Remove Advertisements

How to know if raid members have aggro?

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

How to know if raid members have aggro?

Postby econ21 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:19 am

I am still mainly using the default UI as it gets the job done, although eventually I would like to switch to the impressive ones posted here. However, one deficiency that is starting to bother me is the lack of information on other raid members except the five in my group. In particular, I would really like to know if one the non-tanks has managed to grab aggro on a mob (so I can taunt it off them).

I do use threat plates and this is fantastic if I want to taunt a mob directly. But sometimes, the fight is confused and I don't have a good view of all mobs. And anyway, threatplates does not distinguish between the other tank having aggro, which is fine, and the healer/dps having it - which is a potential disaster. I also use omen, but that's mainly for single targets (bosses). I guess my concern is not a big deal as it mainly applies only to trash fights (and we tend to handle trash fine) but it still bothers me as I feel blind about half or more of the raid.

For the four in my group, their icons on the left of the screen glow red if they pick up aggro. I can then quickly click on them and use righteous defence to recover aggro. I do shift/drag the names of other raid members from the social/raid tab onto my screen, so I can see their health in the boxes next to their names etc. However, I have not noticed if the boxes glow red for aggro but if they do, it is not very noticeable.

What do more experienced raiders use to get information on other raid members? Are there specific add-ons they use? I looked at grid for off spec healing, but went with healbot as setting up grid seemed rather daunting. Thanks for any advice.
econ21

Re: How to know if raid members have aggro?

Postby Epimer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:15 am

Grid, with Clique for click-casting of taunts. If I see a red dot in the top right corner of a non-tank, click to cast Righteous Defense on that person.

I recommend taking the time to get used to Grid; the configuration menu is a little clunky, but once you're used to it, it becomes an invaluable source of information for not very much screen real estate. I wouldn't raid without GridStatusRaidDebuff, either.
Epimer

Postby amh » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:04 am

Yeah, Grid's default aggro indicator is all right. You can probably config it to be bigger / in a different spot if that's interesting.

I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:35 am

Another vote for Grid.
Belloc

Postby bldavis » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:48 am

Grid is a godsend

it is another addon i dont know how i played without

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:22 am

Grid as well here. I think the default aggro is a red square in the top left corner. I changed it to outline the entire box in red when somebody has aggro.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby _Chloe » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:27 am

I'm one of the few people who doesn't play with Grid. I began playing when CT_Raid was a must and got used to that style and ORA2. Now I use PerfectRaid. Their deficit hp turns red or just says Aggro.
_Chloe

Postby Shoju » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:37 pm

I will be the detractor of grid here. I hate. hate. H.A.T.E. grid with every fiber of my wow playing being.

I use SuF (Shadowed Unit Frames), and SuF raid frames. Need to know who has aggro? their entire raid frame will change from the default green/blue/yellow/red frame colors to bright neon red. It is very easy to see who is pulling aggro.

The only thing that I don't like about SuF raid frames is the debuff icons. I used a different type of unit frames for a long time, and they simply changed the color of the raid frame when there was a debuff that you could cleanse. this option isn't available in SuF, so the debuff icons take a little setup to get them just right.

For that simple annoying, I will take them over Grid every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I use clique as well, though I'm slowly finding that it annoys me more often than it used to.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:56 pm

I'm not a Grid detractor, but I have always found it too complicated to set up, and not very intuitive.

If you are simple folk like me, perhaps VuhDo is a better choice. You can turn on aggro warnings, and you can assign spells to mouse-clicks. I have HoP bound to right-click, and RD bound to left-click. Works great for me.

Another useful tool is TidyPlates. It colour-codes the nameplates of creatures attacking you vs. not attacking you, so you can see in a large pull what you have and, more importantly, what you don't have. I have HoR bound to right-click so I can pick up things easily.

Another useful facet of TidyPlates is the ability to see which mobs in a group are elite. usually those are the ones that need special attention. I started using TidyPlates when Thorim hard mode was a progression kill for my guild. It made a huge deal of difference in ease of managing the arena portion of that fight.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Quinny » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:10 pm

Another vote here for PerfectRaid. Wonderful mod.
Quinny

Postby fizbanic » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:34 am

I use vuhdo. It is essentially the same as heal bot, however for threat a persons name with appear with a series of red arrows on either side of their name pointing towards their name. Then with vuhdo I can program any mouse click to cast Righteous Defense. Aslo I have lay of hands and other heals and spells I might need set to other clicks.

Another option they have in it. is buff window, where I can set any blessing to any class and there is a timer on it to show how many of that class have the buff (or how many are missing it) and if I click on it it will also automatically buff the person missing it. It i disable during combat for convenience.

This is 100 times easier to set up then healbot, more configurations available and easy to use. I tried to set up HB using youtube and still was confused. I tried to set up Vuhdo and it was a breeze and I never bothered with youtube.
fizbanic

Postby Digren » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:36 pm

I used CT_Raid for the longest time, then reconfigured myself for Grid and Clique. Besides threat, it's also my raid unit frames, so I get feedback on ready checks, see who's dead, who has the vampire debuff on Blood Queen, etc. And I have it set up to indicate beacon and SS targets and have Clique set up for healing.
Digren

Postby Loras » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:00 pm

I'm with Shoju on this one. Hate Grid soooo damn much, and I'm so happy with SuF. Lacks a tiny bit of options that I would like it to have extra, but so far the best for my taste (and I've tried loads)
Loras

Postby Led ++ » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:28 am

If you know .lua oUF is probably the best as it has little to no boundaries.
Led ++

Postby blakk » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:48 am

I use grid but I haven't taken the time to actually set it up. I think the addon pack I use set it up some however.
blakk

Next

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros