Wowace Woes

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Postby DamnLag » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:52 pm

Do people still use Internet Explorer?

Do NOT turn off UAC!

If you apply the same precautions as you've always had to take before UAC your in no more danger then having it enabled. Your being an alarmist. I have had this "feature" :roll: disabled since day one, and I am fairly certain I am not the only one. Nor do I fear for my safety (online).
Batteries not included.
DamnLag

Postby Everlight » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:05 pm

DamnLag wrote:If you apply the same precautions as you've always had to take before UAC your in no more danger then having it enabled. Your being an alarmist. I have had this "feature" :roll: disabled since day one, and I am fairly certain I am not the only one. Nor do I fear for my safety (online).

No, I'm not being an alarmist. The fact is, somebody who needs to be shown where UAC is turned on or off really shouldn't be turning it off, nor should you be recommending someone compromise the security of their system in an effort to make one non-critical application work, when it's not going to help anyway.

I'm a seasoned IT professional, and I'm also a qualified programmer. I'm more than experienced enough to run with UAC turned off, and guess what?

I don't. Because it's dumb turning it off just because a dialog box bugs you every now and then.

Why go mountain climbing without a safety line?
Everlight

Postby Everlight » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:18 pm

DamnLag wrote:Do people still use Internet Explorer?

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

The majority of people do. Note that the figures there don't add up to 100%, since a lot of things can cause the user agent field to not show, including some application-level firewall products.

Suggesting the disabling of UAC for a user who;

* You have no idea of their technical skill and savvy
* You don't know what browser they use and what sites they frequent
* You don't know what other kind of protective software they use

Is quite simply irresponsible. UAC does a lot more than just bug you, and disabling it is most certainly not a panacea to solve all your Vista woes.

Basically, if the app doesn't run when you click "Run As Administrator", it ain't gonna run when you disable UAC. The next thing I'd suggest is trying the various compatibility modes. They don't work all the time, but that might solve your problem.

Read up on UAC at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control . Note that most of the criticism about UAC stems from reviews before Vista's release, when large segments of the Windows API triggered elevation requests for innocuous tasks, before Microsoft went and excluded them.
Everlight

Postby Everlight » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:34 pm

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... ncher.html

Could potentially be what you're after. Note I haven't looked in depth at this, nor tried this app myself.
Everlight

Postby Theowyn » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:01 am

Listen to Everlight. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about. He's got me thinking about reactivating it :P
Theowyn

Postby papy72 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:09 am

Um, I didn't mean to start such a controvery when I asked about the UAC. Actually I appreciate the commentary Everlight. I will probably keep UAC on as a result.

And that's not because I'm some kind of idiot. I consider myself pretty computer savvy (just not with Vista), run with fully udated firewalls and AV software, and DON'T follow random links to web sites as I still fear being keylogged.

My question was more out of curiosity as my wife and kids machines both are giving me headaches with Vista and I wanted to see if this would help. But as I've already tried running as the admin obviously that won't help me.

Thanks again for the info.
papy72

Postby Rascalflatt » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:42 am

I'm running Vista x64 and WAU works fine. At first it was a little picky and wouldn't update, I think I had the bugged version. I re-downloaded and installed and its been working great for a month now.
Rascalflatt

Postby Warrender » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:00 pm

Rascalflatt wrote:I'm running Vista x64 and WAU works fine. At first it was a little picky and wouldn't update, I think I had the bugged version. I re-downloaded and installed and its been working great for a month now.

I've had the same experience except I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby guillex » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:47 am

Everlight wrote:Do NOT turn off UAC!

User Account Control is not there to piss you off - it's there to stop you getting absolutely smashed by something you didn't intend to run (hello viruses). Disabling UAC is a really good way to compromise the security of your system and get yourself owned by a keylogger.

If you've already tried running the app as Admin, UAC is disabled for that app anyway, in which case disabling it overall won't help.

Disabling UAC also has the side effect of turning off the sandbox features of Internet Explorer, which will dramatically increase your chance of getting something nasty hit you.

Seriously, don't disable UAC. It's there to protect you.

I agree, even though I'm not running Vista. Yeah, it's annoying. Yeah, it'll pop up more often than on a mac. But it IS designed to help you make correct decisions on what runs and what doesn't.

Get in touch with the WAU people, post in their forums if they exist, or just check around to see if others running Vista don't have a similar problem.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Omatre » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:32 am

Read the error. It says memory exception.

You have one of four problems possible. Corrupted installation from the software.

Bad Memory (MemTest, use it, or SiSoft Sandra)

Registry issues is possible also, but not as likely.

and the hidden statement that I doubt you have, but I'm gonna throw it out there. Is this system overclocked by any chance?

OC'ing past a certain level seems to trigger crappy programs into memory problems. I've had it happen to me enough that I say, hrrrm, either find a replacement for said POS software, or tick my OC back a few points, because its beating on the memory too much for some reason and causing crashes.
Omatre

Postby Igrado » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:54 pm

Theowyn wrote:Listen to Everlight. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about. He's got me thinking about reactivating it :P

I just got a new PC with Vista on it, I turned off UAC because I'm computer savvy enough to watch my own ass, but now that I've gone through all the downloading and setups for WOW and the PC in general, I think I will reenable it for that extra bit of security.
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Postby Omatre » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:43 pm

My laptop has it, and since you rarely "launch" programs, its not a bad thing to have on. During setup of the PC and installation of a ton of software, it was a PITA, afterwards, not such a big issue.

Then again, I disabled all vista's pretty Aero content, so it runs nice and smooth, and doesn't consume buttloads of memory on startup, WoW runs great @ 1400 x 900 @ 60FPS
Omatre

Previous

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros