Divine Purpose Help

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Divine Purpose Help

Postby jepetto » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:19 am

I just got back into wow after leaving at the start of cataclysm and I confess I'm horrible with macros and addons most of the time.

I want to go with divine purpose as my tier 5 talent and was hoping to get some help on how people manage it. I tried playing around with it while doing dailies but havent really tanked dungeons yet due to lvling up alts for wod.

I was curious how most people managed the procs. My biggest problem has been that when DA procs I hit it but I spend the .5 to 1 seconds to hit the next holy power generator. I was curious is most peopled used some sort of macro with SoR so that when you hit the macro it chains to CS or Judgment. Or if people had better solutions.
jepetto

Re: Divine Purpose Help

Postby Worldie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:56 am

You shouldn't be macroing ShoR to anything because that would remove the proactive/reactive iteration of ShoR and would constantly keep you at 0 HP meaning if you need to bank to be able to quickly heal yourself if in danger (like pretty much any raiding prot paladin is used to do nowadays). It's not a button you want to "press any time it's up"

People also don't really manage Divine Purpose because it's a very bad talent for Protection and more or less noone takes it. Being a tank, you want to remove any sort of RNG from your survivability, and Divine Purpose is RNG at its finest.

If you *really* like it, you should just be ready to press ShoR or WoG when it procs. Remember both are off GCD for Protection, so casting a Hp generator right after doesn't really affect your ability to hit ShoR or WoG on top of it.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby jepetto » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:44 pm

I don't understand why you consider it a bad trait (or the community considers its a bad trait) given the tier you have a tier in holy avenger that gives you 3 holy power every attack (so between every 1 to 1.5s) and that influx of holy power needs to either go towards ShoR or word of glory so instead of a RNG giving you procs you have 18s of spamming one or the other skills (or both). Sanctified wraith gives you an additional ability in your rotation that grants a HP but the reason I moved away from it was I was generating quite alot between Judgements and CS and felt like extending the damage reduction component of ShoR or the heal from wg would be fine for the time being.

As far as my macro question you have it backwards, I don't want tack on ShoR to other abilities, I was wondering if people added other abilities to ShoR(or wog) to keep their rotation going. The problem I was having is that I've been stretching my rotation out because I spend too much time managing the procs. I was curious if people may have a macro like

/cast ShoR
/cast CS
/cast Judgement

So that their rotation kept going and their HP generation continued despite managing a proc.

It also should be pointed out that what you call a horrible talent is actually recommended as the top talent in terms of survival by one of this sites contributors

"All 3 talents are pretty solid here, and produce similar levels of damage output and survivability. Divine Purpose Icon Divine Purpose has a slight lead in survivability, while Sanctified Wrath Icon Sanctified Wrath has a slight lead in DPS, with Holy Avenger Icon Holy Avenger being the middle-of-the-road choice in both. However, the differences are small enough that personal preference and encounter mechanics should determine your choice."

Thats taken directly from one of the guides this site contributed to.
jepetto

Postby Daeva001 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:46 pm

Shield of the Righteous is not on the global cooldown, so that macro is unnecessary. Just keep doing your rotation and tap your Shield of the Righteous button as the procs roll in.
Daeva001

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:09 am

There is a difference between the simmed survivability and the actual effects. In simmed average survivability over the lenght of a encounter, yes Divine Purpose even comes out slightly ahead of other 2 talents there.
But more or less any raiding prot paladin who takes his job seriously would take the extra cooldown of Avenging Wrath over the other two, because having 20 seconds of near phisical invulnerability is much more potent than randomly having ShoR up in random moments where you might not even need it.

On a side note, this is a MoP oriented consideration where cooldowns and controlled damage income have been the key, and might be changing with the new healing triage model of WoD.

As extra, you can't make a macro a macro that casts "what is up", that sort of macros have been broken in 1.8 or so and will not be functioning. You can only macro ShoR into another ability to cast it anytime is up on top of said ability since ShoR is off global cooldown, but that's about it (and as you might imagine, it's a bad idea as well).
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Feuerbart » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:21 am

When the fight doesn´t have a window or neccesity for 20 seconds "invulnerability" that´s the point where DP shines.
In siege there where more than enough bosses which didn´t have such a need.

DP is not bad per se. Being good is all about knowing when to use which tool. That even incorporates your team mates.

Know your tools and you are on the road to victory.
Feuerbart

Postby Lastwolf » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:03 am

DP was good before cause you didn't have to manage it, so you could concentrate on other things.

it's very streaky I find, it doesn't proc at all or it procs like 2-3 times in a row, then it overlaps like that you probably don't get that much improvement out of it.

I still have DP as I was easing myself back into tanking, I've been mulling over switching it to one of the other two for a while now.
Lastwolf

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros