Al'ar

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Gerilith » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:18 am

Enkal wrote:Well we got him to 50% tonight, tanking was quite easy with that Boar speed enchant. The main issue was to pick him up in P2 when taunt is resisted so often. :(

I also wish DPS could stay alive during phase 2.... :(

2.6% Meleehit + precision is lovely here.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Enkal » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:01 am

Gerilith wrote:2.6% Meleehit + precision is lovely here.

Got precision but no other +hit items. :/ 50% is still good for the first night imho. :)
Enkal

Postby Crusherus » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:59 am

We tried a whole bunch of different strategies on Al'ar before we finally got him down last weekend.

We tried holding all the adds from P1 and killing them off quickly in P2. Ended up not being able to take them down quickly and safely so we just got overrun when new adds spawned each meteor.

We tried killing all the adds in P1 and having me just hold all the adds in P2 while all DPS was on Al'ar. Only problem here was getting the fresh embers onto me after a meteor and of course those lovely flame patches spawning on me with 10+ birds on me.

Finally the tried, tested, and true strategy the got him down for us: We saved no more than 2-3 adds from P1. Brought them down to 10% each and had a pair of hunters pick them off one by one at the start of P2. This made sure they all actually died before the first meteor. Then we had 2 seperate teams established. Each team had a tank, a healer, and 3-4 DPS usually 2 melee and 2 ranged. When the adds spawned after a meteor, we had someone mark a skull and X on each add. Then one team took on the skull, one team took on the X. Once the adds were at 15-20% or so, the melee ran off and DPSed Al'ar while the 2 ranged finished off the add. This ensured that we got both embers down before the next meteor. Anyone not in the teams just focused on Al'ar the whole time.

Once we got Al'ar down to 30% or so, we just had the adds dragged onto the pally tank to be held while everyone else burned down Al'ar. With only 6-8 adds left in the end, this proved to be the easiest strategy for everyone. Not saying this is the best way to do it. But if you find your raid is getting overcomplicated with the damn embers, this definately makes the fight much simpler.
Dragonmaw - US
Crusherus

Holy pally pull

Postby jojolee » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:55 am

So on our first try against Alar last night we tried this:

Phase 1:
1. holy pally w/ RD heals warlock after lifetap;
2. tankadin (me) taunts off holy pally;
3. melee dps's adds to 10%;
4. melee dps's run out of aoe range;
5. kill the adds with ranged; and
5. tankadin takes 7k damage and gets punted (up the wall my back was against).

Phase 2:
1. taunt the adds upon spawn;
2. move adds so my back is against a wall;
3. melee dps's adds to 10%;
4. melee dps's run out of aoe range;
3. kill adds with ranged; and
4. tankadin dies (4x in one fight last night).

So I am wondering, how do I keep from dying?

I have with raid buffs: 20k hp, 504 defense, 23% dodge/15% parry/72% block w/hs.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm missing something obvious - we kill one add at a time; I stay off the ramps, I hold the adds with my back against a wall... I can't seem to live past through Phase 2.

I'm wondering if tanking all adds without dps on them at all is the way to survive phase 2?
jojolee

Postby Bryne » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:59 am

What is killing you? If you're in that gear setup, you should be well able to survive one explosion at a time with an add or two beating on you. Is your DPS killing them fast enough?
Bryne

Not dying, but neither is Al'ar

Postby jojolee » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:35 am

I think what was killing me before was more than one bird blowing up at a time. We have remedied that and have gotten Al'ar down to 2% before he enraged.

I am wondering if killing the adds in phase 2 is even worth it because we've been downing both of them before the next meteor, but we're still running out of time with the enrage timer.
jojolee

Postby Korath » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:46 am

This is what I have done for the last 2 attempts (and kills) on Al'ar...

Phase 1, throw sheild at add as he spawns and comes down the ramp.. back against wall of the ramp and melee take him to low HP and single hunter finishes him off.

2nd add is coming down the ramp by this point, throw sheid at it and repeat. Run to other side of the doorway do continue with those adds.

Phase 2 starts...

Stand in middleish of the room, watch for metor and keep wacking tab, soon as you get a target throw sheild to pick both up (they generally always run off in the same direction so sheild will hit both) and then pull to the wall, druid takes one off me and my target gets taken 1st so I am free to throw sheild at next 2 adds.

Repeat.

There is alway a bear and a hunter keeping an eye out for if my sheild throw misses or if im throw across the other side of the room from a badly timed add
Last edited by Korath on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby Bryne » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:46 am

Every phoenix you kill in P2 takes 3% off Al'ar's life, so killing them is a net benefit when you consider the alternative is to get overrun with adds. If you're running into the enrage timer odds are that your melee are dropping like flies and you need to work on making sure everyone survives.

Tank the phoenix adds and mark them with a raid icon one at a time to let your ranged DPS know which one you've got solid aggro on so they can burn it down. When that one blows up, switch to the next. Focusing fire in a controlled manner like this has the advantage of killing adds faster as well as giving your healer time to catch up after you take an explosion hit.

When Al'ar goes sub-10%, your best bet is usually to finish off the last add your DPS is working on and then have everyone burn down the boss. Continue picking up adds as normal and just hold them until Al'ar dies.
Bryne

Re: Not dying, but neither is Al'ar

Postby YoYoMa » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:27 pm

jojolee wrote:I think what was killing me before was more than one bird blowing up at a time. We have remedied that and have gotten Al'ar down to 2% before he enraged.

I am wondering if killing the adds in phase 2 is even worth it because we've been downing both of them before the next meteor, but we're still running out of time with the enrage timer.

We found that having me just tank all the adds in p2 and eveybody else just tank and spank on Al'ar works way faster (at least for us). We have a hunter MD rotation onto me and I just tank all the adds over by one of the ramps. My druid healer just stand behind me so in case he picks up healing aggro the birds run right through my consecration. But yeah, once we stopped trying to kill birds in p2 this fight got crazy easy for us in addition to speeding it up quite a bit.
YoYoMa

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:51 pm

It's funny how different strats work better for different groups.

If you've got people staying alive and you're killing embers but you're still hitting the enrage timer, you could consider saving some embers from phase 1. That effectively reduces his starting hps as long as you can get them all dead before the first meteor.

Embers spawned in phase 2 should be able to account for like 54% of his health, so you do need dps on al'ar too. If everyone's working on embers and you don't have enough free time left over to swing back to al'ar before the next dive, you don't have many options... are you bringing too many healers and/or tanks?
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Jobah » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:02 pm

Each time an add is destroyed in Phase II, Al'ar's health is drained by 3 percent, relative to her base health points. Killing an add at 3 percent will kill Al'ar.

-copied from wowiki.

Can anyone verify this? Ive been seeing people say its 3% of his "current" health. Which obviously varies depending on how injured alar is...
Jobah

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:53 am

Jobah wrote:Each time an add is destroyed in Phase II, Al'ar's health is drained by 3 percent, relative to her base health points. Killing an add at 3 percent will kill Al'ar.

-copied from wowiki.

Can anyone verify this? Ive been seeing people say its 3% of his "current" health. Which obviously varies depending on how injured alar is...

There are multiple accounts of clearing alar's last 3% with a bird kill around here. It can't kill him apparently, but it can bring him to 1 hp, which is almost as good. I think it's pretty well accepted.

Every bird hurts him for 3% of his max hp, which is around 72k hps.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby NarfJones » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:10 pm

Jobah wrote:Each time an add is destroyed in Phase II, Al'ar's health is drained by 3 percent, relative to her base health points. Killing an add at 3 percent will kill Al'ar.

-copied from wowiki.

It works. It will kill her. Unless she had a dot lingering from one of the dead warlocks, she died as I killed the last add.

She is first on the agenda tonight, so I'll be able to substantiate that later.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby bubblecannon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:23 pm

I was just thinking of an alternative way of doing this fight - not sure whether it's remotely viable or not though.

But basically, with a solid block set (ZA/badge/T5/kara) I can get up to around 850 BV with 16.5K HP raid buffed (40% avoidance, 43% passive block rating).

Now having a look at the birds, they seem to have a swing timer of around 2.0 seconds (or just a tiny bit over) and are hitting for around 900-1200 on me (before BV). So that's only around 200 dmg / hit on average.

30 swings / 2 seconds, assuming 12 miss (40%) is around 3.6k dmg / sec which is pretty insane but healable with 2-3 healers.
(And with Figurine of the Colossus and

Anyway, the thought was if you tab targeted right you could pretty much get the mobs down pretty damn low on health and then just AoE the bajeezus out of them. 30 mobs aoe'd would be 90% of al'ars health.

Not a great idea for a progression kill but would be a bit of a laugh for a guild farming it. I'm planning to give it a crack when I get my ZA mask/shield. (Right now i've only got 740 BV so it's not really workable - that extra 100 dmg is 1.6k dmg/sec extra)

Now, the plan also has some major drawbacks. To collect up 30 phase 1 birds would take like 15 minutes in phase 1. Also you'd have to be very careful with your damage on the first couple of birds or just your ret-aura, bosanc, consecrate would kill a bird within around 5 minutes. So for the first 10 mins you'd have to go with BoSanc only and no consecrate.

If someone has already done this I'd be keen to see how it went
bubble
bubblecannon

Postby bubblecannon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:02 am

/bump

anybody tried this?
bubblecannon

PreviousNext

Return to Tempest Keep