Remove Advertisements

How much BV is recommended for AoE tankign SH?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Andox » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:13 am

Vagrant wrote:A bit under 17k armor and 487 block value with a 1080 holy paladin seemed to be barely enough.

Then I should be able to make it, we have imba Paladinhealers in our guild ;)
Andox

Postby Nicos » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:21 am

Just be careful on the Centurions. I tanked Heroic SH this weekend for the first time... I only have around 220 BV (still getting geared up!)... didnt have a problem with anything but the gladiator pulls. The gladiators would go down fast enough, but those Centurions were hitting me for 4k on blocks.

I'm slightly undergeared for this Heroic... but hey, we finished it and I got Boots of the Righteous. /cheer.
Nicos

Postby Tiandelin » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:54 am

I think I started AoE tanking heroic SH at around 500 BV or so, which seems to be in line with what everyone else is saying. After the first hallway and room with the hard-hitting heathens, the rest of the huge packs are a breeze. So if you can handle the first big room, you can handle the rest of the instance easily.

The gladiator packs though are by far the nastiest things you'll face in heroic SH. Sunder armor, instant mortal strikes, and the beating you'll already be taking from their auto-attacks can be very painful. I usually pop my auto-blocker and/or figurine for those if they're up, even with the gear I have now. But generally, it's "safer" not to tank all of them at low gear levels. That means either skipping them and pulling everything back to the blood guard's room or having ranged dps kite and kill a few of the gladiators.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby inthedrops » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:17 pm

I should add for clarification of my earlier post, that I have never tried to AoE tank the Gladiators in heroic SH. I'm so used to always skipping them that I didn't think to specify.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Dianora » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:37 pm

inthedrops wrote:I should add for clarification of my earlier post, that I have never tried to AoE tank the Gladiators in heroic SH. I'm so used to always skipping them that I didn't think to specify.

I usually do the Gladiator Pack after killing Kargath and Executioner (to beat the clock). Since I run around with about 450 block even in my avoidance set, I don't really get a sense of how hard they hit.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Katatonia » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:11 pm

I prefer to skip them too, unless an enchanter begs for a shot at Savagery or the non-heroic daily needs them. Waiting until the end is definitely the way to do it. They hit hard, but it's all about when you pull them. Get them at full hp, and you're probably going to wipe. Get them when they're ranging between 20-40% and it's trivial for some AE dps to kill them all before the damage is a problem.

If you have a mage, tell him to run in right after you consecrate and do a frost nova. That way if you take a huge spike of damage and think you're going to die before you get a heal, you can just take a couple steps back. Just be careful doing this if there's other melee dps with you, because they'll turn and splatter the other person in range if they can't hit you. Earthbind totem works too, and is less risky for other melee.

I use about 450 BV, with ~16500 armor and 18000 hp buffed in that set, when I tank SH.
Katatonia

Postby Worldie » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:28 pm

To be honest for the gladiator packs, the gladiator themselves hit for something like 5-800, the true problem is the Centurion which melees for 2-3k.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby grymwulf » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:21 am

I've not been able to manage it yet, as I've pretty much been concentrating on Dodge/HP after hitting uncrushable. The biggest issue is how quickly I take the guys in the Gauntlet, as I'm so used to normal just running to the end and blocking/consecrating the trash to death.

Other than that skipping the centurians seems to be pretty key as well.
grymwulf

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:31 am

I don't have much to swap for more block value so I'm usually tanking heroic SH with 250 block value. I'll end up getting a BV trinket(waiting on the last upgrades & 2.4) and see what happens. I tank it just fine.

The gladiator packs, i usually like to aoe them down too but I don't even try without a rogue. The centurion gets stunned as soon as he engages, then the rogue does his best to stunlock it. Reduces the damage income absurdly.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby aureon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:36 pm

depends.
with a t4 healer, each pack at once, 400-500 bv is enough.
if you want to do in the real aoe way*, 600+ and t5+ healer

fast way:
enter, pull whole legion and the mobs.
as soon as legion is dead, pull sentries.
mb
pull the 9 mobs.
done? 2x sentry
mb
DS, run straightforward and get 2 packs. don't kill legios, kill others.
AOE, AOE, AOE, legions will call the entire group of mobs behind.
mb
2 legions, + beastmaster
whole fognatures
mb
boss
mb
whole fire gauntlet
boss
mb
pack + pat
pack+3 mobs near it
mb
champions+beastmaster
boss
mb
3 rogues+pat
rogue+champ
mb
boss

taking something about 30min :)
oh, got a paladin haeler with 4/5 T6 and he still spams HL all the way: DON'T TRY IT AT HOME! ^^
aureon

Postby Pizbit » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:42 pm

uh, what does "mb" stand for?
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Dorvan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:29 pm

That puzzled me too, I'm pretty sure it's "mana break"

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby 2ndNin » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:16 pm

377block, healers vary from 1200 - 2200 +healing across all classes.

Its a really easy instance :D don't be scared of it.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Tekkel » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:27 am

Aye the gladiator packs can be a pita but I did it on heroic everytime untill they finally dropped my enchantin recipe ;)
When u start outgearing the instance u can actually tank one of those packs between the gladiators + 1 gladiator pack. Was fun to try that for once.
The aggro range from those packs is quite annoying by itself. Some stuff pulling those sidegroups often enough.
Tekkel

Postby aureon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:24 am

mana break, it's it.
when a warlock is asking for drink, it's the time to stop :)
aureon

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics