Remove Advertisements

WoW Performance Help

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Postby guillex » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:56 am

CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitors have a maximum resolution... nothing native, IIRC.

Honestly though, try sifting through your addons bud.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Morpheren » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:58 am

Invisusira wrote:Best solution? Get rid of your mods.

I personally hate how much people rely on addons. I only run a couple - omen, outfitter, powerauras, swstats, tankpoints, atlasloot - none of which serve vital functions and all of which can be turned off at will. Ditch your mods and you will be amazed at how much better the game runs.

I dont know if it was implied correctly, but I meant that the game runs like this with a clean install of Windows, Warcraft, and NO addons installed.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby Levantine » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:10 am

I personally hate how much people rely on addons. I only run a couple - omen, outfitter, powerauras, swstats, tankpoints, atlasloot - none of which serve vital functions and all of which can be turned off at will. Ditch your mods and you will be amazed at how much better the game runs.

I CAN play without mods, and none of my mods do anything for me. I don't run Clique or anything like that. I use mods for aesthetic purposes, since I hatehatehate the default UI. Does that make me less of a player?
Levantine

Postby guillex » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:14 am

Levantine wrote:

I CAN play without mods, and none of my mods do anything for me. I don't run Clique or anything like that. I use mods for aesthetic purposes, since I hatehatehate the default UI. Does that make me less of a player?

Nope.

He was referring to the people who RELY on mods to play the game for them. I could get rid of all my addons also, and still be able to play. I, like you, use my mods for aesthetic purposes, because I really don't like the default UI, nor do I like the bar placement.

Doesn't make you more or less competent.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Morpheren » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:18 am

Levantine wrote:I CAN play without mods, and none of my mods do anything for me. I don't run Clique or anything like that. I use mods for aesthetic purposes, since I hatehatehate the default UI. Does that make me less of a player?

Hey, quit thread jacking. :P

I feel the same though, I use more visual mods than "utility".

Bartender
Xperl
ElkBuffBars
Simple Minimap
eePanels
Prat

I'm gonna try to get that screen of PerformanceFu at lunch today.
Morpheren

Postby Morpheren » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:48 am

http://img.whatisboom.com/user/PerformanceFu.JPG - note this pic my be offline, moved apartments and haven't set my server back up yet.

This was after a quick badge run in Kara.
Last edited by Morpheren on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morpheren

Postby Morpheren » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:53 pm

Bump. Nothing I've tried so far has helped.
Morpheren

Postby Oohnagi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:46 am

Memory increase like that after a kara run would suggest you have a damage meters running (recount, etc) that would be using up more memory at the end than at the start of a run. If you are considering cleaning mods out, and you have a dps meter, try ditching it first to see if things improve.
Oohnagi
Maintankadonor

Postby Sloath » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:08 am

I just went through a similar situation, the culprit was a small memory leak in Pitbull that started with an API change on blizzards part.

http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=11676.0

That thread explores the problem a user had with pitbull, but its possible the same thing could have cropped up in Xperl aswell.
Sloath

Postby Refute » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:53 am

To the OP - I too highly suggest another gig of RAM. Also, you can get a significant video card upgrade for fairly cheap.

Do you have any money to work with? If so, how much? I can link you some items from newegg if you're interested - just let me know how much you can use.
Refute

Postby Morpheren » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:50 pm

Oohnagi wrote:Memory increase like that after a kara run would suggest you have a damage meters running (recount, etc) that would be using up more memory at the end than at the start of a run. If you are considering cleaning mods out, and you have a dps meter, try ditching it first to see if things improve.

Nope disabled Recount (was my only running dmg meter) a few weeks ago.

also top 10 addons (by size) are listed in the screenshot i posted which is functioning again. http://img.whatisboom.com/user/PerformanceFu.JPG
Morpheren

Postby Sloath » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Can't be bothered to read the link I posted hm? OK.. Cowtip's been affected by the same memory problem, update that and the related library's and you'll probably be all set.

Palt
Sloath

Postby Morpheren » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:26 pm

can't be bothered to read that I've had this problem with ZERO addons installed?
Morpheren

Postby Sloath » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:47 am

Hey now, you've not once mentioned anything about not running with mods. You mentioned a "fresh install of wow and windows", which hardly equates to running without mods. For all I know you re-installed the mods "fresh" too, I'm only trying to help here.

I mentioned that thread in a previous post, as it seems it's only one example of a problem with the libs in some of the Ace2 mods. It also means its not one mod's problem. Any and all mods that install the embedded lib can be the culprit, so you have to update all the effected mods to fix the problem. Leaving one version of the Lib leads to a "one bad apple" type scenario.

I only posted here once I saw your Performance Fu listed Cowtip, which has been listed as one of the mods containing the lib that makes the erronous API call and subsequent memory leak. Delete Cowtip, or re-install the current version, give it a go, and see if it helps.

I know once they determined the problem with pitbul, I updated, the exact same problem I had went away.

Palt
Sloath

Postby Impervium » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:55 am

Morpheren wrote:

I dont know if it was implied correctly, but I meant that the game runs like this with a clean install of Windows, Warcraft, and NO addons installed.

Actually he did state that by clarifying his statement.
Impervium

PreviousNext

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros