Remove Advertisements

Instance progression to get geared for heroics

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Instance progression to get geared for heroics

Postby Thornin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:56 am

Lately I've been tanking Crypts a bunch just for the XP to get myself to 70, but in preparation for heroics and raids, does anyone have any recommendations on instance progression? I really want to do Black Morass, but I'm not sure if I can with the gear I have. Lately I've had some aggro issues against DPSers, but I'm not sure if it's an avoidance issue, my spell rotation is not creating enough threat, or if the DPSers are just jumping in too soon. I tanked Old Hillsbrad and found it pretty easy but I want to make sure that I'm prepped for more challenging instances.

Note: I am currently 69 despite the signature...
Thornin

Postby ulushnar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:09 pm

First, get to KoT Revered for the sword, head enchant and legs.
Then get to CE Revered for the neck.
Then get Sha'tar Exalted for the shield.
If you're Aldor, try and get Revered amongst all that for the chest. Hell, go for Exalted for the better shoulder enchant.

Once you have done these, you should have come across enough gear to make heroics/raids more managable.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Dianora » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:47 pm

Ulushnar wrote:First, get to KoT Revered for the sword, head enchant and legs.
If you're Aldor, try and get Revered amongst all that for the chest. Hell, go for Exalted for the better shoulder enchant.

Once you have done these, you should have come across enough gear to make heroics/raids more managable.

While running CE to revered, you'll most likely to be running Steam Vault over and over again. chances are, you'll see [item=27804]Devilshark Cape[/item] dropped.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Thornin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:50 pm

Ok so at this point it's not really "run X instance to get gear for Y instance" but rather faction specific equipment. Is this different with regards to raids? I hear a lot on podcasts and such that if you have Kara gear then you're ready for ZA or BT but that seems to be raid specific as opposed to 5 man instance/heroic specific. That sound right?
Thornin

Re: Instance progression to get geared for heroics

Postby GothicPL » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:59 pm

Thornin wrote:Lately I've been tanking Crypts a bunch just for the XP to get myself to 70, but in preparation for heroics and raids, does anyone have any recommendations on instance progression? I really want to do Black Morass, but I'm not sure if I can with the gear I have. Lately I've had some aggro issues against DPSers, but I'm not sure if it's an avoidance issue, my spell rotation is not creating enough threat, or if the DPSers are just jumping in too soon. I tanked Old Hillsbrad and found it pretty easy but I want to make sure that I'm prepped for more challenging instances.

Note: I am currently 69 despite the signature...

SV is a good entry level 70 instance, and apart from the rep gain it has a bunch of good tanking drops - cloak, neck, dungeon set chest. There's a healing cloak there too. I lived in SV for a while after dinging 70.

As far as TK and Auch instances go, there are quest chains that suggest natural instance progression.

Check wowhead.com for "Entry into Arcatraz" quest chain for TK instances, and similar for the Auch key (I think for SL, not sure).
GothicPL

Postby Thornin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Thanks for the help Gothic, that series of quests in Area52 leading up to Botanica and Mechanar and finally Arcatraz is definitely a good place to start.
Thornin

Postby Mizak » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm not too far ahead of you, I dinged 70 a few months ago, now I'm leaving normals behind and almost always doing Heroics.

My 2 cents (this is considering normal mode for all the instances).....

Hellfire Ramparts, Blood Furnace, Slave Pens, Underbog offer nothing really, and you should have done them plenty of times on the way up to 70.

Instances I would do first after dinging 70:

Mana Tombs - easy at 70, you should do this for the quest that yield the Flesh Beasts Metal Greaves if you haven't done so already.

Auchenai Crypts - if you are Horde, you can do it as part of the Hero of Maghar quest chain and get a nice set of avoidance tanking legs out of it.

Sethekk Halls - do it at least once for your Shadow Labs key.

Steamvault - as others have stated, run this early and often. Devilshark Cape, Breastplate of the Righteous, Ring of the Silver Hand, Gauntlets of the Bold, Steam-Hinge Chain of Valor......a lot of good drops for you as a tank here, and it's fairly easy. Be sure to bring good DPS for the last boss. This is one of the instances I would live in as an early lvl 70.....just don't be like me and run it 20+ times and still not have your cape =(

Durnholde Keep - easy, sounds like you have done it already, and you need it to get attuned for Black Morass.

Mechanar - another good starting dungeon. Second boss kinda sucks for a new group, but she can drop your Jade-Skull Breastplate. IMO she's worse than the last boss, Panthaleon, who can drop your Righteous Gloves and your Dath'Remar Ring of Defense. Mana-Wraith isn't bad either if you haven't picked up a spell dmg weapon yet.

