Multiple mobs and tanks. Who has agro?

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Multiple mobs and tanks. Who has agro?

Postby branwell » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:57 am

G'day,

I use Tauntmaster or Grid / Clique and Threatplates.

Here is the scenario.

We're in ICC 25 doing an LOS pull on the mobs and casters in the chamber just prior to Marrowgars chamber.

Threat plates shows that I have agro ( green ) on close to half the mob. The rest of the plates are red. Some of the reds are agro'ed to the other tank, but I can see from Tauntmaster that several raid members are pulling agro.

I click on one of the raid members in Tauntmaster which casts Righteous Defense on the member. His ago attaches to me and all is good for him.

However.

There is still a raid member or two pulling agro and my Righteous Defense is on cool down.

I could use the Hand or Shield to taunt of him, but with the shear number of people and mobs and nearly half the Threatplates red, the best I can do is guess.

I am hoping there is an addon or a technique you can share that would show perhaps through color....

- The mobs I have agro on.
- The mobs the other tank has agro on.
- The mobs hitting raid members.

Thanks,

Epicdwarf ( Grizzly Hills )
Epicdwarf ( Grizzly Hills )
branwell

Re: Multiple mobs and tanks. Who has agro?

Postby FishyJoe » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:45 pm

I would like to know if anybody has any info on this as well.

For now I am using Tidyplates and it shows a Shield on the HP bar if someone marked as Raid Tank is tanking the mob, and a Sword if the mob is on a DPS/healer.
Lightsaber - 80 Human Paladin
<Malicious> - Tichondrius
FishyJoe

Postby ginga-uk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:21 am

FishyJoe wrote:I would like to know if anybody has any info on this as well.

For now I am using Tidyplates and it shows a Shield on the HP bar if someone marked as Raid Tank is tanking the mob, and a Sword if the mob is on a DPS/healer.

It does? Hmmmmm Do I need to go update mine, or is there a simple setting I have missed? or does this rely upon MT being set in the raid window etc?
ginga-uk

Postby Torquemada » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:52 pm

It's probably a particular skin/setting. I use Tidy Plates Threat Plates, but it doesn't show such a thing, only if the mobs are focused on me or not. I generally realize if a tank doesn't have them between Tinytip(Mouseover showing aggro), watching raid frames for who's taking damage, and mob positions(If the mobs are running towards the ranged, etc.).
Torquemada

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:12 pm

I have an "organic" solution to your problem. Tell your raid "You pull it you tank it" they'll learn quick to wait for a tank to get aggro :)
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby theckhd » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:19 am

I'd love if ThreatPlates would do a simple check against the MT targets for nameplate size. In other words, the nameplate would be small if the mob was targeting you or any other player designated as a MT, via the in-game "Set Main Tank" setting.

Probably wouldn't be that hard to do either, I suspect that right now it's just a UnitName() call on the mob's target and a string comparison against your name.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:12 am

Ginga-uk wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:I would like to know if anybody has any info on this as well.

It does? Hmmmmm Do I need to go update mine, or is there a simple setting I have missed? or does this rely upon MT being set in the raid window etc?

I don't know about the other themes, but "Grey" theme that comes packaged with TidyPlates has the "Tanked icon" option.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby branwell » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:30 am

Ahhhh. I am using Threatplates that overlays Tidyplates. I will try the gray as you suggest.
branwell

Postby Marblehead » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:34 am

The "Tanked icon" option is part of the Tidyplates core and it's probably visible on any skin (unless it requires some kind of support from the skins). Try updating both Tidyplates and Threatplates.

theckhd wrote:I'd love if ThreatPlates would do a simple check against the MT targets for nameplate size. In other words, the nameplate would be small if the mob was targeting you or any other player designated as a MT, via the in-game "Set Main Tank" setting.

Probably wouldn't be that hard to do either, I suspect that right now it's just a UnitName() call on the mob's target and a string comparison against your name.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Threatplates is not checking every mob's target, because a) I don't know if it's possible to get a mob's target whithout targeting it and b) it would create some issues with mobs that change to a random target to cast a spell. Blizzard introduced some new functions with this expansion that get a specific player's threat value on a specific mob, which Threatplates use. However, I couldn't find a way to get the highest threat player on a mob, without looping through every raid member. Maybe an experienced addon author can clarify this. If there is a way to do this, the implementation is rather easy indeed.
Life is not difficult, people are.
Marblehead

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:24 am

What does Threatplates do that the TidyPlates core doesn't now? Most of the main threat-related options have been ported over.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Marblehead » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:35 am

I think that Threatplates is mainly responsible for the scaling of the nameplates depending on threat.
Life is not difficult, people are.
Marblehead

Postby Dragondin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:06 am

there is a new function in threatplates, which shows the name of the player who has aggro at a mob over the mob if you hover over the nameplate or mob. if this player is a tank the name is green otherwise blue. this name stays if you hover over other mobs.
Dragondin

Postby Gamingdevil » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:15 am

Dragondin wrote:there is a new function in threatplates, which shows the name of the player who has aggro at a mob over the mob if you hover over the nameplate or mob. if this player is a tank the name is green otherwise blue. this name stays if you hover over other mobs.

I saw that (the threat widget) but it doesn't always seem to work.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Pala » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:31 pm

This might not be the answer you are looking for but when I'm using Threat Plates I just check if all the bars are small. If some are big I look at grid to see if the other tank has the mobs. At that point I don't care which ones I have or not. If somebody else shows up in Grid with aggro then I'll taunt. I assume the other tank will check and taunt if needed. The only time I care about which tank has which mobs is if the tank in the Blood hallway gets the three stack bleed or gets sapped. I'll stun or taunt the mobs on him until he's available.
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros