Remove Advertisements

Mouse Keybinding Help

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Mouse Keybinding Help

Postby sherck » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:29 am

Maintankadins,

I have gotten a new mouse that has all sorts of kool features and have been trying to figure out how best to configure it.

The actions that I feel comfortable with are:

Left Button
Middle Button
Right Button
Front Side Button
Back Side Button
Mouse Wheel Tilt Left
Mouse Wheel Tilt Right
Mouse Wheel Roll Up
Mouse Wheel Roll Down

All being able to be cast either with NoMod, Shift button depressed or Alt Button Depressed (will add Control button if needed but not at this time).

That gives me a total of 25 "pushes" (27 minus NoMod Left and Right buttons because those are used to interact with the environment).

Now, I am currently using the basic WoW Interface and the only way that I have been able to figure out how to bind an ability to a key is to go into the keybindings and "assign" an action bar button to a mouse keybind and then put the ability I want that keybind to cast onto the action bar at that specific location.

1. Does an action bar have to be "showing" on the screen for the bound ability to be activated? For example, can I bind my ability to the far right default action bar and then choose not to display the action bar on my U/I and still have the keybind work?

2. Is there an easier way to do all of this? If I have an ability bound to a key, I would prefer to not have to then look at the button on my U/I interface if I don't have to. I am trying to save screen space.

3. If I use the base Blizz U/I, then I am pretty sure that it will continue to work though patch upgrades. If I go with an addon like Bartender to make the keybindings easier, how much does that type of addon get broken by patch upgrades?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Cheers,
sherck

Re: Mouse Keybinding Help

Postby Tybran » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:05 am

Bartender is a very frequently updated addon, I don't think you'd run into many "broken" situations.

I've used heavy UI mods since the launch of BC and I've never encountered a broken situation that rendered me unable to play, just need to update frequently.
Tybran

Postby Pizbit » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Tybran wrote:Bartender is a very frequently updated addon, I don't think you'd run into many "broken" situations.

I've used heavy UI mods since the launch of BC and I've never encountered a broken situation that rendered me unable to play, just need to update frequently.

Bartender has been updated bang on time since I started using it in TBC.

With all those extra buttons I highly recommend a bar add-on like bartender.
I have it setup so that most action bars actually auto-fade out when the mouse isn't over them to remove clutter. Some toons even have this applying to the primary action bar with all my active skills since my hands know which key to press what and lets me just look at runes/energy etc.

I have around 6-7 bars active(some are only 4-6 spots) and only 2 are shown permanently.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby milali » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:54 pm

one problem you will have is when you are a target window mouse4/5 etc won't work

use Clique and bind those keys to that and it will work :)
milali

Postby Pizbit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:29 pm

milali wrote:one problem you will have is when you are a target window mouse4/5 etc won't work

wha?
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby milali » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:42 pm

Pizbit wrote:
milali wrote:one problem you will have is when you are a target window mouse4/5 etc won't work

wha?

for myself with shadow unit frames, mouse 4 and 5 won't recognize when over them. so I bind those mouse over actions to clique buttons and they work.

may not be that way for you but it also works for grid this way too thus why I use it
milali

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros