Crimson Hand Inquisitor handling ?

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Crimson Hand Inquisitor handling ?

Postby Wingi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:55 am

Hello !

I've recently joined a guild who decided to test tanking paladins. I'm currently geared with Kz/heroic bagdes stuff and have to "compete" with heavily SSC/TK/ZA warriors.

I currently get about 800 tps (is that a standard value ?) with my 360-400 sp when the average guild tank goes for 1000-1200 (top values being 10 seconds sustained 1500+ tps on TK trash).
Of course, DPSes are quite familiar with these level of threat output so, for now, I'm not perceived as one "quick threat generating tank" ...

On top of that, there is not much space available when clearing TK corridor trash (due to sheeped mobs, raid distance to avoid aoes, etc.), so I even get less threat out.

But in the end I get used to it, I'm only tanking Al'ar's room birds where I can fully express my tanking abilities.

My real problem comes when dealing with the last elves pack preceding Kael'Thas.
I was asked to tank Crimson Hand Inquisitor (the one with the "mind flay" ability) ... I pulled it using AS, then went to melee, but due to mind flay I couldn't get close enough to cast a justice judgement on the spot, I couldn't use consecration because of a nearby sheep and finaly lost focus to DPSes who instantly went all out.

Aware of my lack of efficiency on these particuliar mob, I asked my raid leader to get another target so I can be more useful. He finally assigned this target to a druid and I ended with ... nothing to tank.

So here I am: the only tanking paladin in a guild where warrior tanks are better stuffed, I can rarely use consecration, DPS are quite entousiastics and I'm not confortable with dealing with my tanking target.
Since obviously my raid leader won't assign me another target, I have to improve my handling of theses pulls.

So, please, how do you manage Crimson Hand Inquisitors ?
Is there a "paladin compliant" way to pull TK corridors mobs so I can get enough space to consecrate at will ?

Thank you in advance for your responses,
Wingi

Ps : since I'm as french as ever, please do not mind my poor writing. If you wish me to explain or rephrase something, feel free to ask !
Wingi

Postby Huon » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:49 am

havent been to Kael yet but we always have like 3-4 tanks so I usually just hang out and let the druid/warrior tank the non CC'ed adds because I cant consecrate...

just gotta work with the classes, assign them tasks at which they excel at. you, your tanking Solarian's trash :P
Huon

Re: Crimson Hand Inquisitor handling ?

Postby Talaii » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:13 pm

Wingi wrote:Hello !

I've recently joined a guild who decided to test tanking paladins. I'm currently geared with Kz/heroic bagdes stuff and have to "compete" with heavily SSC/TK/ZA warriors.

I currently get about 800 tps (is that a standard value ?) with my 360-400 sp when the average guild tank goes for 1000-1200 (top values being 10 seconds sustained 1500+ tps on TK trash).
Of course, DPSes are quite familiar with these level of threat output so, for now, I'm not perceived as one "quick threat generating tank" ...

On top of that, there is not much space available when clearing TK corridor trash (due to sheeped mobs, raid distance to avoid aoes, etc.), so I even get less threat out.

But in the end I get used to it, I'm only tanking Al'ar's room birds where I can fully express my tanking abilities.

My real problem comes when dealing with the last elves pack preceding Kael'Thas.
I was asked to tank Crimson Hand Inquisitor (the one with the "mind flay" ability) ... I pulled it using AS, then went to melee, but due to mind flay I couldn't get close enough to cast a justice judgement on the spot, I couldn't use consecration because of a nearby sheep and finaly lost focus to DPSes who instantly went all out.

Aware of my lack of efficiency on these particuliar mob, I asked my raid leader to get another target so I can be more useful. He finally assigned this target to a druid and I ended with ... nothing to tank.

So here I am: the only tanking paladin in a guild where warrior tanks are better stuffed, I can rarely use consecration, DPS are quite entousiastics and I'm not confortable with dealing with my tanking target.
Since obviously my raid leader won't assign me another target, I have to improve my handling of theses pulls.

So, please, how do you manage Crimson Hand Inquisitors ?
Is there a "paladin compliant" way to pull TK corridors mobs so I can get enough space to consecrate at will ?

Thank you in advance for your responses,
Wingi

Ps : since I'm as french as ever, please do not mind my poor writing. If you wish me to explain or rephrase something, feel free to ask !

On the inquisitor pulls, I generally do nothing.

On the larger pulls, I take a couple of the paladin types (Vindicators early on, Crimson Hand Blood Knights near Kael) and take them for a walk. This means they don't break sheep, and I get to use consecrate. Basically: You'll do horrible threat near CC (no consecrate), and fairly average threat on casters (less holy shield and Ret aura/BoSanc procs), so let warriors or bears take those. Get yourself a couple of nice melee mobs, that either won't be dpsed first, or you can pull away to consecrate.
Talaii

Postby nicolax » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:11 am

your problem is something you will have to deal with in black temple as well or many other raids/instances. Just forget about tanking gear for trash, and use threat gear. Sheeps are a pain in the ... when you don't have a lot of space to move, and you waste time anyway by moving out of range to use consecration.

another way is just to assign you to tank the second or third target, you will always have enough time to build aggro.

ps : i'm french as well :)
nicolax

Return to Tempest Keep