Returning Protection Paladin Needing Addon Guidance

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Returning Protection Paladin Needing Addon Guidance

Postby Valar Morghulis » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:00 pm

Hello.
I used to play Paladin from Vanilla through to WotLK. I quit in WotLK as a protection paladin. Since then, I've levelled up to 100, and got some basic gear and am ready for raiding.
However, I'm truly at a loss of what addons are essential.
Back in WotLK there was an addon that would have rotation, and would simply tell me when to cast holy shield, etc (I think it was clcProt). That addon has since been depreciated.

So what I need:
Decent UI addons.
Rotation addon.
Cast Bar
Buff Bar
Skill Bar (Maybe bartender)
Raid addons:
- Deady Boss Mods?
- OmenThreat?
Anything else that is essential.

Now, I've been looking over and such. But to be honest, I'm really just looking for something simple. The most difficult thing to find is a Protection Paladin rotation addon. The rotation itself is easy, but something to remind me while I still get the hang of things is really the main problem. Looking over the "post your ui" I have some basic ideas on what to get.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Valar Morghulis

Re: Returning Protection Paladin Needing Addon Guidance

Postby honorshammer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:28 pm

Elvui - complete UI replacement. Takes care of UI, Buff bar and Skill bar.

For a rotation addon, check out Theck's Weak Aura strings. That will be your rotation bar. Get Weak Auras and import Theck's strings from here: http://www.sacredduty.net/weakauras-strings/

Get DBM and all its modules. I guess you can get Omen but honestly, threat is such a non-issue I'm not sure its needed. We are pretty far removed from the days where your Locks sat at 129% of your threat. And Locks are sort of struggling DPS-wise these days.

Recount or Skada for death reports.

Master Plan is pretty essential for Garrison.

Handy Notes is good for finding rares and treasures around Draenor.

I'd add a good auction mode (Auctioneer, Auctionator).

Maybe some Pet Battle addons if you get into that mini game.
honorshammer

Postby golfinguy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:43 pm

Just my opinions...

UI - a lot of people love ElvUI, but I have not made the leap yet (still using Shadowed Unit Frames). You really do want Tidy Plates: Threat Plates regardless.

Rotation - I don't really see a need for one, as long as I have good Weak Auras strings. Most people consider WA a must have now. A few options:
Theck's Prot Weak Auras
Mack's Prot Weak Auras
Mack's modified
I use Theck's, but the others have good points too - all personal preference. I was using Theck's before I knew of the others and am too lazy to try them out. It will recognize your talent build and adjust the buttons accordingly, making it a bit of a priority list (from left to right) as well.

Cast Bar - Don't really use one, the default Unit Frames one is fine for pally. Still using IceHUD on my Shaman though. OnmiCC is a good add-on though - gives you a number-based view of cooldowns, abilities and such.

Buff Bar - more like DeBuff bar for me, I setup Raven to track debuffs on myself and co-tank (using focus target).

Skill Bar - Bartender is still popular. I use Dominoes, but any will do.

Raid Mods - Still DBM, but BigWigs has gained popularity so we have two options now.

Threat - Omen

Meters - Recount or Skada.
golfinguy

Postby DisRuptive1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:33 pm

Two mods are essential for every character, Deadly Boss Mods and GTFO.

I recommend Bartender and Move Anything to configure the look of your UI but there's also full blown UI mods out there as well which people like (I've never used them).

Having some sort of raid frames to see what's going on in your raid is helpful. I'm kind of liking Grid (make sure you download Clique as well if you go with Grid).

You do need some way to keep track of your health that doesn't require you to look in the corner of the screen. I use IceHud.

I use Power Auras and NeedToKnow in order to give me certain types of information I need to know (such as how long my Sacred Shield has or when my Divine Purpose procs) in a format I like.

You don't need Omen, but you do need some way to know who has threat on the boss (which is the only reason I still use Omen). This is due to many tank swap boss mechanics in raids.

I also use Tidy Plates to make the enemy name plates more ... tidy.

Those are probably the necessary mods you're going to need. Bonus mods which improve quality of life are: AtlasLoot Enhanced, Master Plan, MogIt, Postal, and CLCRet.

Make sure you download the Curse Client to make the whole addon process easier.
DisRuptive1

Postby Valar Morghulis » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:05 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I've gone ahead and gotten the mods. I'll fiddle with ElvUI and if I don't like it I'll change.
I did initially try ElvUI when I recently resubbed and such. Found it very daunting and simply uninstalled all mods. I guess most people would install/uninstall until they find their favourite, I remember doing this quite a lot.

I'd still like more suggestions however. I've got the basics such as postal, selljunk, and bagnon. I've also got TomTom running with a guide as I level up. But any other addons (such as Master Plan) are appreciated as well.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions and tips. It's saved me many hours of elimination.
Valar Morghulis

Postby golfinguy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:21 pm

OK, for further feedback...

Master Plan is a great one for garrisons, but looks like you have it already. I also use NeedToKnow and MoveAnything - but NTK is superfluous to WA honestly. GTFO has never appealed to me, I don't stand in bad - but to each his own.

MikScrollingBattleText is good if you are like me and don't want numbers filling up your UI. Organizing them improves awareness of your environment IMO.

I also still use Clique - for Hand of [insert any Hand here] and such. I find it much easier than to do it that way then to target friendlies and hit a button (and I've never liked mouse-overs).

I think the default Equipment Manager has made 'Outfitter' superfluous as well, but I still have it.

If I was to redo my UI today, I'd probably give ElvUI a shot. But as the theme states.... I'm lazy ;)

You should also macro Divine Shield and Hand of Protection so a second button press removes the auras. Not an add-on, but very useful so you can use them for a few seconds at least.
golfinguy

Postby DisRuptive1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:24 pm

golfinguy wrote:NTK is superfluous to WA honestly.

But it's so damn intuitive to use and configure.

golfinguy wrote:GTFO has never appealed to me, I don't stand in bad - but to each his own.

Dieing to fire just once is a good enough reason to have GTFO. Additionally, there's no drawback to having GTFO. It will only ever go off when you need it to and stay quiet when you don't need it.

golfinguy wrote:MikScrollingBattleText is good if you ... don't want numbers filling up your UI.

You can disable numbers in the in game options. I've yet to hear a good reason for having the numbers up.
DisRuptive1

Postby Worldie » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:07 am

Honestly speaking, I have long time ago come to the conclusion that I don't even watch the numbers in my MSBT and probably can do without a SCT at all.
However, when I tried without, it felt super weird: I realized I just need the "confirmation" that my attacks are hitting and "doing something" and feel weird without it.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Siekai » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:36 am

I try to keep my addons to a minimum that way when things patch there is less likelihood one of my UI's break and I'm useless like I've seen with some other people.

DBM is a must

Weak auras (I use theck's strings). I say this has turned me from a decent tank into a very good one now that I can more accurately track my buffs.

Omen I find isn't as useful b/c there is a decent threat tracker right above your target's panel in the base UI and all you really care about is your off tanks threat against you. This xpac I haven't seen dps come close to pulling off me.

I use tidy plates b/c I find its easier to see and pick up adds with it on and there is a threat option that you can download that will show you if you have threat on the mob or not without targeting it.

CLCret I use for when I need to go ret which has been a lot this expac.

Recount for a damage meter (I've heard Skada is lighter if you have performance issues)

Everything else I need I try to accomplish with macros in game so that they shouldn't be effected by patches.
Siekai

Postby Valar Morghulis » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:53 am

Hi Guys.
I ended up going for:

AtlasLoot Enhanced
Auctioneer
Bagnon
Bartender 4
Clique
Deadly Boss Mods
Grid
IceHUD
Master Plan
MoveAnything
Omen
OmniCC
Raven
Recount
CLCRet
Shadowed Unit Frames
TidyPlates & TPTP
WeakAuras 2

The thing that gets me though, is I can't get it to look pretty at all.
I'm not sure if it's possible, but is there a way to copy settings?
I'm trying to get it to look clean and what-not, but all I seem to do is clutter up my screen with a bunch of crap.
I'd post a picture but I'm not fully done configuring it yet. I also can't seem to get WeakAuras to show my rotation, maybe I'm missing something? Keep in mind I've been out of WoW for about 2 years+ and well, don't know crap.
Valar Morghulis

Postby Worldie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 am

There is a way to copy settings yes. Not everything is copyable easily though. What do you need to copy and from what to what?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby DisRuptive1 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:58 pm

Valar Morghulis wrote:The thing that gets me though, is I can't get it to look pretty at all.

It doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to work. In fact, you should turn off most of your addons, and turn them back on one at a time once you've finalized all your settings. Then in a few months when you're used to everything and have everything working in a way you like, you can look at the whole UI and see if there's any way to improve on it.

I tried to start from scratch and got no where after 3 hours. Go slow with your addons.
DisRuptive1

Postby Valar Morghulis » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:56 pm

Worldie wrote:There is a way to copy settings yes. Not everything is copyable easily though. What do you need to copy and from what to what?

Basically I was going to copy someones settings to have it look decent.

DisRuptive1 wrote:
Valar Morghulis wrote:The thing that gets me though, is I can't get it to look pretty at all.

It doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to work. In fact, you should turn off most of your addons, and turn them back on one at a time once you've finalized all your settings. Then in a few months when you're used to everything and have everything working in a way you like, you can look at the whole UI and see if there's any way to improve on it.

I tried to start from scratch and got no where after 3 hours. Go slow with your addons.

Did your suggestions, and went with it slowly. Did work, and now have it looking pretty good. Or at least as good as I can get: http://i.imgur.com/BuLV4H3.jpg
However if anyone has a cleaner look. I'd appreciate copying their settings. I really am bad with mods, and sorting things in general.

Anyway, I managed to get WeakAuras to work. However with the strings, it's a bit crazy. The icons shown when in a rotation are a bit confusing at first, but seeing as the action bar glows, it's really handy.

Anyway, I'm at 100, and have some ilvl 630 gear. So I'll try my tanking in dungeons for a while before raids. These expansions daunting after returning from a long hiatus!
Either way, I think I'm pretty set for the MOMENT.

Thanks a lot for your help guys, it truly is appreciated.
Valar Morghulis

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:10 am

There's pre-made UIs (most famous would be ElvUI I believe) which need no settings, you could look for them on wowinterface.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby DisRuptive1 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:56 pm

Valar Morghulis wrote:Image

Biggest problem I see with your UI is that your character's feet are covered. Your character's feet are probably the most important thing you need to pay attention to on the screen. Everything else should build around this central point.

Also, a small point, but the curved bars you're using in IceHud don't accurately show your percentage of health (the numbers are correct though). You'll often see those bars dip really low and make you think you're at 20% health when you're actually at 50% health. If you're willing to use the RivetBars, you'll notice the difference. My UI is posted below showing the RivetBars.

DisRuptive1

Postby golfinguy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:48 pm

A few other ideas I plagiarized from Theck (who probably plagiarized from someone else, etc ;) ...

Moving to an ESDF setup over WASD. But more importantly - making my character frame freaking huge and in my field of vision. This is why I do not use ICEHud on my pally (and never knew how inconsistent it may be).

A discussion from a few years back.... UI Construction and Key Bindings
golfinguy

Postby Valar Morghulis » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:11 am

DisRuptive1 wrote:
Valar Morghulis wrote:Image

Biggest problem I see with your UI is that your character's feet are covered. Your character's feet are probably the most important thing you need to pay attention to on the screen. Everything else should build around this central point.

Also, a small point, but the curved bars you're using in IceHud don't accurately show your percentage of health (the numbers are correct though). You'll often see those bars dip really low and make you think you're at 20% health when you're actually at 50% health. If you're willing to use the RivetBars, you'll notice the difference. My UI is posted below showing the RivetBars.

I've changed it to RivetBars
Also, on an unrelated note - have you got WeakAurus? I can't seem to get mine to look pretty and not cover up the whole screen. Mind sharing the settings :P?
On the topic of WeakAurus, it would be nice to simply have scrolling rotation, rather than them all being up at once and such. I'll have to post a screenshot of how it looks in combat when I can.
Edit: Image

On my settings, I simply have all rotation keys bound to thumb buttons 1 and 2, along with shift, ctrl, alt, and a multitude of combinations of those with aforementioned thumb buttons.
I'm thinking of switching to ESDF but after now just memorizing and getting the right keys, it will be hell to relearn them again.

Also, I couldn't find any macros that are useful for Paladins. Ones listed in the sticky are outdated so I have no idea if they are relevant or even useful.
Valar Morghulis

Postby DisRuptive1 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:45 pm

Valar Morghulis wrote:Also, on an unrelated note - have you got WeakAurus?

I started with Power Auras and I haven't found a reason to stop using them yet. Never tried WeakAuras though it seems to be more popular.

Valar Morghulis wrote:I couldn't find any macros that are useful for Paladins.

It's probably better for you to ask yourself what you want a macro to do and go from there. Not trying to discourage you from Netmacroing, but I find it more rewarding to build my own macros. Macros used for combat at least should be custom-made. The macro you use to mount can probably safely be copied from the internet but a custom macro will allow you to make it work in combat too.
DisRuptive1

Postby Valar Morghulis » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:52 pm

OK. So after much tweaking and annoyance and being basically to the end of my rope nearly 50 times I've tweaked some more.

Here's how it looks in combat:
http://i.imgur.com/ORdahvH.jpg

And out of combat:
http://i.imgur.com/CTf4UsM.jpg

Only thing I dislike is that silly text near my feet. I don't know how to turn it off any more. I did it by fluke but I reset IceHUD again.

I've got to install the TidyPlates and TPTP again.
I'm going to move my main rotation buttons and the CD buttons. And perhaps hook up my old Razer Tartarus, or even buy a Naga despite me disliking Razer products it's the only way I see myself remembering all the keys.

But seriously, my bars and key bindings are a mess, thankfully I haven't joined a dungeon yet.
http://i.imgur.com/KHDx9XF.png

Thanks everyone. If anyone has some more notes, I don't see why not to keep this discussion going. I'm sure it will help many other Paladins returning after a hiatus. Some of my old Pally friends are now just returning from longer breaks than I have had, and I've pointed them to this thread.
Valar Morghulis

Postby DisRuptive1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:54 am

Valar Morghulis wrote:Only thing I dislike is that silly text near my feet. I don't know how to turn it off any more.

Go into IceHud then Module Settings. Those numbers are found under Player Health and Target Health under the Text Settings menu. I personally turn everything off for my own health because the bar is enough for me. The bar itself and certain Power Aura prompts will tell me when I'm below 40% health, I don't have to read a specific number. As far as target health goes, I really don't care if it has 1 million health or 10 million health; all i care about is the percent. I only have the "Upper Text Visible" and I have the following in that box:

Code: Select all
[PercentHP:Round:HPColor]

Valar Morghulis wrote:But seriously, my bars and key bindings are a mess

Give it time, change stuff around as needed. You really should go into a dungeon though. Figure out what buttons you want to push the most and make them easily accessible while buttons which you don't push a lot are less accessible.
DisRuptive1

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros