WoW Performance Help

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Postby QuantumDelta » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:16 am

WoW hasn't been recommended to be used with 1GB of RAM by users since before the honour system was patched in.
That was well over 2 years ago.

If you're doing anything, or in an area which is active (shatt/hillsbrad back in the day (first time you saw /lots/ of people together), 40mans, etc) you need RAM, 2GB is actually almost minimum imo though I'm told 1.5 is about the same as 2.

RAM Prices are cheap ATM.

As mentioned previously things like bumping your reso (desktop and ingame) to whatever is native to your graphics card will be likely to help significantly.
Draw distance and Spell Detail are _THE_ system hogs, draw distance mainly sucks up CPU time and spell detail sucks up GPU time.
I had a system similar to yours in spell intensive raids I had to turn it all the way off or I just couldn't play.
I tanked my way through SSC with 2 FPS and when you're tanking more or less everything in there (trash -> hydross -> lurker -> leo -> moro locks -> vashj) that your raid will be competing against you for it's HELL.

Since then I upgraded my system *cheaply* to the max cap my mobo can handle (best RAM/GPUBudget/CPU <- Dual Core) now I'm running on 1600x1200x32(or 24 or whatever quirky setting wow uses by default)x2x2 at smoothe frame rates.

It may sound a copout to tell you to upgrade but the people making that suggestion are doing so correctly in my opinion.

UI enhancements barely effect FPS/Memory Usage if they're decently designed, CPU usage is a little different depending on the addons job.. but even then, the impact is rarely huge.

Not really too much more you can do about it.

Invisusira: Running with less than optimal info available to you is limiting yourself.
Viewing it as being dependant on addons is wrong, any end game player (PvP/PvE) can play without them, however you put yourself at a disadvantage to other players when you don't use them, because they can/will use them.
Nothing to do with the game.
*If you're talking about Arena season end finales that's different but don't make it an excuse not to put yourself in the /best/ position to do your job, because you can't be bothered to fix 'broken addons' if blizz decide to remove some functionality.
That kind of mentality is like saying you wont play with gems or enchants.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Sloath » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:43 am

Impervium: Regardless of the clarification, he's since stated, or rather posted a screenshot of the list of mods he's using. I was responding directly to that list citing the Cowtip/memory leak issue.

Morpheren: While I agree in part with QuantumDelta and the others that lowering your resolution and or upgrading your RAM may help, I'm still not convienced it adresses the issue. You've stated you had increased memory usage as the length of time you play.. this is typical of a leak of some sort, and I feel it's the underlying issue here. If your memory gets eaten up by a leak, your FPS will suffer, I don't think anyone here would dispute that.

When you say you had a "clean install of Wow and Windows with NO addons installed" were the addons not on your system at all? Or were they just disabled at the player selection screen? When you say your FPS drops in crowed or AOE situations, does it always rebound to your highest expected Framerate?
Sloath

Postby Morpheren » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:00 pm

Sloath wrote:When you say you had a "clean install of Wow and Windows with NO addons installed" were the addons not on your system at all? Or were they just disabled at the player selection screen? When you say your FPS drops in crowed or AOE situations, does it always rebound to your highest expected Framerate?

Clean is exactly that, i formatted my drive, installed windows/drivers, and installed wow. no mods at all.

I might shop around for some ram, but i'm actually looking to build a new PC soon, so we'll see if i want to justify the cost.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Previous

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros