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:13 am

Let me put it this way: Most guilds that don't have a dedicated prot paladin simply have a Holy paladin respec and wear whatever they happen to have picked up along the way. You should be fine.

Never tell your guild not to try something. It's always worth a try.
User avatar
Lore
Global Mod
 
Posts: 7757
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:52 am

Postby Holyfuri » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:36 pm

Thank you for all of the replies, they have been most helpful.

In particular I am looking for the T5 gloves, shoulders, and either the sword off leo or the amani punisher, those should all help my spell damage and overall stats. I do find it hard sometimes to hold aggro off of the dps in our guild, even with adept's elixir and superior wizards oil and spell damage food, lol.

All easy upgrades that I will continue to look for, thanks again for the advice.
Image
Image
User avatar
Holyfuri
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:07 am

Postby Morganim » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:09 pm

Holyfuri wrote:Thank you for all of the replies, they have been most helpful.

In particular I am looking for the T5 gloves, shoulders, and either the sword off leo or the amani punisher, those should all help my spell damage and overall stats. I do find it hard sometimes to hold aggro off of the dps in our guild, even with adept's elixir and superior wizards oil and spell damage food, lol.

All easy upgrades that I will continue to look for, thanks again for the advice.



Spell damage isnt a huge issue,

I used to blue BeM sword until MH because nothing else would drop :P just tell aoe to wait a tad longer.

As for shoulders, get the ZA ones or t4 there much much better than t5 especially for aoe trash.
Morganim
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:55 pm

Postby Zyxa » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:24 am

If you're nervous get all your dps to focus a single target whilst you build some threat. There is nearly always a mob or two that are great to single target - either a Necromancer or a Banshee etc. They go down quickly, but slow enough that you'll have a nice head start.

Once you're tanking just keep fairly zoomed out and click and taunt anything that looks to be escaping - I generally save exorcism for some burst threat on anything that I've taunted back.

Remind your single target dps to occasionally change their target rather than dump all their threat on a mob that isn't getting any focussed threat from you. We seem to have a couple of folk who never quite grasp this!

Incidently, I switched to my paladin very late in our guild progress, during an attunement week. Prior to that I'd never been to SSC or TKE and only picked up 1 piece of loot whilst we were there. I did have a decent mix of Kara, T4, ZA, Badge gear, but it was certainly no better than what you're wearing.
Image
Zyxa
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:54 am


Return to Mt. Hyjal

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest