UI assistance from other Authors out there

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

UI assistance from other Authors out there

Postby xstratax » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:00 am

I know quite a few of us MT regulars (even the ones who do not post frequently) have either dabbled in, or successfully developed addons, I have 2 myself. My issue now comes in finalizing my design intentions, and making an options/configuration UI for my addon. I only want a a couple dropdowns on the Addon section of the Interface menu, but so far design and coding elude me.

Ive tried all the API Wikis and "Beginners" guides (most of which feel like they have skipped a great many steps) I can Google up, but I just cant wrap my head around it so far. I have even tried looking at the LUA of addons that do similar Config UIs, but have yet to really get a feel for what anything means, partly due to my inexperience and the lack of documentation or proper commenting.

If any of you out there know of links or other reading materials that can actually assist in this aspect I would be very much appreciative.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Re: UI assistance from other Authors out there

Postby _Chloe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:26 am

If you want, you can find Tankadin2 on WoWInterface and dig through the options.lua. It's all done in lua and each tabbed area is a config widget. Mik from MSBT uses the same method and helped me through it in Wotlk. Design intentions should generally stick to one sentence about what you want your addon to do. Bloat tends to kill addons since they grow too large in scope. This is why Tankadin went with a plug-in style system. If you have any questions feel free to post here or PM.
_Chloe

Re: UI assistance from other Authors out there

Postby xstratax » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:15 pm

The UI is the last thing on my check list from when I first sat down and designed the the function I wished to fill. Thanks, Ill check out that, and PM if I run into any issues.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros