Remove Advertisements

Illhoof strategy: Ignore Kil'raek

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Tyaera » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:30 pm

roderick wrote:We're having a ton of trouble with Ilhoof so I'm interested in trying this strategy and potentially others if folks have thoughts. We're not on farm mode with Kara though we did down Prince last night. Our DPS could stand to be better (we tend to PUG several folks) and we have lots of trouble downing the chains fast enough.

In the past we've had a kill order of: Chains > Kil'rek > Ilhoof

Our one warlock has ignored the chains and focused exclusively on the imps with seed. We all stand in the green circle pretty much. As far as tanking I tank Ilhoof and the OT (also a paladin) heals (we run with 2 dedicated healers only). Typically a melee DPSer is focused on Kil'rek when he's up (but everyone tries to burn him down). What invariably happens is:

1. Warlock dies from imps while seeding them
2. The priest dies while in chains
3. Someone else (DPS) dies in chains

So I'm wondering, can I hold aggro on the imps and let our warlock stop "tanking" the imps? I'm thinking his seed would blow away anything I do save a constant holy wrath. Holy wrath sounds great but getting it off with folks beating on you is nearly impossible. It also seems that the imps don't always get within range of my consecrate. If I back up then Ilhoof is out of the green circle and our melee DPS has trouble getting back to the chains.

I like the idea of just ignoring kil'rek and having me tank the imps (either solo or with someone else tanking ilhoof). Split tanking would address the consecrate range problem I mentioned earlier. So is this strategy meant for out-geared Kara groups or for folks not on farm-mode like ours? Are we doing something else wrong?

Thanks,

-Roderick

Your AOE aggro will quite easily hold up under the Seed. If you are a blood elf, use Arcane Torrent to drag the imps together.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Flex » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:55 pm

We usually have one high DPS class FF Kilrek, he's dead in under 20 seconds and Illhoof goes down quickly afterwards.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Gryfalia » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:41 pm

Erm, you can most certainly kill Illhoof with dual tanking as a 'moderately geared' guild. I don't think we had killed Prince yet back when I posted about tanking both mobs and just ignoring the imp.

We still tend to do it that way, it's just easier...

Gryfalia
And more info I'm not smart enough to make pretty:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Gryfalia
Gryfalia

Postby Athon » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:12 am

My guild has always used this "ignore Kil'rek" strategy. I'm not very experience with this fight though. Yesterday I tanked imps and Illhoof and the off-tank tanked Kil'rek when he had spawned. I was using the fire resistance aura, but I was taking quite a lot of damage. The healers had trouble with keeping me up and we wiped twice. After that I asked for a flask of chromatic wonder, which upped my resistances a bit and after that the fight became much easier.

Now I'm thinking... I always use Blessing of Kings when raiding, but should I use Blessing of Sanctuary here instead? It looked like the fire damage caused by the imps is quite low, but there are a lot of them. 80 point damage reduction per hit would probably be quite significant.
Athon

Postby sweeney » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:26 am

Yes, BoSanc, Dampen Magic and the elixir whose name escapes me at the moment (reduces damage by X per hit) stack up pretty nicely.

We have a feral grab aggro on Kil'rek so he soaks Amplify Flames, so the incoming imp damage is tiny; if you're eating Amplify Flames it'd be even more important to reduce the damage. But if you're not tanking Kil'rek, with those buffs you can essentially tank any number of imps.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby keerawa » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:39 am

My Kara group just has me tank everything - Illhoof, Kil'rek, and imps. I use Fire Resist Aura and BoSanctuary. Consecrate is the only AE, although if we have a shaman along we'll have him toss down his fire elemental pet half-way through, and that weeds them out nicely.

It takes an organized healer team, since I am taking higher damage throughout from all the imps, but results in much quicker kills.
keerawa

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:52 am

In farm-mode, we just blast Illhoof and Kil'rek. I initially tank Kil'rek, then illhoof, and the subsequent spawns of kil'rek are handled untanked. He dies in 10~ seconds, which makes Illhoof's hp go down like a tankadin's mana unhealed. in alt/progression mode, the offtank tanks kil'rek and (if dps is high enough)kill him.

Basically, the quicker you can kill Kil'rek, the better killing him becomes.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby ldeboer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:20 am

Athon wrote:My guild has always used this "ignore Kil'rek" strategy. I'm not very experience with this fight though. Yesterday I tanked imps and Illhoof and the off-tank tanked Kil'rek when he had spawned. I was using the fire resistance aura, but I was taking quite a lot of damage. The healers had trouble with keeping me up and we wiped twice. After that I asked for a flask of chromatic wonder, which upped my resistances a bit and after that the fight became much easier.

Now I'm thinking... I always use Blessing of Kings when raiding, but should I use Blessing of Sanctuary here instead? It looked like the fire damage caused by the imps is quite low, but there are a lot of them. 80 point damage reduction per hit would probably be quite significant.

You talk about there being lots of fire imps up there simply shouldn't be is your lock seeding all the time ... really?

Between your consecrate and the warlock seeds there should be only a few up at any given time. If the numbers start getting up the mage(s) should aoe some down.
Last edited by ldeboer on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ldeboer

Postby Ariashley » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:21 am

We have either a) a paladin tank both Kil'rek and Illhoof or b) a tank tank each of them (druid on kil'rek), but right next to each other and just outside the green circle on the portal side.

Warlock stands on top of Illhoof pretty much and hell fires most of the time. Wipes out the imps. He gets his own healer. Rogues blade flurry to burn down Kil'rek, warlock seeds, mages throw a few AOEs, hunters multishot. Kil'rek dies often. I don't think I've seen more than 3 sacrifices in a really really long time, even with Kara geared guilds, using this strategy. Rogues with Wound Poison help a lot since they halve the healing Illhoof receives when someone is sacrificed.
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Ariashley

Postby Tyaera » Fri May 02, 2008 12:00 am

once you get to the point where your gear allows you to tank Illhoof+imps+Kil'rek, you should.

If you don't, and try to just hold the imps, or imps + Kil'rek, you will go out of mana so fast you will end up becoming a warm body doing nothing. Much better to just takeeverything and let the other tank do some damage.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Cosmoz » Fri May 02, 2008 6:52 am

Tanked illhoof for the first time this week... some other runs OT had to do it cuz I had to go afk/logg for some time and so on. I Dident remember the figth from my warlock, havent been raiding for a loooong time with my lock, soo.... well.... first I dident know the imps where not linked with Ill, so after a ready check, I just pulled the whole room :P was a good think our2nd healer hadent left yet, or it might have been to hard for 1 healer to keep me up :P but after the first 10 sec or so only the 2 bosses where left, and after that it wa s a walk in the park. tok them down fast. :)

the fun thing was listening on vent while I did it.... like, WTF are you DOING!!!!! arrggg ehhhhh.... good thing we dident die :P but i told the truth lol...never tanked Ill and I thougt it was suposed to be AOE tanked all by me ^^

PALADINS!!!!
Cosmoz

Postby samoa » Fri May 02, 2008 12:12 pm

I think this is the most fun one for me to be tanking, I just tank Kilrek,and Illhoof. I'll just use the ret aura and consecrate, I lay con down 2 times and JOR Kilrek and let range DPS take him down, then onto Illhoof. Pretty easy fight. If you don't have a lock in your grp mage will work fine, Most important thing is let the IMPS stack for a bit then send mage in to AOE them down, Rinse and do it again so that mage won't use up all of his mana AOE all the time this will help out big time.
samoa

Postby Aerfalle » Fri May 02, 2008 7:30 pm

roderick wrote:We're having a ton of trouble with Ilhoof so I'm interested in trying this strategy and potentially others if folks have thoughts. We're not on farm mode with Kara though we did down Prince last night. Our DPS could stand to be better (we tend to PUG several folks) and we have lots of trouble downing the chains fast enough.

In the past we've had a kill order of: Chains > Kil'rek > Ilhoof

Our one warlock has ignored the chains and focused exclusively on the imps with seed. We all stand in the green circle pretty much. As far as tanking I tank Ilhoof and the OT (also a paladin) heals (we run with 2 dedicated healers only). Typically a melee DPSer is focused on Kil'rek when he's up (but everyone tries to burn him down). What invariably happens is:

1. Warlock dies from imps while seeding them
2. The priest dies while in chains
3. Someone else (DPS) dies in chains

So I'm wondering, can I hold aggro on the imps and let our warlock stop "tanking" the imps? I'm thinking his seed would blow away anything I do save a constant holy wrath. Holy wrath sounds great but getting it off with folks beating on you is nearly impossible. It also seems that the imps don't always get within range of my consecrate. If I back up then Ilhoof is out of the green circle and our melee DPS has trouble getting back to the chains.

I like the idea of just ignoring kil'rek and having me tank the imps (either solo or with someone else tanking ilhoof). Split tanking would address the consecrate range problem I mentioned earlier. So is this strategy meant for out-geared Kara groups or for folks not on farm-mode like ours? Are we doing something else wrong?

Thanks,

-Roderick

It *reeeeally* sounds like your warlock is doing it wrong.

Is the warlock casting seed on illhoof? The imps should die extremely fast if he does that. Make sure he has conc aura and gg imps. Unless the warlock gets chained and no one breaks him out, he shouldn't die. Locks are very easy to heal.

Other than that, have your party members make a /tar demonic chains macro, and they should immediately kill the chains.

Ignoring kilrek is something that all my groups have done for a long time, but I don't think you need to use that strategy in order to beat the encounter if you're having trouble with it.
Aerfalle

Postby Lord_Paladin » Wed May 07, 2008 1:00 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Wait ... there's a second mob in that fight?!

Exactly :)

I've only done this fight once, first time in kara and as MT for the raid. People said to have our War OT (fury with Tank gear) hold him while I held Illhoof. But with consecrate and HS and such having the extra damage on me was nice because it meant more mana, and more mana meant he died faster. After we killed him for the first time I told the fury war to drop the shield and just let me hold aggro and kill him when he spawned. After the second time we just ignored him and he died with all the other imps.
Lord_Paladin

Postby Poin » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:49 pm

I'm really surprised there's much of a debate at all about this. The strategy my group uses is to basically leave Kil'rek up as a mana battery for me so I can keep consecrate going. I simply yank Kil'rek, position him behind Illhoof, and then spam consecrate. Ideally, Illhoof is positioned to be in my consecrate for the extra DPS, and the imps end up near Illhoof.

Then Seed of Corruption goes off five times at once, with Illhoof in range, and it's time for Yakety Sax.

This has led to us one-shotting Illhoof for months now. He's about as challenging as Attumen at this stage and is on farm something fierce. I can't imagine killing Kil'rek straight up though unless I'm tanking the whole shebang because I need him around to keep my mana up.
Poin

Previous

Return to Karazhan