Remove Advertisements

Heroic Setthek Halls Final boss

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Setthek Halls Final boss

Postby Exodius » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:32 am

Greetings all. I've tanked most heroics fine without having any trouble. I was having trouble though on the last boss of heroic Setthek...

There were two things wrong...

Firstly, we had a discipline priest relatively new to healing. We managed to get up to the final boss alright, but him lacking CoH really did hampen the fight. :(

The second is what the boss does after his explosion...

He teleports and begins to cast arcane explosion. Everyone runs around behind a pillar and blocks line of sight. All good so far.

After this, he aggro dumps and randomly targets someone.

Now here is where the problem is.

A second later, he targets a second random player as a polymorph target.

My taunts almost always got the polymorph target. As they are not the real target, he will still go for the player he wants to rather than me, and by that time they likely have caused aggro themselves to keep them on more than what a judged righteousness will do.

So the "real" target of the aggro dump gets killed as my taunt is still on cooldown and I can't get the boss off them.

After that it's just a matter of attrition. We run out of people before the boss dies, and I am left to futilely try and break his mana shield unsucessfully. :(

Am I missing something? Is there some trick with consercrate or self healing or something that will be more reliable than what I was trying to do?

In the end I swapped to my CoH priest, the priest swapped to his rogue, and a warlock swapped to his warrior. After a warm up attempt we got him down.

Still, I feel this fight should be doable and I was just missing some trick to pick him up. Any tips?
Exodius

Postby Tankznspankz » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:07 am

Just wait a sec with your taunt, if that doesnt gets the boss to whack you, bop his target.

btw how the hell does he kill someone in melee ? he hits for like 900-1.5k on leather.
Tankznspankz

Postby Exodius » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:25 am

Tankznspankz wrote:Just wait a sec with your taunt, if that doesnt gets the boss to whack you, bop his target.

btw how the hell does he kill someone in melee ? he hits for like 900-1.5k on leather.

Did you not read my post? He swaps and holds a polymorph target for a long time. If you taunt at that point you get 0 extra aggro and a wasted opportunity. BoP has a cooldown, and this concept mentioned is not nearly as reliable as what I want.

I know how to juggle my aggro. I am looking for a more solid strategy than this.

Yes, he does not hit super hard. But with all the AoE and missle stuff he constantly fires, and the fact that most poeple has 6-8k health, maybe even 10k, if they stand there and get hit enough, they die withing a short period of time.

The point is that a warlock, rogue, priest, whatever should not be tanking the boss or getting melee hit at all. The tank should.

Please, I am looking for something more reliable than BoP. :?
Exodius

Postby sucellus » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:40 am

If it is an aggro reset then you'd be better off getting aggro by generating some threat rather than using taunt. Hit with with avenger's shield and/or JoR. Get someone (or yourself) to dispel the polymorph as quickly as possible. If he's still targeting someone else after a few seconds you can use taunt as they must have a threat lead. As with all aggro reset situations the key is to get DPS to generate no threat, or the minimum amount in the case of healers until you have aggro.
sucellus

Postby Exodius » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:37 am

sucellus wrote:If it is an aggro reset then you'd be better off getting aggro by generating some threat rather than using taunt. Hit with with avenger's shield and/or JoR. Get someone (or yourself) to dispel the polymorph as quickly as possible. If he's still targeting someone else after a few seconds you can use taunt as they must have a threat lead. As with all aggro reset situations the key is to get DPS to generate no threat, or the minimum amount in the case of healers until you have aggro.

Once again, these are default answers which I already know backwards. I am looking for something more creative that people have found works solidly and applies to us. Something like having the party stand in a consercrate and wait for him to come or to start healing people until he gets onto me.

For people that have done this boss well, please tell me your secrets. :?
Exodius

Postby Invisusira » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:05 am

Uh... not really sure what you're looking for here.

Don't taunt off the guy he's polymorphing. It really is that simple.
Invisusira

Postby Paksennarion » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:07 am

We have told you our "secrets". When he comes around the pillar, hit him with JoR or even do a shield-toss. You WILL pick up aggro that way. RD is unreliable at best, because of the polymorph. So simply don't use it to get him back, and instead just hit him with a high-threat move.

Honestly, you asked and were answered. You stated how you were doing it, and we gave you alternate options. There's no "trick" to the last boss in Sethekk.
Paksennarion

Postby Pizbit » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:51 pm

Been a while, but undead right? Exorcism too.
Just a sharp shot of threat and you're away.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Cearn » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Humanoid. Ikiss isn't a zombird.
I never had problems with him but using SoV (in case you're Alliance) might get you the kick right after the bump. Just switch to SoR for establishing aggro after the bump and get stacks up when you're safe ahead. This will, most of the time, not work with an afflock in your party.
Cearn

Postby Caelia » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:23 pm

SoV, consecrate when u run out, bubble to take a blast, eat a blast even :P
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Jeada » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:45 pm

I generally don't like SoV buuuuut....
It dose wonders for picking Ikiss up right after his teleport.
Jeada

Postby Exodius » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:34 am

There are some good ideas in there. Bubbling while taking a blast sounds like a good idea as we often had trouble with him running around the column. If I'm with him the whole time he has no where to run. :D

SoV ticking along sounds like a great idea too. I often forget about that tool but think it would really help.

Another idea I just thought of, the DoT from the petrified lichen guard might help keep aggro too. At 16-18k health with normal 5 man buffs it's hardly like I cannot afford to lose 1k. :P

If I combine all this with the idea of everyone in a consercrate not doing anything or me trying for healing aggro, then I think I should be set.

It might just have been the healer though. A discipline priest has small heals and no CoH, which I found when I healed with my priest really helped in getting everyone back up. They did dispel quicker, but I still think I would prefer a CoH priest keeping everyone alive. :?

Thanks for the response. Next time I'm sure to get him. :D
Exodius

SOV

Postby djellum » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:15 am

whenever i know im gonna have any threat problems, stuns, fears, etc i use SoV. just helps to keep the threat ticking.

Question - is your taunt on a macro to target his target. wouldnt that make it so that after he sheeped your taunt would fall on his next target?

djellum

Postby Cearn » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:03 pm

taunt will aggro his 2nd target (mormally 2nd after heal aggro [though im drunk]) if hes sheeping, and 1st (healer) if hes not. atually you hsouldbe able to get healer aggro, though you taunt th sheept target.

[any, nonn-readability credit em as drunk liek shit...
Cearn

Postby Caelia » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:09 pm

bandage lol as he does it before a healer heals and you go top of agro:)
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics