Remove Advertisements

Having trouble with Curator

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Having trouble with Curator

Postby Kanpachi » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:46 pm

I recently went into Kara with my guild as a new tank. I tanked Attumen and Moroes without much trouble, however I could not stay alive during the Curator encounter. I can keep aggro fine, but I just can't seem to stay up for the fight. I've been working on getting gear, and I'm pretty sure my gear is close to top-notch for pre-kara, but can someone make some suggestions on what I need to do? My armory page is in my signature.
Kanpachi

Postby guillex » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:42 pm

You're crittable, you're crushable, and you have really low hp.

That, and read the stickies.

The ones in the gear forum. Like really read them. Well.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby thejuice » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:27 am

i'd suggest pimping out all your gear with the best gems (12 stam, 8 Defense, etc) and getting stam chants on your shield, boots, bracers. it will be expensive but its really worth the investment. also get as many glyphs as you can (head one from KoT rep, aldor/scryer shoulder one)

also try to get the Devilshark cape from reg SV, or if u cant get that to drop, get the one from BM or even the crafted BoE one (forget what its called).

libram of repentance from badges is a must, you could be using it until BT.

finally, invest in some crafted epics, such as:
Bracers of the Green Fortress
Oathkeeper's Helm
Boots of the Protector
thejuice

Postby Nakati » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:48 am

Sorry but I am gonna be a bit harsh. Seeing tanks whitout a single enchant on any piece of gear is just about the worst thing I can see. Your gear is not bad, but not enchanting it IS BAD imo. Sure it costs but if you take tanking seriously then you should at least invest some resourses into it. Its a good chunk of stats you are missing by not doing so.
Nakati

Postby Travatron » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:12 pm

Ya, your gear isn't even really good enough to do heroics. Barely good enough for normal 5-mans. The fact that you lived through Attumen and Moroes is really a testament to your healers.

You're revered with KoT. Get your head enchant.
Run more Steamvaults for the Devilshark Cape and CE revered neck. Use the crafted cloak for now.
Put, at the very least, a +10 stam Armor kit on your BP
Enchant your bracers
Enchant your Gavel and Shield
+10 stam to your gloves, and remove that awful +6 str gem.
Clefthide Leg armor for your legs
+10 stam armor kit for your boots
There's lots of good quest trinkets you can get.

That's probably 1300+ more HP, and WAY more importantly, you'll be uncritable. Being under 490 def is absolutely inexcusable, and you'll take way more damage. As stated before, your first badge purchase should be the Libram.

You really need to run more 5-mans to get your gear up to snuff. Read the stickies (especially the failsafe uncrushability guide, that's awesome.) Good luck!
Travatron

Postby Frickit » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:42 am

Simply, Curator is supposed to be a gear check before you move on.
Frickit

Postby Cearn » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:59 am

Frickit wrote:Simply, Curator is supposed to be a gear check before you move on.

Curator is no gear check for tanks. Tanking Curator is far easier than tanking Netherspite, Prince or Illhoof.
Cearn

Postby Refute » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:02 am

Cearn wrote:
Frickit wrote:Simply, Curator is supposed to be a gear check before you move on.

Curator is no gear check for tanks. Tanking Curator is far easier than tanking Netherspite, Prince or Illhoof.

Yes... but you must kill Curator before you can kill those bosses. Thus, if you cannot tank Curator you will not be able to kill the other bosses, mainly because you can't get to them. :P
Refute

Postby Cearn » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:07 am

Refute wrote:
Cearn wrote:

Yes... but you must kill Curator before you can kill those bosses. Thus, if you cannot tank Curator you will not be able to kill the other bosses, mainly because you can't get to them. :P

So where's the check to your gear there? It's simply a non optional boss like moroes.
Cearn

Postby sweeney » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:14 am

He means it's a gear check for the DPS.

More specifically, it's a test to make sure that the DPS is wearing at least quest blues, knows how to properly output damage, and can target flares.

If you can tell us what was going wrong (multiple flares up, etc.), we can certainly offer suggestions. If you were dying after the fight had gone on for a while, it's likely the healers just ran out of gas.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Frickit » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:29 am

Sweeney wrote:He means it's a gear check for the DPS.

More specifically, it's a test to make sure that the DPS is wearing at least quest blues, knows how to properly output damage, and can target flares.

If you can tell us what was going wrong (multiple flares up, etc.), we can certainly offer suggestions. If you were dying after the fight had gone on for a while, it's likely the healers just ran out of gas.

Ya curator is really really easy for the tank its more about the rest of the raid being up to the task.
Frickit

Postby Refute » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Cearn wrote:
Refute wrote:
Cearn wrote:

So where's the check to your gear there? It's simply a non optional boss like moroes.

As was said, it's mainly a DPS check. If your DPS cannot kill the flares quick enough you won't succeed. Granted, it's not really that "hard" but it does ensure your DPS isn't loaded up in greens.
Refute

Postby Cosmoz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:21 pm

my last run (with 9 people) our warlock (first time kara) accidently pulled curator while we where figthing the last elemental pack. he died ofc, and 1 healer went down as well. well, 7 people left, and we still killed him easily :P and it was a pug.... not all pugs are bad :)
Cosmoz

Postby Ariashley » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:30 am

Cosmoz wrote:my last run (with 9 people) our warlock (first time kara) accidently pulled curator while we where figthing the last elemental pack. he died ofc, and 1 healer went down as well. well, 7 people left, and we still killed him easily :P and it was a pug.... not all pugs are bad :)

You are also not crittable or crushable and your gear has proper gems and enchants...

I didn't have any issues tanking Curator at all on Saturday on my paladin's first run through Kara. Hell of a lot easier than Nightbane. The pants and belt my toon is wearing in Armory are new since then. However, I was not crittable or crushable and also had ridiculous flare dps (Curator was at 50% before the evocate). The rest of my gear is either quest or 5-man gear, with the badge libram.

Curator is a DPS gear check and a little bit of a healing gear check. It is not generally a tanking gear check.
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Ariashley

Postby Barathorn » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:09 am

Curator is pretty much an overall raid check, if 1 part is lacking, everyone fails.

Not having enchants or not gemming properly is no excuse, if you want to tank, put the effort in basically.

Barathorn.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Next

Return to Karazhan