Remove Advertisements

Is it normal for a tankadin to top the Damage meter?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: ZA

Postby Pizbit » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:40 am

ulrichter wrote:Well in the guilds defense, we only had boss 1 down and 3 attempts on boss 2, so naturally there is a lot of aoe work running the guantlet to reach the second boss.

Our successful tactics for the gauntlet is for me to attract most elites and birds on the way up. Get the group to single target DPS the elites to keep them managable. But essentially i am stood at the top like a mob magnet while main party go on the tempest. Once he's dead we clear down whats left on me.

K, sounds a lot less sad! In fact fairly normal for the amount of AoE you were doing since I'd also assume you're doing it in high spell damage gear with consecrate libram etc.
Without you having said that I'd assumed you'd downed 3-4 bosses at least.
See ZA thread for stuff on there but yeah, that's the tactic I use too. stealther marks up the first 2 wind walkers(those heal). I ride up to second set, consecrate spammage and tank the whole lot, DPS kills two wind walkers, I backup to next set, rinse/repeat. Other elites die from the AoE. Second tank picks up the ones at the bottom and brings them in to the aoe. if they can. Move fast and only focus down the windwalkers, have someone non-damage ability or MD the tempest at the end to you.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Splug » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:48 am

Yeah, it sounds like you're skewing damage toward the trash very strongly there, especially if the wipes on Akil'zon were fairly quick. Try bringing up a panel in SWS for "Damage to target: Akil'zon" (or use Nallorak if you actually have a full fight for him) if you still have it logged in timeline. You can't merge pet data for it (so keep in mind felguard locks and bm hunters are going to look a lot lower unless you manually add their pet's damage), but it should put a much more realistic perspective on things. Also, if players with fullblown no-max-target AE's are still clocking in below you on trash, they may not be used to working with a paladin tank yet, especially on a gauntlet where mobs arrive in the middle of the fight. Seed of Corruption has gotten my warlock into a lot of trouble on 5+ mob pulls if there's no consecrate tanking... and I'm sure most of them have learned the hard way that going full throttle for the damage meter isn't worth it if it gets you killed.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby ulrichter » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:14 pm

yeah things evened out tonight and i settled back down to about 13% of all damage done instead of 20%. tonight trash cleared on 2nd boss 1st try and boss one shotted. Not so for fourth boss 4 attempts a 4 wipes. Boo 16k saber slashes!
ulrichter

Postby Frickit » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:06 pm

There was a time long long ago when I topped the damage meters in my heroic PUG runs.
I joined a raiding guild and Ive been under all the dps since.
If you are top of the list in ZA with 400sd your dpsers SUCK. :)
Frickit

Postby sweeney » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:09 pm

ulrichter wrote: Boo 16k saber slashes!

Bear OT, or Tauren? Check out the ZA discussions about hitboxes and how they get you into trouble on the Lynx fight. If it's a warrior OT, Savory Deviate Delight is a big help.

Horde pallies tend to have this problem more than Alliance -- I'm a dwarf tanking with a gnome warrior, so we can just stand on top of each other.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Jessiespano » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:15 am

It's possible with anything that has a lot of aoe. For instance, in MH, I'm usually number 1 until after the Anetheron fight is over.
Jessiespano

Previous

Return to General