The second boss in SL

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

The second boss in SL

Postby Zarnod » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:51 pm

I am a 69 prot pally and took a group into SL. The second boss in there has MC. Is there a way to stop that? Most in my group was saying a pally was the worst tank for that instance but IMO I think pally's are better than warriors in tanking situations because I can hold more aggro than them, but anyway, if anyone can tell me a trick to get past that second mob in SL I would greatly appreciate it!
Zarnod lvl 69 Paladin, Bronzebeard Realm
Zarnod

Postby Arcand » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:58 pm

Nope, that whole fight is about getting screwed repeatedly by MC and winning anyway.

Have your DPS blow their cooldowns so they aren't used against you, use mana potions to keep yourself from running out, have your hunter drop a freeze trap at the healer's feet so he spends some time frozen instead of wasting mana on whatever idiotic things the AI thinks up, and kill the boss fast before he wears you out.

If people die, have them run back. They'll often make it back to the fight before everyone dies.

As you gear up, this fight will continue to be obnoxious as all hell. Sorry.
Arcand

Postby Sithy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:00 pm

I hate that fight as a pally tank and it arguably is the worst fight for us.

Yes our taunt has an awesome range but you'll find more often than not after the second (sometimes first) mc that you will be out of mana anyway, you can't taunt and get any other threat on him before he runs off. Mana pots are useful but I usually get caught on cooldown and with no way to take damage you just kinda have to chase him and hope to get thunder clapped.
Sithy

Re: The second boss in SL

Postby Mizak » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:19 pm

Zarnod wrote:I am a 69 prot pally and took a group into SL. The second boss in there has MC. Is there a way to stop that? Most in my group was saying a pally was the worst tank for that instance but IMO I think pally's are better than warriors in tanking situations because I can hold more aggro than them, but anyway, if anyone can tell me a trick to get past that second mob in SL I would greatly appreciate it!

That's the problem with the Inciter. You can only hold good agro if 1) the mob is hitting you, or 2) you have mana to cast spells to generate threat.

With the Inciter, you are going to be always low on mana or oom after the MC, so it's going to be tough for you to restablish agro to get him to hit you.

One trick is to be sure that whoever gets agro after MC runs back to you so you can get agro back quicker.

Another trick is to have a hunter drop a freeze trap near you before he MCs, then you will get frozen during the MC and conserve your mana pool.

Another is to have a feral druid in your group for DPS for the instance, but for just Inciter, have him tank it.

If you have Ardent Defender talent and a good healer, you can literally 2-man him for an awful long time, allowing those who have died to rez and run back in to rejoin the fight.

Your groupmates weren't wrong......pallies can do just fine, but honestly a warrior could probably tank SL easier, even on the last boss (Murmur) they can intercept their way quickly out of the sonic boom while you have to time it right and run away. For SL you are better off waiting until you hit 70 if you're tanking, unless you bring a really strong group in with you.
Mizak

Postby rodos » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:30 pm

I hate this guy too. My SL runs are all cursed though -- the last 2 times I went took 5 hours and 4 hours respectively because we kept losing people and wiping on the bosses. My feeling is that both the Inciter and Nethekurse are dps races. Nethekurse before the voids get you and Inciter before everyone goes OOM and/or goes insane.

One trick I found is that if there's another person who can take some hits from him (dps warrior, or maybe a kiting class), you actually drop combat after the MC and can drink - at least a few sips. Unless they've fixed/nerfed this it can be a big help.

Be careful of the graveyard zerg. If you didn't fully clear the first hall, he can MC you from across the instance, run you into the trash and kill you.

Also, for Murmur I suggest riding out the Sonic Boom (at least on normal - never tried Heroic). As I understand it, the boom itself can never kill you - it takes you down to about 20%, regardless of where you start. The cast time is stupidly long, so all your healer has to do is wind up a big heal 1-2 seconds before it finishes and you'll easily survive his next hit. I find the trash in Murmur's room requires much more skill and coordination than Murmur himself.
rodos

Postby Echevarian » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:18 pm

I find the trash in Murmur's room requires much more skill and coordination than Murmur himself.

QFT... lordie that was a good 2 or 3 wipes. Murmur wasn't that big of a deal.
Echevarian

Postby Khayne » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:12 pm

rodos wrote:Also, for Murmur I suggest riding out the Sonic Boom (at least on normal - never tried Heroic). As I understand it, the boom itself can never kill you - it takes you down to about 20%, regardless of where you start. The cast time is stupidly long, so all your healer has to do is wind up a big heal 1-2 seconds before it finishes and you'll easily survive his next hit. I find the trash in Murmur's room requires much more skill and coordination than Murmur himself.

So that´s why i got hit for damn 11k on my last murmur when i thought i´ll just stay in because "meh, i survived this boom when i had 3k less hp, what´s it going to do to me anyway?"
Khayne

Postby Catriona » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:44 am

If you have Ardent Defender talent and a good healer, you can literally 2-man him for an awful long time, allowing those who have died to rez and run back in to rejoin the fight.

Me and my holy pally buddy have done this on heroic almost every time we go in there. The rest of the group always cries though. I always say not to release. ><
I've found that heroic Sethekk usually does the same thing. Stupid arcane volley.

Also, for Murmur I suggest riding out the Sonic Boom (at least on normal - never tried Heroic).

It's easiest on heroic to run out of the first one and then bubble through the second one. You will get blasted at least once because he doesn't give you a second to get back in like he does in normal, but the explosion in heroic gives you a dot and silences you (I can't actually recall if it does that in normal) so I don't recommend staying in for it.
Stonemaul
Catriona - holy priest / Chivalry - prot paladin / Spirallis - marks hunter / Daiya - destro lock
Catriona

Postby Tiandelin » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:21 am

Catriona wrote:

Me and my holy pally buddy have done this on heroic almost every time we go in there. The rest of the group always cries though. I always say not to release. ><
I've found that heroic Sethekk usually does the same thing. Stupid arcane volley.

Same here. Last time I did SL on heroic, I went in with a guild group, and we seemed to lose a person each sonic boom (sigh). Finally, it was just me and the pally healer, and we had to duo him down from 10% or so. Took foreeeever.

As for Ikiss, he's incredibly annoying, but mostly because he seems to love to sheep me repeatedly when I'm in a group without anyone else who can dispel magic. That fight is another one that's much easier when it comes down to tank and healer, though.

Catriona wrote:
Also, for Murmur I suggest riding out the Sonic Boom (at least on normal - never tried Heroic).

It's easiest on heroic to run out of the first one and then bubble through the second one. You will get blasted at least once because he doesn't give you a second to get back in like he does in normal, but the explosion in heroic gives you a dot and silences you (I can't actually recall if it does that in normal) so I don't recommend staying in for it.

I've actually managed to time it so that I don't get hit by thundering storm. The trick is figuring out how close to him you can stay without getting hit by sonic boom, then running back in immediately when it hits. Just make sure the boom doesn't hit you, or you're pretty much screwed.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Pizbit » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:36 pm

8min25s for the Second SL boss.
SCREW HIM!

As for murmur, well I had 16k HP when I went up VS him so my healer told me to just stay in. Fine with me, I felt like ebing lazy after the hell I went through to get there. I do NOT want to ever go there again.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Worldie » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:37 am

Your healer probably didn't know that the damage of the sonic boom is in %, so actually the more hp you have, the more you'll be hit for.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby ThugNMeThePally » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:53 pm

You have 2 options for Murmur.

A) get Ecasting bars and escape the sonic boom EVERY time making the fight the EASIEST fight in the instance (besides the first whimp).
B) stand in the sonic boom and hope you healer notices that you need a big heal FAST.

I would go with A.

And the trash up to Murmur is very laughable no skill needed but some coordination will help, skull the Cabal Executioner (think hes the one in blue armor) X the summoner. tell your group after you pull with AS dont do any DPS till you pull them back alittle the all DPS starts on the X while you hold the 3 melees off untill the summoner is down. easy as pie.

You should have 0 problems with Inciter.

yes im sure that the freeze trap and burning all your mana and cooldowns before the first MC works, but it isnt needed at all. Ive sucessfully completed the instance on normal about 5 times so far and noone in the party has ever wiped on him, if you lose arrgo after the MC (which you will) run to him as soon as the MC is over because he usually runs to a spot and stands there for a sec then charges a random party member, thats when you use RD and get arggo back and holding till the next MC is easy and if you do lose it RD again, rinse and repeat.

He usually gets off 3 MC on my random PuG... 1st on after about 20 sec, 2nd about 30sec after we start back DPSing him, 3rd about another 30sec after DPS starts. Then hes out. Yes this is the worst fight in SL, but its not hard, just annoying.
ThugNMeThePally

Postby bubblecannon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Two ways to do the inciter fight:

Slowly - go bunta at the start of the fight and tell everyone to burn cooldowns. After the first MC, switch to a very low DPS mode - wanding, etc.. slap up JoW/SoW and just wear him down - trivial fight that way.

DPS gear - inciter hits like a girl so you can pretty much tank him in DPS gear. This way threat is not so much of an issue (with SoB/JoB).

Thankfully it's the only really painful fight for a pally in all the heroics.
bubblecannon

Postby Pizbit » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Worldie wrote:Your healer probably didn't know that the damage of the sonic boom is in %, so actually the more hp you have, the more you'll be hit for.

Nah we didn't know.
...But murmur hits like a girl anyway, and with more HP even as a percentage you have more health left over with a lower HP tank. (eg 75% of 16k leaves you with 4k, 75% of 10k leaves you with 2.5k)

Plus he has epics, it was normal, as long as it was gonna leave me with a few k(which it did) we saw no reason to bother running out, lazyness ftw.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby NarfJones » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:07 pm

Pizbit wrote:
Worldie wrote:Your healer probably didn't know that the damage of the sonic boom is in %, so actually the more hp you have, the more you'll be hit for.

Nah we didn't know.
...But murmur hits like a girl anyway, and with more HP even as a percentage you have more health left over with a lower HP tank. (eg 75% of 16k leaves you with 4k, 75% of 10k leaves you with 2.5k)

Plus he has epics, it was normal, as long as it was gonna leave me with a few k(which it did) we saw no reason to bother running out, lazyness ftw.

Either way, the sonic boom puts you in AD range, every time, which is way awesome.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General Strats