Remove Advertisements

Heroic Black Morass - Last Boss and my gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Black Morass - Last Boss and my gear

Postby Korbah » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:38 pm

Ok, today I tried to run Heroic BM. I thought I'd be fine since I've done a few other heroics and have MT for Kara and OT for Gruul. Also, in BM, I always drink in between pulls.. I just tell the party to wait for me to start fighting the Rift Lord. Going OOM is a problem for me whenever I tank anything, let alone start a pull with low mana.

For the first waves up to the boss, and for the first boss, I just tanked all of the adds. Second set of waves, the healer didn't heal me for ~20 seconds and I died. Luckily, we have a druid with us, so he battle rezzes me and I picked up the rift lord. For the rest of the waves up to the 2nd boss I did the same thing as the first set of waves. Second boss was cake as well, me and my hunter friend on Vent thought that this wasn't much tougher than normal BM. So we do fine up to the last boss.

For the last boss, I was running at around 30% the WHOLE fight. We got to around 30% on him, and I died because he did time stop when I was low on hp. I'm just wondering what I should do about my gear to be able to tank this. I'm also wondering if it was a combined fault of my gear and my healer, which was a shaman healer who was specced ele. His gear is nice I believe and I think that he knew what he was doing, but I know little about healing.

Needless to say, the feral druid said he was going to tank and the ele shaman was whispering my hunter friend that I was undergeared while saying in party chat that we were going to call it. =\ I don't quite know why he couldn't have just said it in party chat instead of trying to get me to leave group by saying that they were going to call it.

Here's my gear- http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... m&n=Korbah
According to Tankadin, I have ~50% pure avoidance.. which doesn't help during time stop.. I'm not quite sure what I'd need to change for my gear to be able to tank the last boss.. Do I need more armor? Do I need more health?

Healers gear- http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Shamean
He was specced ele at the time.. Right now its saying he's specced resto.

Edit: sorry for wall of text! /sadface I have trouble explaining things briefly.
Last edited by Korbah on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korbah

Postby Levantine » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:48 pm

What's a restro spec? ;D
Levantine

Postby Korbah » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:50 pm

Sorry; typo! :] He had ~1800 healing when specced resto, looks like he logged out in his ele gear now. :\ not quite sure how much +healing you'd get from being resto spec
Korbah

Postby Nunka » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:48 pm

Korbah wrote:Sorry; typo! :] He had ~1800 healing when specced resto, looks like he logged out in his ele gear now. :\ not quite sure how much +healing you'd get from being resto spec

150ish +healing from talents, assuming a mana pool of about 10k.
Image Image
Nunka

Postby Lalecize » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:17 pm

I cant see the armoury from work.

One thing to note with heroic BM is you need a GOOD healer, who is GOOD at playing one.

I tried it last night with a priest in dungeon blues....wasn't happening.

Got my guildey in to heal - ultimate cake.

It sounds like you guys did fine however as you got to the final boss. With the timestop the healer needs to get you to full HP between timestops so you can live through it.
(I have done heroic bm many a time).

This sounds like a healing issue (as i said i cant see the armoury for your gear). Basically if you can tank kara, then your probably sweet for heroic BM. Take a healer you trust, and one that can get you to full between timestops and u'll be set.
Lalecize

Postby sucellus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:15 am

I've had a look at both your gear and the healers gear.

I totally agree with Lalecize about the healer, it really is a real trial for healers. It's also about mana conservation while simultaneously being a DPS race.

I think perhaps you are geared slightly on the low side for tanking heroic BM which is why you had a problem with the final boss, but the fact you got there is a testament to your healer and whoever was nuking the adds, and you as the tank of course. I say this because the last boss is (I find) actually the easiest of all the rift lords. As generally you use your beacons on the rifts which open in the 3rd phase the whole party should be mana'd up fully for the final fight. The most common time to wipe is the 2nd boss I'd say.

It is very common to either fall behind on DPS and have another portal open before you've closed one of the others or for your healer to be oom.

I wouldn't feel bad, you did extremely well to get to the final boss and a few upgrades (and suitable healers and DPS in your group) later you'll be tanking it no problem. I wiped there last night with a mostly alt guild group on the second boss and my gear is quite a bit bitter than yours! We had been in SSC for about a million hours though so we couldn't really see straight. :-)

If at all possible, I strongly recommend this party configuration.

Shadow Priest - Excellent damage and Vampiric Touch makes BM Heroic a million times easier. You'll need less directed heals from the healer (mana conserving) and all mana using classes will get shedloads of mana from VT.

Resto Druid - I just like druid healers and this way you get MoW as well. Also, you've got a battle res should someone get killed.

Enhancement Shammy - Totems can help with mana regen some more and it doesn't matter if the shaman runs out of mana too much. Can do fairly insane DPS on the adds. Also have Ankh should they get killed which should be used before battle res.

A random ranged DPS, can be out of blastwaves so dont need much healing. Hunters are good because they can multishot mobs if they get past your shaman. Pets can just sit there DPSing the rift keepers/lords.

I often tank everything right in front of the portal with consecration (depending on the type of rift lord) which works quite well as the adds are temporarily contained before the add-nuker does his job.

Note: Drinking between fights is about to get even less feasible as it is now due to the 5second delay on full mana/health regen taking effect. Ideally you want a healer with stacks of spirit/mp5/crit or whatever the healer needs to regen mana like a maniac.

Note2: The most fun thing about BM is clearly even before you get to the portals. Get on your mount, ride around (staying well clear of medivh) gathering up every mob you can find (well, every mob you can handle, with a good healer I can handle every mob in there), bring them all back to the entrance, Retribution Aura, Blessing of Sanctuary, Seal of Wisdom, Judge 1 mob, Seal of Wisdom, Holy shield, Consecrate, get your party to AOE and heal you like crazy. I've hit over 4000DPS. If you can get http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27529 you can pop it mid fight if your healer is having a hard time, you'll be at full health in seconds.
sucellus

Postby Korbah » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:19 am

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess I will give that advice to my healer next time I run it. :] I've also found that my gear is much more based around avoidance, which doesn't help me at all during the time stop, so I'm going to work on getting more of a mitigation set. ^^
Korbah

Postby sucellus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:22 am

Korbah wrote:Thanks for the replies guys! I guess I will give that advice to my healer next time I run it. :] I've also found that my gear is much more based around avoidance, which doesn't help me at all during the time stop, so I'm going to work on getting more of a mitigation set. ^^

I've found that getting more mitigation happens naturally as you get better gear, armor is a very hard stat to stack intentionally without sacrificing other useful stats (E.g. you could go with a load of felsteel gear, but you'd lose a whole lot of avoidance).
sucellus

Postby Uthadanin » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:21 am

sucellus wrote:
Korbah wrote:Thanks for the replies guys! I guess I will give that advice to my healer next time I run it. :] I've also found that my gear is much more based around avoidance, which doesn't help me at all during the time stop, so I'm going to work on getting more of a mitigation set. ^^

I've found that getting more mitigation happens naturally as you get better gear, armor is a very hard stat to stack intentionally without sacrificing other useful stats (E.g. you could go with a load of felsteel gear, but you'd lose a whole lot of avoidance).

Armor comes along with gearing, don't seek it out except for sheilds or you will bite the bullet on avoidance.
Uthadanin

Postby Jensaarai » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:52 am

Your gear is more than fine for that boss. Obviously, your healer sucked.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Pizbit » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:26 am

sucellus wrote:Note: Drinking between fights is about to get even less feasible as it is now due to the 5second delay on full mana/health regen taking effect. Ideally you want a healer with stacks of spirit/mp5/crit or whatever the healer needs to regen mana like a maniac.

Only in arena :)
PvE there's no change.

P.S. Healer was full of fail healing a heroic(especially one of the harder ones) not healing specced. More +heal bigger heals(by around 20-30%), more regen...
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Caelia » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:33 am

I find restro druids work amazing for this place :)
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Korbah » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:40 pm

Thanks for the input guys! I ran it a few days later with a healer from my guild and we had no problems. ^^
Korbah

Postby Levantine » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:50 pm

Caelia wrote:I find restro druids work amazing for this place :)

That's the one where they roll lifeblooms and then spam Shadowbolt, isn't it?
Levantine

Postby Eanin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:03 am

For heroic Black Morass, I think I've found the strategy that works:

Put on your block gear.

Stand a little bit behind the portal, so that your consecrate picks up adds. Then, you don't worry about intercepting.

Use a big consecrate, then lots of rank one consecrates. Judge wisdom on the elite.

Kill Chronomancers immediately. They are what are killing you, not the elite. Everyone should focus on them immediately and blow them away. Make macros and call them in vent.

Don't try to tank bosses and adds together. That's what chronobeacons are for.

Don't forget to put your tank gear back on for Aeonus.

Win.

Once I got all this down, heroic BM is cake.
Eanin

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics