WoW Performance Help

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

WoW Performance Help

Postby Morpheren » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:51 pm

I know this isn't really Tankadin specific, but I value your opinions LOL.

My system specs:

AMD Athlon 2400+ (2.0 clock speed)
1gb Corsair 400mhz RAM
256 ATI Radeon 9550
Windows XP Pro

PerformanceFu SS after a Kara run

Generally when I start WoW, PerformanceFu reports addon memory @ ~25mb (maybe less will edit when I get home if this is wrong) and in "less than crowded" area's I get decent (~20 fps) frame rates (IE questing/farming) but places like Shat, or 25 man raids, especially when I'm AoE tanking, I get horrible (~1 fps) frame rates.

The reason I mention PerformanceFu's starting values, is after a hour or so of raiding, I notice that it's reporting upwards of 45-50 mb of addon memory. Usually I just /console reloadui to clear it, and it helps a little, but even on a fresh installation of Windows, and WoW (being the only "real" program installed other than drivers) I still get crap fps in Shat. Now I know my PC isn't the best, but I should get better than 6-10 fps in Shat. I have my graphic settings at about medium, some all the way down.

Any tips either in WoW, or in my Catalyst settings to help get things moving along? I think it maybe bottlenecked on my CPU, as all my addons are WoWace (90%) so I dont feel that memory is a huge issue, aside from what seems to be a possible memory leak, but even with a fresh start FPS is craptastic.
Last edited by Morpheren on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby Impervium » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:14 pm

Personally, I'd see if you can throw another gig of ram in you machine. If not, try and get at least another 512 meg.

Within WoW, try lowering some of the graphic settings. I don't know what yours are set at, so I can't give you specific suggestions. Big memory hogs seem to be spell effects, weather, shadows, and draw distance.
Impervium

Postby Morpheren » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:20 pm

Morpheren wrote:I have my graphic settings at about medium, some all the way down.

Almost everything except draw distance and spell effects are @ minimal settings, and those two are @ 50% only because I need to be able to see what I'm pulling and also if spell detail goes any lower I can't see consecrate.
Morpheren

Postby Impervium » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:25 pm

Oops... Missed that line. Sorry about that. Only other thing I can think of in WoW is maybe your resolution. Normally I run WoW on my machine, I have it in max resolution in windowed mode. But when I am running both my accounts at the same time, I run one window at 1280x1040 and the other at 800x600 (or whatever that option is).
Impervium

Postby Maethoriel » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:32 pm

i would also recommend adding 1 gig ram, other than that you system
looks fine. make sure that you did not enable cpu profiling in performance
fu! keep that one disabled, it will hurt your fps.
also defragment you wow installation, when low on ram your os will swap
files to disk more often, accessing those is terrible slow compared to ram.

*** Edit ***
you might as well try to find the culprit of these insane memory increases,
it will not make your wow run smother or increase your fps, but still it's
sounds strange. enable memory gain in performance fu and watch what
gets the most ram allocated over time. but keep in mind that these numbers
can be missleading sometimes as libraries (ace2, rock, babble stuff) will get
blamed for some bad memorie hogs.
don't be alarmed to see "Ace2" at 6mb+ if you are not running disembedded
libs. (if you don't know what it means, you are not running disembedded and
you will not gain much using it. most times it's not worth it.)
Last edited by Maethoriel on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maethoriel

Postby Morpheren » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Impervium wrote:Oops... Missed that line. Sorry about that. Only other thing I can think of in WoW is maybe your resolution. Normally I run WoW on my machine, I have it in max resolution in windowed mode. But when I am running both my accounts at the same time, I run one window at 1280x1040 and the other at 800x600 (or whatever that option is).

Thought as much, I run windowed, and full screen @ 1280x1024 although I think that lowering the rez hasn't helped as much as you'd think, I will try lowering the rez tonight (although tonight I'm raiding on my roomates PC which run beautifully).

Also, My buddy, had a PC with almost the exact same spec's (cept branding was different).

Intel P4 3.0 ghz
1gb (not sure FSB speed) RAM
256 nVidia GFX
XP home

He played @ same rez but got 60 fps in SHAT with max details.
Morpheren

Postby Airanna » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:34 pm

You're using an ATI card, if you go in your Catalyst settings there is an option to disable Catalyst A.I.

For some reason this feature eats your frame rates in wow, disabling it should see at least doubled if not tripled frame rates. I did so on my girlfriend's laptop this weekend and she went from averaging 4 fps in the middle of nowhere to 10 fps in the middle of shattrath.

Also, is your sound enabled? Disabling sound on a system with limited ram can drastically improve performance as well.
Airanna

Postby Morpheren » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Airanna wrote:You're using an ATI card, if you go in your Catalyst settings there is an option to disable Catalyst A.I.

For some reason this feature eats your frame rates in wow, disabling it should see at least doubled if not tripled frame rates. I did so on my girlfriend's laptop this weekend and she went from averaging 4 fps in the middle of nowhere to 10 fps in the middle of shattrath.

I think this may help, I had read before that the "Overdrive" function would increase FPS, but couldn't find it, must have been renamed in a certain release of the Catalyst drivers.
Morpheren

Postby Airanna » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Overdrive is a seperate utility available from AMD (who purchased ATI), it's an overclocking utility for AMD chips/chipsets and ATI vid cards. I highly recommend it.
Airanna

Postby Morpheren » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:43 pm

Airanna wrote:Overdrive is a seperate utility available from AMD (who purchased ATI), it's an overclocking utility for AMD chips/chipsets and ATI vid cards. I highly recommend it.

I was considering overclocking my cpu and ram possibly, I've got a decent cooler on my CPU (would remain as air cooled) but I guess that discussion is neither here nor there, but please drop me a PM if you've got some tips for OC'ing a AMD/ATI rig. I've got a Soyo mobo that's not locked down in any way (KT400 I think is model number).
Morpheren

Postby guillex » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Morpheren wrote:
Airanna wrote:Overdrive is a seperate utility available from AMD (who purchased ATI), it's an overclocking utility for AMD chips/chipsets and ATI vid cards. I highly recommend it.

I was considering overclocking my cpu and ram possibly, I've got a decent cooler on my CPU (would remain as air cooled) but I guess that discussion is neither here nor there, but please drop me a PM if you've got some tips for OC'ing a AMD/ATI rig. I've got a Soyo mobo that's not locked down in any way (KT400 I think is model number).

Don't go into overclocking if you're not 150% sure what you're doing, and you have more than adequate cooling. Honestly.

Also, I'd turn OFF all of your mods, and see if that changes anything. If it does, then you have the tedious task of enabling one at a time to see which addon is killing you. I had the same problem on my old box, which was slightly better than what you have listed here ... And it was an addon problem.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Uthadanin » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:58 am

I will make another odd suggestion.

IF your graphics card/monitor have a native resolution, use that. I went from 4 fps in shat to 14 by going up in resolution *when I bough my 22" widescreen monitor. My rig is very old.

p4 (socket 478) 2.0 ghz processor clocked to 2.2ghz
1.5 gb ddr ram
geforce 6200 graphics card (agp 8x)
vista home premium OS
I run a 30gb hard-drive with just WoW and WoW addons on.

Shat still gives me trouble during peak hours but I sit @ 12-20fps in any raid.
Uthadanin

Postby Dakiros » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:15 am

Airanna wrote:You're using an ATI card, if you go in your Catalyst settings there is an option to disable Catalyst A.I.

Also, is your sound enabled? Disabling sound on a system with limited ram can drastically improve performance as well.

My frame rate got even worse when I disabled AI on my machine, runs much better with it turned on. There was a scaler on the AI page (can't remember what its called and I am on a different PC) that I turned up all the way and that seemed to improve my frame rate.
Dakiros

Postby Morpheren » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:51 am

Dakiros wrote:My frame rate got even worse when I disabled AI on my machine, runs much better with it turned on. There was a scaler on the AI page (can't remember what its called and I am on a different PC) that I turned up all the way and that seemed to improve my frame rate.

Yeah, it didn't help much, if at all. Might try messing with the AI settings a bit tonight..

And @ Uthadanin:

I didn't think CTR's had a native res. . . but then again I could be wrong.
Morpheren

Postby Invisusira » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:55 am

Best solution? Get rid of your mods.

I personally hate how much people rely on addons. I only run a couple - omen, outfitter, powerauras, swstats, tankpoints, atlasloot - none of which serve vital functions and all of which can be turned off at will. Ditch your mods and you will be amazed at how much better the game runs.
Invisusira

Next

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros