Archaeology: Archy

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby Palisade » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:53 am

Zalaria wrote:
Njall wrote:
2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:whats the point of going archaeology as a tank.. there isn't a single good item for us or i already would have this maxed.?


Secondary skill, dude. And, as has been mentioned, there will be additional items added as time goes on. It's designed to be very flexible. That said, there's some things there for my exploring and questing - that second hearthstone helps with the Wildhammer dailies, frex.

Bets on what the 10th race will be?


That "second hearthstone" sadly shares a cooldown with the normal hearthstone. I think the 10th race was supposed to be ogres, but I don't have anything to back it up.


The epic items are pretty much caster exclusive imo. Even the sword I think is subpar and more a "want to have" than a "omg gimme nao." My druid has this maxed. 310 flight helps, a lot. Getting to 300 was a chore, but the skill really sped by past that.

I've found the raptor mount and pet, the Ring of the Boy Emperor, arrival of the naaru, the orc shaman head piece, the nelf mirror, the nelf wind chimes and the dwarven dance scene thingamajiggie.

One thing I've found curious is that the tablets all sell for a good bit on the AH. Tolvir tablets sell for 1k and are gone as soon as I put them up. Nelf sell for 6 to 700, dwarves for about 250 and even the troll tablets for about 100g each. And they've all sold promptly.
Palisade
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:48 pm
Location: Aerie Peak - US

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby Njall » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Palisade wrote:
The epic items are pretty much caster exclusive imo. Even the sword I think is subpar and more a "want to have" than a "omg gimme nao." My druid has this maxed. 310 flight helps, a lot. Getting to 300 was a chore, but the skill really sped by past that.

I've found the raptor mount and pet, the Ring of the Boy Emperor, arrival of the naaru, the orc shaman head piece, the nelf mirror, the nelf wind chimes and the dwarven dance scene thingamajiggie.

One thing I've found curious is that the tablets all sell for a good bit on the AH. Tolvir tablets sell for 1k and are gone as soon as I put them up. Nelf sell for 6 to 700, dwarves for about 250 and even the troll tablets for about 100g each. And they've all sold promptly.


Again, items are easy to add to the mix. I am pretty sure, based on the comments I've read on the forums, that they're aware of the problems. And since Ghostcrawler has said they are going out of their way to make Arch interesting/fun, I suspect that we'll be seeing more items in the near future.

A pity about the hearthstone. In the beta, it was a separate stone for a separate location. It rocked very hard.

The keystones sell for high amounts on your server, at least compared to the two that I frequent. It is a good day when I can get 200 gp for old world keystones of any sort. Orc and Dranei sell for 200-500. That said, I've never seen a Tol'vir one in the AH. I suspect though, that we have a fairly robust Arch population which is producting the keystones faster than they can be used.

I have never gone to a site in the old world that doesn't have at least 2 other archaeologists working it. Even in outland I'll almost always have company. Made a few friends that way.
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby Fetzie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:18 pm

made 100g while digging for orc fragments in nagrand by helping this guy do the arena quest :D

I really want that bug mount :/
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby ZeroKewl » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Guessing this addon has been in use for awhile now and was cursious if it marking sites where yiou have found items has been helping anyone yet? I am guessing after awhile you could just head to a past dig site and sometimes luck into another artifact, or is this not the case?
Image
ZeroKewl
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby Mystersori » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:35 am

That's exactly right. When you head to a site that is 0/3 that you've previously visited, you'll want to start your first survey on one of your old dots. About 5% of the time, I get a chest on my first try.

By the same logic, once you find your 1/3 or 2/3 fragment in that site, you want to survey exactly where you found your last chest. You have again about a 5% chance of getting the next fragment right in the same spot.

Once you have a good library of dots, you'll only need 2 or 3 surveys max for each fragment.
Image
Mystersori
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby amh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:51 am

To see depressing statistics, bring up your completed artfacts tab and hit this:

Code: Select all
/run print("Total artifacts"); for x=1,9 do local c=GetNumArtifactsByRace(x); local a =0; for y=1,c do local t = select(9,GetArtifactInfoByRace(x, y)); a=a+t; end local rn = GetArchaeologyRaceInfo(x); if( c > 1 ) then print(rn .. ": " .. a); end end
I used to play a paladin.
User avatar
amh
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Oh hi

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby Brute » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:28 am

I'm ~333 and i've only one a single rare: the raptor pet. is this unusual? it's kind of cool revisiting all the old places but it seems really useless and I'm riding on the hope that once I get to 525 I'll get better draws.
Brute
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:14 am

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:38 am

Brute wrote:I'm ~333 and i've only one a single rare: the raptor pet. is this unusual? it's kind of cool revisiting all the old places but it seems really useless and I'm riding on the hope that once I get to 525 I'll get better draws.


A little unusual. That said, I didn't solve any find until I well over 75 skill - however I don't think you can see any possible rares until you reach the requisite skill (I think its 225 for Classic fossils) so it might be tucked behind your current research. For that reason, I didn't solve any orc or draenei fossils till I hit 375 and didn't solve any Val'kyr* ones till I hit 450. I haven't seen any Nerubian sites yet. Just valkyr and bloody Nelf sites. I'll wait on any Tol'vir till I have maxed out the skill. Shouldn't be long now.

* WTB Val'kyr model. No, humans don't count.
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby Zalaria » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:20 pm

Njall wrote:
Brute wrote:I'm ~333 and i've only one a single rare: the raptor pet. is this unusual? it's kind of cool revisiting all the old places but it seems really useless and I'm riding on the hope that once I get to 525 I'll get better draws.


A little unusual. That said, I didn't solve any find until I well over 75 skill - however I don't think you can see any possible rares until you reach the requisite skill (I think its 225 for Classic fossils) so it might be tucked behind your current research. For that reason, I didn't solve any orc or draenei fossils till I hit 375 and didn't solve any Val'kyr* ones till I hit 450. I haven't seen any Nerubian sites yet. Just valkyr and bloody Nelf sites. I'll wait on any Tol'vir till I have maxed out the skill. Shouldn't be long now.

* WTB Val'kyr model. No, humans don't count.


I think your minimum skills are way too high. I know that I got both draenei rares and the orc rare while skilling from 300 to 375, and I got the vrykul (not val'kyr, silly!) rare while skilling from 375 to 450. I've seen the fossil pet show up before 100, and the mount before 200. With that in mind, I can pretty much guarantee that you can get any tol'vir rare at any time once you've unlocked the race.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
User avatar
Zalaria
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:27 am

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:19 pm

Zalaria wrote:* WTB Val'kyr model. No, humans don't count.


I think your minimum skills are way too high. I know that I got both draenei rares and the orc rare while skilling from 300 to 375, and I got the vrykul (not val'kyr, silly!) rare while skilling from 375 to 450. I've seen the fossil pet show up before 100, and the mount before 200. With that in mind, I can pretty much guarantee that you can get any tol'vir rare at any time once you've unlocked the race.[/quote]

Possibly my skill limits are over-conservative,true. But there was considerable buggyness with Archaeology when I was in the Beta when you got something that was too high for you to build/see that caused you not to get a rare that you'd previously not know you had. I would not want to miss out on something. And no, I know exactly what model I want.
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby Mannstein » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:12 pm

525 skill here,

Got 2342135121comuns in trolls but no sword :(
It would be a nice to have...

I never saw 5fragments drop (belf here) 3,4 and 6, nevar a 5...
Strange things are strange
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:40 am

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby SteveL » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 pm

Another archaeology helping hand:

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/arh.aspx

Gives a HUD with the Gathermate locations on it, and also allows you to create quadrants on the HUD to show you possible locations for fragments. Rarely takes more than 2 or 3 surveys to find a fragment now.

Steve
SteveL
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:57 am

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby Njall » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:13 am

Archaeology question. I have the Inkeeper's Daughter. She showed up the first time I hearthed and followed me around like a bad little girl. However, she's never shown up since. I wonder if I have to switch my hearth to a new site (or re-acquire the hearth I love so very, very much) to get her to reappear?

Or do I have to use an IF hearth? Sigh. It took 6 years but Cata and the SW dailies finally killed IF.
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby Zalaria » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:18 am

I think it's just a random chance for her to show up. I see her every once in a while when I use mine. Granted, I'm Horde so there's no dwarf inns I can use... but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter where you hearth.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
User avatar
Zalaria
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:27 am

Re: Archaeology: Archy

Postby Njall » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:28 am

Zalaria wrote:I think it's just a random chance for her to show up. I see her every once in a while when I use mine. Granted, I'm Horde so there's no dwarf inns I can use... but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter where you hearth.


Good. I like the Dwarven District, frankly. While Ogrimar is just fun to look at (but a pain if you can't fly), I find SW is just a nicer city for layout.

...but I miss IF and Undercity so much.
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

Previous

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest