Remove Advertisements

Suggestions on best UI to use for optimal space

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Suggestions on best UI to use for optimal space

Postby Refute » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:29 am

Hello All,

I am curious as to what everyone's opinions are regarding what UI mod (or mods) are best to make for minimizing the amount of space your UI takes.

I have a top of the line computer with a 22" WS monitor and I'd really like to clear up as much of my screen as possible.

I know some just use the standard UI for this but I was curious if there is something out there even more effecient than the standard UI in this regard (screenshots would be great!).

Btw, I typically use my keyboard, bounded keys, programmed keys, etc. for most of my setup, so I really don't need 100 buttons to click (obviously I will need to click some).

Thanks for the suggestions!
Refute

Postby NarfJones » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:14 am

Honestly, the best UI mod for screen real estate is no mod at all.

The default UI doesn't take up nearly as much space as some of the UI mods out there.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:20 am

Yeh, but it's fugly. ;D

Insanely minimal UIs can be very nice, but they don't show a lot of information and you have to be a very good binder. Def not an idea for a raid leader or assist.
Levantine

Postby Frickit » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:34 am

Levantine wrote:Yeh, but it's fugly. ;D

Insanely minimal UIs can be very nice, but they don't show a lot of information and you have to be a very good binder. Def not an idea for a raid leader or assist.

i just scale my ui down so its nice and neat, and use a bar mod for customization.
I use Grid in raids and eliminate my party frames when in a raid which frees up a lot of space.
I got a nice square minimap.
I also use a chat mod.

all in all ive been able to free up a good amount of space
Frickit

Postby Refute » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:17 am

Can anyone share their screenshots of a high-realestate setup? :)
Refute

Postby Lianamar » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:28 pm

Refute wrote:Can anyone share their screenshots of a high-realestate setup? :)

There are quite a few in the UI screenshot thread. http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=1864

I recall that there's an interesting UI column on wowinsider, but I haven't looked at it in a while.
Lianamar

Postby djellum » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:53 pm

I looked through the post linked above and chose the one called Photek wide. Someone had it posted and i liked the look of it, and liked the using of it too. To me its like buying a cpu, you have to turn off and delete 3/4 of the stuff on it to make everything work right though.

Honestly I think if you want max space just get Bartender. Drop all the buttons down about 10% and you can fit everything you need on the bottom between the chat/combat log and omen on the right. I also use Elk so you can have you buffs stack upwards from the bottom of the screen, that way it only creeps onto the play area when you have a bunch of them.

the square map is cool but not really any smaller. Maybe if theres a way to dissable the mini map and just have a button for the full screen I might be into that, since I dont really use the mini map a ton. I also thought about seeing if i could mount omen over the minimap so it would just cover it up when im in a raid/instance since the MM is fairly useless there.

All in all I havent used less space but I have fit twice as much stuff in the same space. Then again I play on a 32 inch so i can way shrink my buttons and still be able to hit them reliably.

djellum

Postby Levantine » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:09 pm

Frickit wrote:
Levantine wrote:Yeh, but it's fugly. ;D

i just scale my ui down so its nice and neat, and use a bar mod for customization.
I use Grid in raids and eliminate my party frames when in a raid which frees up a lot of space.
I got a nice square minimap.
I also use a chat mod.

all in all ive been able to free up a good amount of space

That's not insanely minimal though. I've played with unit frames, buffs/debuffs and a dot timer before (On a shadowpriest) THAT was a minimal UI, but I knew next to nothing about what the crap was going on. It was just PEWPEWPEW
Levantine

Postby Lev » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:26 am

- Don't use a seperate combatlog. There is just too much information to figure out anything anyway. If you realy want to look at it, just switch from your chat, you can't read both at the same time anyway!
Also for death-analyzing there are other mods like grim reaper or you use recount.

- Have your chat window on a 100% alpha, so if there is no text, you might see a little more. If your text font size is above 6pt you'll should be fine on every background ^^ (i use 12 pt)
Lev

Postby Neuron » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:04 pm

I'm a big minimalist too, but im lazy at bothering to config the UI. Maybe I will fix that this weekend.

TBH, I have found a lot of success at minimalization with the ACE mods Pitbull, Quartz, Bartender, Buffalo, OneBag, Recount, Omen, and so forth.

I suck at keybinds (only have about 15 main keyboard keys I ever use) but I am getting better at this.

The other neat new thing is Dock. Once it becomes stable it will become a staple in all future minimalist UIs.
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros