Hermes: The great messenger of your raid's cooldowns!

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Re: Hermes: The great messenger of your raid's cooldowns!

Postby RedAces » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Yes I'm the only one using hermes, I may convince my healing-officer and my gf to switch too ;-)
No lua error!
RedAces

Postby inthedrops » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:30 pm

RedAces wrote:No lua error!

I'll take what I can get and be happy :)

Hermes is like BLOODY MAGIC when used with others that use it. It might be why it's difficult for me to spot Spell Monitor bugs. We have about 15 people in my guild that use it so I'm spoiled.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:40 pm

Looking to the future a bit (after this release) I think the next changes are going to be:

1. Sender filtering (like ignoring people in groups 6-8)
2. Better out of the box experience by minimizing user setup for Spell Monitor spells (what RedAces is talking about).

I think I figured out a low maintenance way to handle Spell Monitor defaults btw. The only requirement it would force upon the user is that they won't be able to change any Spell Monitor settings for a spell of a class until that class has had their talents scanned.

I realized while thinking about this that I practically force this already anyway, so it's not a big leap to completely lock it down until such time.

I'm excited about this and also think it'll be a relatively inexpensive development effort as I'll be able to utilize the existing data structures.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Is it possible to ignore groups 3-8 for a raid set to ten man and 6-8 for a raid set to 25 man? Or maybe have a checkbox for each setting ([x] ignore groups 3-8, [x] ignore groups 6-8)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby inthedrops » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Pyrea wrote:Is it possible to ignore groups 3-8 for a raid set to ten man and 6-8 for a raid set to 25 man? Or maybe have a checkbox for each setting ([x] ignore groups 3-8, [x] ignore groups 6-8)

Currently no feature for filtering exists, but what you're describing is exactly my plan. However, I will almost certainly be implementing the setup and control in the UI, not the Core. It's not that the Core doesn't make sense (it actually makes a lot of sense) it's just that I can leverage the UI's design more easily.

Here's a question for you....

I am assuming you'd want like a "global" filter, but then also the ability to filter it a second time via each individual container? I can already tell you that I personally want to have some containers show some people that I don't want to see in others. This implies two levels of filtering, one applied globally to all containers, and then another at the container level.

The obvious answer to me is that I must have filtering at the container level. So the question is, does it make sense to set filters that apply to all containers at a higher level? To me, this just seems like another opportunity to confuse people.

What say you all?

Expect this feature soon, perhaps even in this release.

BTW, seeing a few bar texture color bugs (colors not getting reset somewhere during the create/recycle process)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby RedAces » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 am

We always kick benched raid members because it messes up some healers grid (wrong set up ?), but for me a global filter to ignore G3-8 (10m) or ignore G6-8 (25m) would suffice.
But filtering on the container level makes much more sense, I agree it would be confusing if you have 2+ ways to ignore certain people.
RedAces

Postby Fetzie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:02 am

A global filter would also be fine for me, as I am hardly ever in a 25 man raid (OK every now and again baradin hold, but that isn't exactly a boss that requires you to know about every cooldown anyway :P)
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby inthedrops » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:02 pm

If I can get a few eyes on the latest build in a raid, then I'm ready to push a beta. Hermes was actually very stable this morning but then I decided to add the player filtering feature and now I lost my confidence :( It touches almost every critical path and I actually ended up finding a couple Hermes bugs while debugging some issues.

It's just for containers, nothing global. The whitelist/blacklist is a little weird but it keeps the screenspace low. You basically choose "Disabled/Whitelist/Blacklist" from the Filter Type and then add names by selecting them in the Add dropdown, and remove them with the other. This ended up being more difficult than I expected so this change was significant.

You'll want at least build r141: http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/hermes/files/

I've littered the code with a bunch of error statements when I find an unexpected condition. Most will just say "error". But it's the line number that will clue me in. Most of these checks will be removed before official release.

This build also fixes an issue with bars for out of range senders being the wrong color.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby RedAces » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:50 am

hey,

I'll try it out, but my next raid will be sunday / monday.

A thing I saw yesterday... I added shamans reincarnation to one of my bars - no problem here. But it faded out as the shaman died (as all the other cooldowns would do), but in this special case it's more important to see if it's ready (or not!) when dead. If it's not ready - fading out is ok because even if it becomes ready while dead you can't use it. But if it's ready (and hes dead) fading out is counterintuitive. So... could you add a special case for reincarnation to not fade out on death?

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby Fetzie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:50 am

I've downloaded the newest version (r141), i'll see about getting in a baradin hold group or something. The next guild raid is on tuesday.

Fetzie

Postby inthedrops » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:51 am

RedAces wrote:could you add a special case for reincarnation to not fade out on death?

I see your point. Spell Metadata to the rescue! I'll put something in for that and let you know how to handle it. I knew that was going to be a useful tool :)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby RedAces » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:47 am

We made a fun T11 nonheroic raid yesterday just for the lulz - no lua errors, no wonky behavior.
RedAces

Postby inthedrops » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:58 am

RedAces wrote:We made a fun T11 nonheroic raid yesterday just for the lulz - no lua errors, no wonky behavior.

That's a big relief. A lot of this stuff is very difficult to test without being in a full blown raid. There are so many edge cases where unexpected things can happen. I optimize where I can and these optimizations are usually where bugs land.

BTW, I just added complete "out of the box" defaults for all default Hermes spells for spell monitor, as well as a few tools to maintain it. I found a good compromise for myself and made it happen. Note that this resulted in a new "Maintenance" tab but hopefully no one has to use it except during the occasional WoW patch.

That's the last big feature that's been frequently requested. Everything else is smaller potatoes.

Major Feature Summary for v2.3:
  • Merge spells capability (i.e. many spells are treated as one)
  • Better out of the box Spell Monitor support (cooldowns, adjustments, and requirements are provided by Hermes.)
  • Enable/disable containers (e.g. hide one when you don't need it)
  • Even more spell bar customization.
  • Filter players (ignore groups 6-8, offline players, etc.)
  • Any given spell can now exist in multiple containers (or none at all).
  • Proper ButtonFacade implementation (with Masque support as well).
  • Improved configuration screens.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby RedAces » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:35 am

Success 1: no lua error no wonky behavior.
Success 2: spell monitor default work like a charm (resetted everything to your defaults) - no errors etc
Success 3: Ragnaros down \o/
RedAces

Postby inthedrops » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:29 pm

RedAces wrote:Success 1: no lua error no wonky behavior.

Yes!!

RedAces wrote:Success 2: spell monitor default work like a charm (resetted everything to your defaults) - no errors etc

This was no small feat to sync this stuff up!!!

RedAces wrote:Success 3: Ragnaros down \o/

Woot!

My success...
Hermes beta 2.2.1 released!

Thanks to everyone for your extra efforts, feedback, and criticism. Now I can relax for about 2 hours before the bug reports start flying in :P
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros