Remove Advertisements

When to gather up during Electrical Storm?

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

When to gather up during Electrical Storm?

Postby Edgarstrong » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:23 am

Hello,

we are going to try to the Eagle boss today and we will use the strategy when the raid gathers up at MT during the ES however I wonder when exactly we should do it.

Right before the ES there is a rain sound and a black spot appears on the ground, will this be the right time to gather up? What about debuff stacks that can kill MT if too many people stand near him? Or should we wait some certain amount of time after the rain sound appears before all running to MT?

Thank you in advance.
Edgarstrong

Postby shade » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:51 am

ok what we do

A)big wigs/ DBM is a must to call out electrical storms.

B) is with about 5-10 seconds before storm starts everyone but the main tank collaspses to 1 of 2 set points based on which grp they are in. For simplicity we pick 2 corners of the centre raised portion. At this point the maintank will start backing up to the 2 points then based on which of the 2 points gets the cloud runs there. Then quickly hot up the few people might need it and move quickly to avoid the ae static shot he sends out.

The major advantage of this strat is that right before storm hits that 9 people won't eat the static shock.This strat requires pretty good comms and everyone has gotta move if they aren't under a cloud.

Good luck. :D
One to be born from a Dragon.....
shade

Postby Exalt » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:24 am

shade wrote:ok what we do

B) is with about 5-10 seconds before storm starts everyone but the main tank collaspses to 1 of 2 set points based on which grp they are in. For simplicity we pick 2 corners of the centre raised portion. At this point the maintank will start backing up to the 2 points then based on which of the 2 points gets the cloud runs there. Then quickly hot up the few people might need it and move quickly to avoid the ae static shot he sends out.

The major advantage of this strat is that right before storm hits that 9 people won't eat the static shock.This strat requires pretty good comms and everyone has gotta move if they aren't under a cloud.

We used to do that. It was hit and miss.

We recently changed tactics and we one-shot him every time.

1) Turn wow master volume to max
2) Turn ambience to max
3) Turn all other sound off
4) Pull the boss and tank him in the middle of his little platform.
5) Have everyone spread out around the platform, far enough apart that they're not getting chained
6) Tell them to ignore their boss timers
7) Tell them to collapse in the instant you hear the rain (it's really really pronounced)

There have been times where he starts the rain before the boss timer says the ability is on cooldown, and the storm starts at the INSTANT the boss mod says it can start (which screws people up if they wait until the timer is up to move).

There have also been times where he won't start the storm until 10-15 seconds after his ability has cooled down. This means everyone eats as many as 3 chains if they're collapsing 5 seconds before the timer expires.

It's really soooo much easier to just listen for it and call it out over vent.
Exalt - 70 - Argent Dawn

Exalt

Postby inthedrops » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:13 am

I know there are going to be doubters out there, I've killed Eagle at least 10 times so far, probably edging up on 15. One time last week he failed to do a storm and after ~30 seconds on wondering what we should do, we finally got overcome by static charges.

I was WAYYYYY more than the occasional 15 second delay one sometimes gets. WAYYYY more.

Anyway, I'm going to try the sound adjustment strat next time but I have a feeling it's going to be a pain to get everyone else in the raid to do it since we switch people all the time based on who is available.

Again, this was one time out of 10-15 kills and probably 30+ total attempts on him (we wipe half the time due to one or two people not knowing to collapse on the dot)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby 2ndNin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:20 am

What Exalt said.

Main tank moves to the middle of the platform, and stays put (means worst case scenario is always the scenario, everyone runs to the middle). Healers stand on the corners of the square (nearly inside the storm even if they don't move), and the dps spread round. When you hear rain you collapse onto the tank, no one should get hit by the storm at all. If someone cannot hear the rain collapse at the dbm / bigwigs mod warning, they will eat more damage as will the tank, but you shouldn't need to do this.

Moving the main tank is silly, keeping 1 point to run to minimises the worst case scenario for running (running from 1 side of the circle to other risks getting stormed). Also it reduces the distance significantly, as the safe hole is large you can basically afford a large amount of mess up and still not get zapped.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Wulfhere » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:19 am

We always do it using the maxed ambient sound trick. Really, only one person needs to do it, then that person calls out when to collapse. One time, after a wipe, the ambient sound was stuck on the max storm sound. The next try we couldn't hear the storm coming. The sound corrected after that wipe though.
Wulfhere

Postby Tiandelin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:38 am

I have all the ranged stand just outside the raised rectangular area he's standing on at the beginning. I tank him in the center, everyone else spreads out enough to avoid too many people getting static disruption.

When a storm is due, I call out and everyone steps just onto the rectangle but no farther. The eye of the storm is very large, so even the people farthest away don't have to move very far (as long as they are on the rectangle). This avoids having the whole raid get disrupted if he procrastinates.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Edgarstrong » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:38 am

Thank you for all advices and comments!

I decided to go with "collapse on MT" strategy, we killed him and I got Amani Punisher on first kill! *happy*

Once again, thanks a lot for all input, it helped a lot.
Edgarstrong

Postby 2ndNin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:04 am

Collapse on MT is the strategy, since it means you never run the risk of your dps having to run across the full circle and maybe getting hurt (more healing on raid = less on MT, MT likes healing :D).

Gratz on the punisher
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Spartes » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:15 pm

The way I have my group do it, is we do the whole ambiance sound thing (works perfectly) for the electrical storm. We call it out for those that aren't focused enough to move on their own. I however, do not have them collapse on me (MT), but have them collapse on a healer sitting in a corner of the middle square where Eagle sits. That way I don't get hit with that chain lightning and get that nature debuff on myself. Always works well, nobody dies and we one shot him every time.
Spartes

Postby Hollyhell » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:48 am

For our speed runs we have everyone collapse on our rogue.
Hollyhell

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:54 am

<edited with the new post with much better details>
Last edited by Snake-Aes on Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Frickit » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:01 am

Exalt wrote:
shade wrote:ok what we do

We used to do that. It was hit and miss.

We recently changed tactics and we one-shot him every time.

1) Turn wow master volume to max
2) Turn ambience to max
3) Turn all other sound off
4) Pull the boss and tank him in the middle of his little platform.
5) Have everyone spread out around the platform, far enough apart that they're not getting chained
6) Tell them to ignore their boss timers
7) Tell them to collapse in the instant you hear the rain (it's really really pronounced)

There have been times where he starts the rain before the boss timer says the ability is on cooldown, and the storm starts at the INSTANT the boss mod says it can start (which screws people up if they wait until the timer is up to move).

There have also been times where he won't start the storm until 10-15 seconds after his ability has cooled down. This means everyone eats as many as 3 chains if they're collapsing 5 seconds before the timer expires.

It's really soooo much easier to just listen for it and call it out over vent.

/agree the sound method is very reliable and probably easier to coordinate than the split up group method.
having everyone collapse on the tank isnt that bad to heal through.
if use DBM you're gonna get screwed unless you're also watching/listening for the storm itself.
our first few times we were running in eating a ton of chain damage then running out just as the storm was coming that was with the mod timer when Akil decided to be funky with his timing.
Frickit

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:08 pm

My Preferred setup, and that only failed once(more details on why after the description) is pretty much as was described previously:

Tank: On the center with Akil'zon
raid: spread clock-wise around the platform. here DBM/BigWigs can tell perfectly if you are too close from others.
Melee: spread behind Akil'zon. It's preferable to have them eating 1-2 shocks than you(ideally you shouldn't take more than 1 debuff. More than that and you will be in trouble, his burst potential is huge). Up to 3 melee is easy to spread.

Turn all volumes to minimum, and "Ambience" and "General" to max.
Have the raid to speak as little as possible, you'll either miss the storm or blow your ears if they keep speaking over the necessary.

As soon as the storm sound starts, the raid has about 6 seconds to collapse. That's when you call people to collapse, they go to where the melee dps is. The safe radius around the storm is fairly big if the storm is centered near him. You don't have to move at all, nor does the melee dps once their placement is optimal.

There is ONE flaw in this strat: Wipes. If the raid wiped during a storm, it won't stop, and you won't be able to call by ear when the first storm is coming in your next attempt. It normalizes after that.

It's really a blast. Worst case situation, a dpser will take damage with 1-2 stacks of the debuff on him, which is usually what the healers expect for melee. There's no wasted raid damage, the risk is minimal and you will surprise bossmod addicts when their call is 30~ seconds off.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Lauranna-Skullcrusher » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:36 am

Excellent trick

Did the audio thing last night and it worked perfectly. It was our 1st killed and got it on our 3rd try last night.

1 question tho.
In 1 occasion, the rais started and we all gathered up but he never did the thunderstorm. I could hear the rain for a whole 1 minute until he finally did his spell. I could also see the foggy screen for that full minute. Obviously that messed us up and ended up in a wipe.

I saw where you said that if you wipe during a thunderstorm the sound will keep raining, but it happened during the fight... Nobody was dead until that bug. We were 2 doing the audio trick and that happened to both of us.

I am a blood elf pally tanking it and I use my racial abilities and I was wondering if I might have silenced it at that phase so that he wasn't able to cast his thunderstorm...

Any clue?
Lauranna-Skullcrusher

Next

Return to Zul'aman