Remove Advertisements

0/20/41: Worth considering if you are not Maintank for ZA

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

0/20/41: Worth considering if you are not Maintank for ZA

Postby Kitsuna » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:35 pm

I recently did a ZA run as 0/20/41, offtanking and aoeing for the most part, and dpsing when that wasn't needed.

With competent healers, you can get the job done just fine- even without holy shield. The benefits of going as 0/20/41 is that it makes the boss fights a good deal easier, since you don't have a "wasted" spot. There is no need to go into all the details of what you bring as ret, but suffice it to say you contribute a lot more than you do when not tanking as prot.

Stats:
I had 14.5k unbuffed, using badge reward/kara gear and stamina trinkets. It is hard to judge, but as long as your healers are good 12.5k unbuffed is probably doable.

Specific suggestions:

On Lynx, use the BoP and DS tricks. Also, pop some heals on yourself if you are under 12k or so. Make sure not be casting heals during saberlash though, as you don't block and parry so well while casting. Make sure your healers know they need to top you off, since it is easy to forget that your 80% full bar is a good deal less as ret than prot.

You can still aoe the dragonhawks fine, thanks to redoubt. I did each side in two hatching sessions without being overwhelmed.

Remember that the bosses you are offtanking don't crush.

You will be taking more damage as ret, so you often have a little bit more mana to "top yourself off" when nothing is actively hitting you.

If you have arena gear, you can offtank an add on Hexlord.

Yes, this post is serious.

Anyway, just something to consider if you find your potential being wasted as an offtank in ZA. Have fun!
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded. -DoW
User avatar
Kitsuna
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Postby Raice » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Good post, this was actually my plan for tonight's raid since I picked up a Torch of the Damned this week. Glad to have found a post confirming my thoughts as reasonable :D
Image
Raice
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:36 pm

Postby Sthallas » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:57 pm

Raice wrote:Good post, this was actually my plan for tonight's raid since I picked up a Torch of the Damned this week. Glad to have found a post confirming my thoughts as reasonable :D
I'd rather MT it, have a full Ret Pally DPS (if you bring a 2nd pally) and have a Feral as an OT since they don't lose anything going from Bear to Cat if they change gear. Honestly a half-assed Ret pally isn't worth the spot if you're going for timers and going for timers is the only reason to switch up prot/dps and lose a healer. Otherwise if you are just clearing with no intention of getting to that 4th timer then you can run with any old group makeup.
Sthallas
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:40 pm

Postby Gowron » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 am

Our guild most succesful setup was with two healers and three tanks (feral,prot warrior and me (tankadin))

I tank all the trash, and put on my healing gear during boss fights.

The other setup I had was with me, the bear, 2 priests and a SP,
which I find more fun, because I tank everything them :)

Btw, we as a guild just cleared Kara, and aint overgearing the place.
So who-ever wrote that you need four healers for ZA.... well
Gowron
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:08 am

Postby shade » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:33 am

Sthallas wrote:
Raice wrote:Good post, this was actually my plan for tonight's raid since I picked up a Torch of the Damned this week. Glad to have found a post confirming my thoughts as reasonable :D
I'd rather MT it, have a full Ret Pally DPS (if you bring a 2nd pally) and have a Feral as an OT since they don't lose anything going from Bear to Cat if they change gear. Honestly a half-assed Ret pally isn't worth the spot if you're going for timers and going for timers is the only reason to switch up prot/dps and lose a healer. Otherwise if you are just clearing with no intention of getting to that 4th timer then you can run with any old group makeup.


i'd take as little drood firepower as possible to see hexlord as this drood form is way too problematic with him spamming moonfire and lifebloom.

i usually tank the ogre/dragonkin add in my healing gear then heal the prot warrior (tank) as the warrior form is by far the easiest to deal with.
One to be born from a Dragon.....
Image
User avatar
shade
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 am

Postby Sthallas » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:29 pm

shade wrote:
Sthallas wrote:
Raice wrote:Good post, this was actually my plan for tonight's raid since I picked up a Torch of the Damned this week. Glad to have found a post confirming my thoughts as reasonable :D
I'd rather MT it, have a full Ret Pally DPS (if you bring a 2nd pally) and have a Feral as an OT since they don't lose anything going from Bear to Cat if they change gear. Honestly a half-assed Ret pally isn't worth the spot if you're going for timers and going for timers is the only reason to switch up prot/dps and lose a healer. Otherwise if you are just clearing with no intention of getting to that 4th timer then you can run with any old group makeup.


i'd take as little drood firepower as possible to see hexlord as this drood form is way too problematic with him spamming moonfire and lifebloom.

i usually tank the ogre/dragonkin add in my healing gear then heal the prot warrior (tank) as the warrior form is by far the easiest to deal with.

HAHAHA, wut? The druid phase is cake, Mage Spellsteals (or shaman Purges if you don't like free heals) the Lifebloom and you (or any other pally/priest) use your cleanse on the moonfires. Honestly the only PITA soul siphons are Warlock due to the unstable affliction + rain of fire and the Pally due to the Wings + Consecrate, and they really aren't even that bad.
Sthallas
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:40 pm

Postby Raice » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:27 am

Update after the run (was a few days ago)

Cleared our usual 3 timed bosses easily, actually about 8 minutes faster than usual. Wasn't watching my stam going in to offtank the lynx and got 1shotted by a cleave (sort of in ret gear at the time -_- ) but bear was fine as 0/17/44. Took much more damage than I usually would in almost all situations of course, but my damage wasn't horrible. All in all, it was an effort to save me 100g from the double respec, while trying something new and fun.

The build works for ZA --- but if you're going to be offtanking, don't charge in with your 2hander and STR gear on :P
Image
Raice
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:36 pm

Postby Sthallas » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:24 am

Raice wrote:Update after the run (was a few days ago)

Cleared our usual 3 timed bosses easily, actually about 8 minutes faster than usual. Wasn't watching my stam going in to offtank the lynx and got 1shotted by a cleave (sort of in ret gear at the time -_- ) but bear was fine as 0/17/44. Took much more damage than I usually would in almost all situations of course, but my damage wasn't horrible. All in all, it was an effort to save me 100g from the double respec, while trying something new and fun.

The build works for ZA --- but if you're going to be offtanking, don't charge in with your 2hander and STR gear on :P

2 heal or 3?
Sthallas
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:40 pm


Return to Zul'aman

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?