Instances I would do after getting my feet wet a little at 70:

Black Morass - the speed of this instance makes it a little difficult until you get geared up a little bit. One of the main things I found was difficulty holding agro once you got to round 8-10 because of low mana situations. I would recommend you get a good spell dmg weapon before you attempt to tank here with your average group, as it will go a long way to assist in holding agro. Contiuum Blade is good......but you need the KoT rep, so it's a catch-22. I went with honor pts and got the S1 gavel, which honestly is probably the easiest dmg weapon to get, and it has +199 to spell dmg, which is better nearly all, if not all, normal instance drops.

Botanica - You will want to come here for your Righteous shoulders. Long instance, but lot's of bosses so plenty to do. Bosses are all easy except for the last guy (relatively speaking). Go also the Mech and Botanica to do the Arcatraz key chain, which will net you your tanking belt.

Shattered Halls - lots of AoE pulling, so like Black Morass, you will want to have a good spell dmg weapon first so you can hold agro better. Figurine of the Collosus is a good drop here for you.

Instances I would do after I had better gear:

Shadow Labyrinth - NOT easy when you are starting out at 70. You will need to gear up a little bit first, plus the 2nd boss (Inciter) is a complete PITA to tank as a pally until you can overgear the encounter a bit, imo, or you have a rock solid group. Basically you will be oom or very little mana for the Inciter fight and will have a difficult time holding agro as a early 70 tank.

Arcatraz - probably should wait a bit before tackling Arcatraz. Mobs here are a bit tougher. You'll want to come here for your Kara frag, and if you want to stick it out, your Elementium Band of the Sentry, but it's a long instance.
Mizak

Postby Thornin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:09 pm

Freakin awesome Mizak, this is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like Steamvault will definitely be the next instance I go for soon after I hit 70. My plan is to tank Kara with my guild so that at least gives me a goal to work for. I am definitely on the look out for a good Spell Damage weapon so I will work through your recommendations.

That post should be a stickied as a "I just hit 70...now what" type of post!
Thornin

Postby Lalecize » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:15 pm

Lalecize

Postby Thornin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:19 pm

Awesome, thanks!
Thornin

Postby Worldie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:55 pm

Thornin wrote:Freakin awesome Mizak, this is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like Steamvault will definitely be the next instance I go for soon after I hit 70. My plan is to tank Kara with my guild so that at least gives me a goal to work for. I am definitely on the look out for a good Spell Damage weapon so I will work through your recommendations.

That post should be a stickied as a "I just hit 70...now what" type of post!

You can easily tank Steamvault at 68. With my human tankadin i tanked basically every istance except TK ones at 68 or 69, including shattered halls and black morass.

Bosses are likely going to crush you, but well, more mana for aggro ! :)

(and btw, Pathaleon drops righteous HELM, not gloves)
There's a great tanking helm from the first boss of Shattered Halls.

As a personal suggestion if you run black morass, always judge wisdom, and use consecration rank 4, will make everything easier.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jeada » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:45 pm

I cant stress how good the Devilshark cape+ revered
neck from ce is early-mid... Hell raiding career.

Dugeon helm and shoulders got a lot of use from me also.

One thing tho, I really gotta stress, get your def raiting and Stam
up as much as possible for instances once you turn 70, It will
make you and your groups run much smoother and less stressful.
If you gotta eat food for a stam buff pluse pot elixirs for more hp/spell/ect... well then you just gotta do it. Nothing, and I mean nothing is worse then doing an instance with a tank that cant handle it.
Jeada

Postby UMIO » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:32 am

you should try get Crystalforged Sword if you can. its the best tanking sword for pallys before getting your s1 gravel thought it doesn't take long to get the gravel anyway either is a really good choice
UMIO

Postby Uthadanin » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:02 am

Dianora wrote:
Ulushnar wrote:First, get to KoT Revered for the sword, head enchant and legs.

While running CE to revered, you'll most likely to be running Steam Vault over and over again. chances are, you'll see [item=27804]Devilshark Cape[/item] dropped.

And I wouldn't bother with the CE neck if you can get the mark of the ravenguard, than after you start heroics, steam hinge necklace would replace that.
Uthadanin

Postby Minn » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:59 am

A lot of the starting heroic/KZ tankadin kit can be quested/crafted gear. It really really helps to do your homework. For example, knowing you can get by with Felsteel Gloves means one less spot where you're praying to the random number generator to drop your item on an instance run. Cloak of Eternity, Delicate Eternium Ring and Bracers of the Green Fortress are all good, though the last item is a bit more expensive to craft.

2 "do not miss" quests in Netherstorm lead to pieces you'll hang on to for a long time:
Dimensius the All-Devouring resulting in: Dabiri's Enigma

and a very long chain that leads to your Arcatraz key, starting with
Consortium Crystal Collection. Somewhere along the line you'll receive your Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard.

Both pieces I'd consider good enough for entry-level Heroic and KZ tankadins, and later on they're still quite serviceable in block value/block rating sets. I think if you focus on getting something "tanky" in every slot as soon as possible, you'll be in good shape. Depending on your circumstances, some paths may be easier than others, but it really shouldn't take too many normal 70 instance runs to get geared up for heroics.
Minn

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics