Remove Advertisements

Kiting Phoenix in kael

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Kiting Phoenix in kael

Postby nightwolf » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi, im just wondering if there is any tip on kiting the phoenix in phase 4 of kael. =D I read that the only thing i need to do is to get his attention and kite him around till he explodes and let dps take down the egg. Is that right? Also do i need to keep facing the phoenix or can i just run around with my back to him?
nightwolf

Re: Kiting Phoenix in kael

Postby Dorvan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:15 pm

nightwolf wrote:Hi, im just wondering if there is any tip on kiting the phoenix in phase 4 of kael. =D I read that the only thing i need to do is to get his attention and kite him around till he explodes and let dps take down the egg. Is that right? Also do i need to keep facing the phoenix or can i just run around with my back to him?

Personally, I've always just tanked the Phoenix about 20-30 yards away from Kael so the melee can easily switch over to DPS'ing the egg. No FR gear, just my aura, and one healer is enough to keep me up.

If you're going to kiting route, you'd probably toss avenger's shield for initial aggro then run around dragging the phoenix through consecrates. You move faster than it does, so there's no need to face it...just stay above healer aggro and you'd be fine.

Again though, I'd highly recommend just tanking it.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Comandant » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:40 am

I couldnt even get aggro on a pheonix during the fight....

400 spd and I couldnt take it off the resto shaman it was chasing...

I tried both with and without AW, and used AS, JoR and also tried JoB, SoR and could not pull it off him.

Any tips?

Terroar - 70 Warlock
Zeiben - 70 Druid
Marmidon - 64 Warrior

Ducimus
Comandant

Postby Dorvan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:46 am

I've got a macro for

/target Phoenix
/cast Avenger's Shield

When the Phoenix is about to spawn I detarget Kael and start spamming the macro...works like a charm. If I miss with the shield I pop AW and toss a JoR and that's enough to grab it as well. The key is grabbing it early....if it's wanering around for 5-10 seconds before you touch it it's going to be difficult for any tank to pick it up.....we just have whoever has aggro kite it on the rare occasion that that happens (usu due to a slow MC removal on a tank)

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby PapaNasty » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:29 am

do the old phoenix bodies despawn once they die and turn into the egg?

As was just thinking I'd makeup a macro like the one above, but wasn't sure if old bodies would be around to confuse which one it targets

Also are the phoenix's on a timer?
PapaNasty of Barthilas (US)
PapaNasty

Postby Jarkeld » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:05 am

new phoenixes come about every minute or so,can get nasty if he starts doing them at the same time as pyroblasts
the key to getting them is picking them up fast, before healer aggro grabs
I like to just tank them to the side of kael where no one else is standing but close enough so everyone can get at the egg easily
also make sure you have a second tank designated to grab them if you're MCd right before it spawns
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made many people upset and generally been decided as a bad idea.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... &n=Jarkeld
Jarkeld

Postby tofino » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:39 pm

There is only one phoenix per minute, right? Barring egg births, I mean. I really pooched the pickups when we made it to phase 4 (we were rerunning Kael with a few folks who still needed the vial, myself included). In the chaos it seemed like there was a phoenix every 20 seconds :p.

I concur that if you let the phoenix start flying around, it becomes very difficult to pick up. I got a frisbee and JOR hit and it still was wandering around :(. Our raid leaders were impressed by my pally tank skillz :(. I'll have that macro next time for sure (in about 2.5 hours, assuming I get out of a meeting...)
Tofi, 70 BE Paladin, Whisperwind
tofino

Postby Jhereg » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:51 pm

The only time I had issues grabbing phoenixes was when the staff aura fell off and I got arcane burst stunned...that was a wipe.

Typically you can just run up and whack em, don't even need a shield. They tend to spawn to the back and sides of Kael, so plenty of time to grab em if they're headed for a healer outside the circle.
Jhereg

Re: Kiting Phoenix in kael

Postby Lieris » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:56 pm

Dorvan wrote:Personally, I've always just tanked the Phoenix about 20-30 yards away from Kael so the melee can easily switch over to DPS'ing the egg.

This is the best way to do it. There's no real point in kiting and you want the melee to be involved with their legendary weapons and the haste proc. I've done 6K white and CS crits with Devastation, this sort of burst damage is perfect for egg DPS so you want the eggs in easy reach of the melee.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Mouse » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:18 am

I tank it on the side of the stage near the melee like Dorcan, I cast AS and judge then turn my auto attack off so it doesnt die quickly to ensure we dont get an egg during a shield, I ususally have no problem with aggro. If by chance we re gonna have an egg during shield I burn the phoenix down so we get the egg first.
Qapla <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 Tank DK

EnsgnBlack <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 BE Prot Pally
Mouse

Return to Tempest Keep