Remove Advertisements

Hermes: The great messenger of your raid's cooldowns!

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Re: Hermes: The great messenger of your raid's cooldowns!

Postby inthedrops » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Pyrea wrote:for the bar setup you could have the spell start an x second long timer, and then revert to the remaining cooldown timer. The button setup could have a global cooldown type spiral that displays the buff's remaining duration.

Yeah the animations are not the problem. The problem is knowing how long to animate for. Some cooldowns are variable (such as our 4-piece set bonus) and either (A) tricky to determine or (B) impossible to determine.

Incidentally, for anyone wondering what my "low tech" solution for this type of challenge is, I'll explain. First, I think this will be an infrequently used option. Second, I don't want to have to modify each and every UI to have some method of allowing the user to specify details of spells that Hermes is or isn't even tracking. So my concept is to create "generic" metadata for spells which can be entered via Hermes. Basically, a button you click in the config (much like where you click the "Spell Monitor" button) that loads a table of key/value pairs. You enter a key such as "duration" and a value such as "6".

Each plugin can choose to (or not choose to) request the spell metadata from Hermes and use it how it sees fit. In the case of Treck, I'd design one of the views (He's using the Bars view, so that one) to look for metadata with a specific key, and it'll be coded to know what it means. In the case of "6" it'll know that for this spell it needs to animate for 6 seconds.

This solution is also very much out of your face, which is nice. But still allows me to add the features behind the scenes to some of the views.

I *DO* plan on doing this. And I think the requested feature would be very powerful. I do realize however that my implementation is not ideal. But then again, any other technique I could come up with would be fraught with technical challenges and complex code. This is the simplest solution I could come up with.

I think you guys will really like the new Hermes when I'm done. The simple act of being able to monitor whatever spells in whatever containers turned out to be such a huge improvement, I didn't even realize it when doing it!

Current Views I've implemented at this point are:
1. GridButtons (the buttons you use today).
2. GridBars (the bars you use today).
3. CooldownBars (a.k.a. LightUI).

The last view to implement before I release (probably) will be like GridBars but it won't autowrap and it won't have the dead space (as requested in the past page or two on this thread).
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:24 pm

Im more than perfectly fine even if i have to add the times myself.
Important thing is that its doable.
There might not be many people who want it, but those who do will feel its very valuable, especially for fights with long durations of aoe damage.

So, dont before the EU servers come up on wednesday yeh? :P
Treck

Postby inthedrops » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Treck wrote:Im more than perfectly fine even if i have to add the times myself.
Important thing is that its doable.
There might not be many people who want it, but those who do will feel its very valuable, especially for fights with long durations of aoe damage.

So, dont before the EU servers come up on wednesday yeh? :P

Actually, it's *possible* if and only if the servers in the US are working properly tomorrow and I have enough time to work in the day.

Regardless, it's going to be sketchy. I raided Sinestra and Nef last night using the latest version of Hermes with all of these recent changes. So it works, but I can guarantee you I missed some bugs. It usually takes a couple weeks for bug reports to get reported so I can fix them.

I'll work on the backend to get the metadata working (I'll support it in the UI after everything else is done.....UI config typically takes the longest) and figure out the animation soon. You only intend to use Bars Style display for this at the moment, correct?

BTW, checking in locale changes and I have it almost packaged up for system testing. Getting close!
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Important part is its dont before hardmodes anyway, before normalmodes would just be a plus :P
Treck

Postby inthedrops » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:07 am

v2.3 Change Notes (almost ready! just needs more testing)

Major Feature Summary for v2.3:
  • Merge spells capability (i.e. many spells are treated as one)
  • Better out of the box Spell Monitor support (cooldowns, adjustments, and requirements are provided by Hermes.)
  • Enable/disable containers (e.g. hide one when you don't need it)
  • Even more spell bar customization.
  • Filter players (ignore groups 6-8, offline players, etc.)
  • Any given spell can now exist in multiple containers (or none at all).
  • Proper ButtonFacade implementation (with Masque support as well).
  • Improved configuration screens.

Extended details....

Complete UI Architecture Overhaul:
You'll notice significant changes including:
  • The DefaultUI is gone. If for some reason you still want it, it's provided as a separate addon (bundled with Hermes) called "LegacyUI".
  • The DefaultUI is replaced with the new UI, affectionately named "UI".
  • Containers now have views. Views are actually separate addons which control how a container displays itself.
  • A Container has one active view at a time, but you can switch freely between them at any time. Profile settings are associated per container, per view.

The Three Current Views Are:
  • CooldownBars: This is a direct replacement for "LightUI". If you were a fan of LightUI, this is the view you'll want to use.
  • GridButtons: This is the default button style view that current users are familiar with. Buttons are arranged automatically via an invisible grid.
  • GridBars: A highly customizable spell bar view, spells are arranged automatically via an invisible grid.

More UI Changes:
  • The ability to merge all spells in a container as one spell (GridBars and GridButtons only).
  • Player filtering (e.g. ignore players in groups 6-8 for 25 man raids).
  • Spells are no longer limited to a single container, nor are they required to exist in any containers.
  • Enhanced spell bar and nameplate configuration for GridBars view (icon placement, animation direction, swap name and duration, etc.)
  • Significant configuration refactor greatly improving setup and user experience.
  • Drag and Drop has been removed. Spells are now ordered via the Spells tab for a container.
  • Containers can now be disabled or enabled as needed.
  • Proper ButtonFacade implementation for GridButtons view.
  • GridBars and GridButtons are now completely click-through when locked.
  • Able to disable tooltip for GridBars.

Plugin API:
  • Added spell Metadata. Hereby known as Treckiedata. The intent of this feature is to allow Hermes to store user-defined spell data for addons leveraging the Hermes API.
  • Added spell/item inventory callbacks and methods (required by the new UI)

Other:
  • More bug fixes than I care to admit!
Last edited by inthedrops on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby RedAces » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:33 am

hey inthedrops,

I used hermes during ICC but having everyone install a certain addon was not doable so I stopped and used oRA. I wanted to check it out today and it errors, I filed a ticket here: http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/hermes ... on-config/ . It seems like masque making problems :(
If you need more information for this bug, I'll see what I can do!

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby inthedrops » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:11 am

RedAces wrote:hey inthedrops,

I used hermes during ICC but having everyone install a certain addon was not doable so I stopped and used oRA. I wanted to check it out today and it errors, I filed a ticket here: http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/hermes ... on-config/ . It seems like masque making problems :(
If you need more information for this bug, I'll see what I can do!

Bye, RedAces.

Hey, thanks for the ticket!!! I updated it with the following in case there are others testing out Masque...

This is likely due to Masque. It's not yet passed Alpha stage. Masque is returning a function instead of a table where it's deprecated some LibButtonFacade methods. Until Masque hits beta stage it's not completely compatible with the release version of ButtonFacade

On order to use Hermes alongside Masque, here is a temporary workaround.

Open up \AddOns\Hermes-UI-GridButtons\Hermes-UI-GridButtons.lua

Comment out or delete the following line near the top:

local LBF = LibStub("LibButtonFacade",true)

Putting ticket on hold until Masque hits beta.

As an aside, please be careful with alpha builds of Hermes. They are often not known to be stable. However, the version you grabbed should be pretty solid, nearing Beta quality. And finally, thanks for giving Hermes a try!! Let me know how it goes once you disable LBF :)
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby RedAces » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:47 am

hey

yeah your fix works thank you. I'll test it intensivly tonight in our raid.

EDIT: I had to manually edit the spell data of Divine Guardian (prot only!) and Aura Mastery (holy only!) to reflect these restrictions.

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby inthedrops » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:53 am

RedAces wrote:hey

yeah your fix works thank you. I'll test it intensivly tonight in our raid.

EDIT: I had to manually edit the spell data of Divine Guardian (prot only!) and Aura Mastery (holy only!) to reflect these restrictions.

Bye, RedAces.

Cool, yeah editing spells for non hermes users is par the course. I'm always thrilled to know that although some people might scoff at having to type data to make an addon work, they don't seem to think it's a big deal after the initial shock :)

BTW, the "CooldownBars" view doesn't require you to enter requirements since it only shows spells when they get used. In case that floats your boat somehow.

Last but not least, I just *fixed* Hermes support with Masque. It's not perfect but seems to work. If Masque is installed instead of the "real" LBF, then it'll still skin but you won't be able to change the skin within Hermes. You'll have to use Masque directly. It'll still work with LBF.

Check build r128.

Last but not least, although I'll fairly confident with r128, I had a couple errors the other night with an earlier build (3 to be exact) regarding being unable to locate a table value. Keep an eye for those, I am not sure if I fixed it.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby RedAces » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:25 am

inthedrops wrote:Cool, yeah editing spells for non hermes users is par the course. I'm always thrilled to know that although some people might scoff at having to type data to make an addon work, they don't seem to think it's a big deal after the initial shock :)

I'm used to use alpha-addons for a very long time and I'm a programmer myself, so those things don't scare me, but these spells are ONLY to available to these specs (and if they have the appropriate talent), so having this data on default won't be a bad idea?

inthedrops wrote:BTW, the "CooldownBars" view doesn't require you to enter requirements since it only shows spells when they get used. In case that floats your boat somehow.
Thats cool and all, but I want Hermes to be better than oRA3 (hence the switch) so I'll need to see if a spell is NOT on cooldown. Thanks anyway!

inthedrops wrote:Last but not least, I just *fixed* Hermes support with Masque. It's not perfect but seems to work. If Masque is installed instead of the "real" LBF, then it'll still skin but you won't be able to change the skin within Hermes. You'll have to use Masque directly. It'll still work with LBF.

Check build r128.

Works like a charm, thx!
RedAces

Postby inthedrops » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:38 am

RedAces wrote:I'm used to use alpha-addons for a very long time and I'm a programmer myself, so those things don't scare me, but these spells are ONLY to available to these specs (and if they have the appropriate talent), so having this data on default won't be a bad idea?

This is probably one of the more popular requests. The challenges boil down to localization and maintenance. If I could hard code a spell name in English, and somehow make it work for everything else then it would be easy. Can't do that. Of course, I could hard code a list of all talent names for all locales......uh yeah, no thanks. Instead, I'll have to create a matrix of talent indexes and map the name to the index on the fly. And then each patch it breaks and someone submits bug reports because Blizz added Rallying Cry or some other spell, or changed the spell id of Holy Shield due to the changes, or the duration of spell XYZ changed, etc.

You can see where this is going. When I figure out a low maintenance way of doing it I'll do it. That's not to say you don't have a valid complaint, it's just that I've chosen to spend my energy elsewhere for now. My viewpoint is that most people only track maybe 5 spells. For me having to maintain a table of ~600's spells, so that someone has their 5 spells......well damnit I want to have fun too! :P
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby RedAces » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:45 am

hey,

ok making it 100% correct does cost you very much, why don't we do it 50%? DG only can be specced if prot, and prot is the 2nd talent tree. Just assume it's specced (which will be right for the most uses of this addon?). It's a somewhat dirty compromise, but easy to implement (or not?).

As I said, I had no problems editing the spell details and I must say the config is really good... better than a few (awful!!) addons I had to endure over the last 6 years. :)
Still waiting for the raid test tonight >:D

Bye, RedAces
RedAces

Postby inthedrops » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:50 am

You've got my brain cooking :) I'm thinking about it again. I set it aside a while ago. I like how you think!
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby RedAces » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:24 pm

2 "errors":
- Power Word Barrier
I joined a raid with 3 priests and for every priest it displayed "Power Word: Barrier ready". I changed the talent req to "discipline" and for the 2nd shadow and the disci it said "PW:B ready!" - I had to /rl to resolve this - no more problems
On the screenshot: Alma is the disci and pwnica and nimithrell are the 2 shadows, note that Nimithrell has not PW:B ready but Pwnica has ... weird ;)
- Mana Tide Totem
During a fight a healer asked "is mana tide ready?" Hermes said "yes" but the shaman said "10s". I checked the base cooldown duration - it's 3 mins which is correct - don't know whether the shamy mislooked (hectic moment) or hermes made something wonky.

2 possible enhancements:
- allow OUTLINE for the fonts, otherwise its hard to read the name (or duration) of a priests CD (white on white :<)
- allow some kind of grouping or anchoring the different containers, e.g. Container X-left-top-edge is anchored to Y-right-top-edge or Container X's top is anchored to the bottom of Y (for cooldownbars)

Otherwise: a great improvement over oRA3, thanks!

Screenshot:
RedAces

Postby inthedrops » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks Red for helping test an alpha! Good suggestions too. I have some disc/holy/shadow priest in my raid as well so I'll look into that tonight when raiding. BTW, I assume you are the only one using Hermes? I just want to make sure I'm looking for Spell Monitor issues and not something else.

Finally, looks like you're using the new "Merge Spells" feature. I had to create some mock code to test the sorting so I'm a little weary on that. Keep an eye on it. It is hopefully sorting both intuitively, and correctly.

Basic sort for merged spells goes like this:
1st: Is the sender available? (dead, range, disconnected)
2nd: Which cooldown is available next?
3rd: What is the sort order of the spell as specified in the container?
4th: What is the players name with the spell?

Cheers.

Oh, any Lua errors?
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros