Advice for new UI

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Advice for new UI

Postby Kalimaa » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:08 am

With 6.0.2 a lot of my addons became obsolete and I think I need a new UI/addon suite. So I was wondering if any of You had any recomendations. I'm going to use it for tanking in hopefully mythic environment as well as playing the AH and pet battles.

Lookingf forward for some advice, thanks in advance
Kalimaa
Kalimaa

Re: Advice for new UI

Postby Jadhzia » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:28 pm

Most of the addons I use are up-to-date now, so I'd suggest:

- Weak Auras 2 for... well, almost everything. ;)
- Shadowed Unit Frames for unitframes, cast bars and buff / debuffs management, but not for raid frames. I like it better than most other unitframes addons because it's clean and not cluttered, and it's customizable to the point of insanity (but with a logical and well-organized config interface).
- DBM seems to be working fine.
- Tidy Plates with Thread Plates is a must, unfortunately Threat Plates isn't compatible yet. But according to its website, it's coming soon. In the meantime, the Neon tank theme is OK.
- Auctionator, for AH, seems fine, but I have made limited testing. And I suppose you need Tradeskill Master if you play the AH, but I have no experience with this one.
- As for pet battles, my favorites are Petjournal Enhanced and most importantly Petbattle Teams (to prepare as many teams as you want, name them, and recall them quickly depending on which pet battle you're facing). But they're still in need of an upgrade at the moment.
- Depending on your spec and habits, you may find Clique useful: assign any combination of keypresses and mouse clicks with any spell, for example on mouseover on a frame (works with all unitframes addons).

I don't have any recommendation for raidframes, as I'm simply using the default ones. That may not be enough for mythic raiding, I don't know.
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia

Postby Chmur » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:44 am

I am sporting ElvUI for the general overhaul, then the functional: Omen, Weak Auras 2, Skada, Tidy Plates - Threat Plates, Quartz and Clique.

I do my banking on alt, using Auctionator there.
Chmur

Postby Kelerei » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:35 am

I don't do Mythic raiding, but my setup is:

- ElvUI, also for general overhaul. I also add ElvUI Enhanced (seems to be abandoned now though, anyone have good replacement ideas?) and ElvUI Addon Skins to the mix.
- Weak Auras 2.
- DBM is working fine, just make sure you grab the separate MoP package now.
- TSM (for playing the AH) has been updated, but I haven't actually tinkered with it yet.
- Skada and Recount work fine.
- I use the default ElvUI raid frames, so can't offer much assistance there.
- Omen hasn't been updated since 2012. Apparently it still works if you enable outdated addons, but I would start looking around for a replacement. Right now, Skada's threat meter seems to work fine for my purposes.
- EPGP for our loot distribution. (This, of course, is guild specific.)
- Quality of life: Postal, Altoholic, AdiBags, WIM, and their ilk.
- I've used oRA3 for raid management, and it now comes with a combat res timer (number of charges, and time remaining to next charge). Really useful if you're a raid leader, or any healer for that matter.
Kelerei

Postby Jadhzia » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:07 pm

Chmur wrote:Tidy Plates - Threat Plates

Is Threat Plates working with you? It's extremely buggy here, and I had to disable it until the update arrives.
Jadhzia

Postby Worldie » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:52 am

I am not getting any errors with Threat Plates so far. Have you tried deleting it and reinstalling it? Maybe some file got corrupted.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jadhzia » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:26 am

Worldie wrote:I am not getting any errors with Threat Plates so far. Have you tried deleting it and reinstalling it? Maybe some file got corrupted.

I deleted the WTF et Addons folders, reinstalled all addons and reconfigured them all from scratch (call it spring cleaning). All other Threat Plates users in my guild report the same problems, mostly endless strings of LUA errors as soon as we enter combat.

The problem may be that the author never uploaded newer versions of his own work: Curse only has version 6.0, where Threat Plates's website shows alpha versions going a while back (a year ago), including one that's supposed to be compatible with WoD, and tagged as version 7.0.

Maybe you're using one of those 7.0-alpha. In any case, the author is active and said that he was going to release a stable version soon.

Funny how I came to depend heavily on Threat Plates. ;)
Jadhzia

Postby Kai » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:34 am

Shadowed Unit frames, Grid, Bartender, Weak Auras 2 as cornerstones for me. Some other stuff that I find useful:

- sexy mini-map, adds configuration to the mini map: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/sexymap

- maggz raidmarkers, easier keybindings for player raid marks and a useful bar to drop world raid makers plus a button to despawn all of them: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/maggzmarker

- action bar saver - outdated/old addon, but haven't found anything to replace this with and it keeps working. The command "/abs save XY" saves your current action bars including the macro positions on your bars etc. So for paladin I got a save as holy, retri and prot and for my warlock destro, affliction and demo. So if I change a specialization, I do /abs reload XY and it restores the setup saved for that spec. Obviously not very useful if you only play 2 specs, but if you regularly play all three available specs, this addon saves a lot of work. http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/action-bar-saver

- bagnon. the usual bag-replacement addon but it remembers items it saw on a char. so if you have crafting materials stored on a mule and you need something, if you hover over the icon of the material you need (or someone else needs and links you), it tells you if/where you have it, on what char and how many. very useful.
Kai

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:01 am

Except all Grid subaddons got broken by 6.0 and still aren't updated :'(
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby jere » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:12 pm

For Pet Battles, I would definitely take a look at Rematch. A lot of people like PetBattleTeams, and it is a good addon (though still in need of a good update), but Rematch adds a lot of features that are really nice. Below are a list of features Rematch has. I'll annotate what PBT has in there

1. Create and manage lots of teams (PBT has this too). As a note, Rematch can import all your PBT teams and make copies (doesn't affect PBT operation at all).
2. Auto load the team when you click on a tamer (PBT doesn't have this, but there are addons for this that work with PBT)
3. Team organization through tabs: You can create a tab for PvP teams, tamer teams, fun teams, etc. (PBT didn't have this when I used it...not sure if still the case).
4. A leveling queue. When you create a team in Rematch and designate one slot as the leveling slot, then it will pull from a queue of pets that you define and load whichever is at the top of your queue. Has various queue sorting methods (ascending, descending, median) and can auto rotate the queue as pets gain levels. (PBT has a leveling slot, but no queuing system).
5. An advance search/parser that lets you search for various things: pets based on stats (speed, power, health, level), based on family, based on ability types (strong vs), based on flavor text in an ability (you can search for all pets that have "bleed" mentioned). It also has a lot of the filters that PetJournalEnhanced has (but not all of them). You can even combine search criteria. Do you want to find all level 24 and 25 aquatics that have a stampede like ability and have health higher than 1400? Then set the family type to Aquatic and search for "level=24-25 health>1400 double damage". Do you want to level all your pets that have abilities that are strong against beasts and are levels 15-18? Set the "strong vs" to beast and search for "level=15-18". Then hit the fill queue button to dump them all into the queue. (PBT does not have this feature at all).

At the end of the day, PBT is good because it is simple and effective and appears to work seamlessly with the in game journal. Rematch has superior features and is meant to replace the in game journal. Both are good (and actually you can run both if you just want the search feature in Rematch).

I'd also recommend BattlePetBreedID if you get into serious collecting where breed matters.
jere

Postby Koatanga » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:01 pm

My UI consists of:

ShadowedUF for main frames
VuhDo for raid frames with click-to-cast functionality (taunt, hand, heal, dispel, whatever - has spec-specific profiling)
Altoholic to provide searchable which-alt-has-what information
Bazooka for information, with BrokerPack
Dominos for button bar customisation
Postal for mailbox functionality
Auctionator for auction house functionality
Skada for epeen-graphs

I started from scratch this patch since I took some time off from the game and everything was hopelessly out of date. All add-ons are current for 6.0.
Un-Retired. Ish. Koatanga, Cutesy, Shapely, Sultry of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Kai » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:42 pm

Worldie wrote:Except all Grid subaddons got broken by 6.0 and still aren't updated :'(

there's a new corner indicator mod, doesn't seem old ones are getting updated any more. still using clique+grid, right clicking on grid frames works like 20% of the time while it always works on other frames. slightly annoying, hopefully that gets fixed soon.
Kai

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros