Nameplate addons

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Nameplate addons

Postby Uprisen » Sat May 22, 2010 5:22 am

The blizzard name plate addons are terrible for tanking because they take up so much screen space. I've tried a few different addons and was torn between caelnameplates and tidyplates. I want to use tidy plates, but the only way for it to enable nameplates only for enemies is to press the V key, and i have that binded to something else important. Is there anyway to change this addon's hotkey?

A big problem that I've found with all the addons is that when i move my camera just slightly, the nameplates move around a lot so that they don't overlap. This is extremely annoying, and I'd rather have overlapping nameplates. Any addons that let me get around this?

I've taken a look at a lot of other nameplate addons but none of them seemed to really stand out. Any recommendations? What nameplate addons do you use?
Uprisen

Re: Nameplate addons

Postby Anorian » Sat May 22, 2010 5:50 am

go into keybindings, and change the binding for show enemy name plates to whatever you like.

I use TukUI, and have no idea what addon is used for nameplates but it's very small which i like. + It has a a red border around mobs i have aggro on.
Anorian

Postby Gamingdevil » Sat May 22, 2010 12:30 pm

To allow the nameplates to overlap. Go into the Interface options in the Blizzard menu. Go to Names and check "Allow Overlapping Unit Nameplates"

Although I find it annoying if the nameplates are flying all over the place so they won't overlap, I find it much more annoying if I can't target an enemy because another nameplate is in the way.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby bldavis » Sat May 22, 2010 5:32 pm

i use tidyplates/threatplates adn ahve overlapping plates, but i have it adjusted to any mob i dont ahve aggro on in my tanking specs the plate will be like 2x the size.

very rarely do i ever have a mob i need to hit, but cant just click on the plate.

and if there is, i also have grid with aggro warning corner dot

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Dantriges » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Is there an option in Tidy/threat plates hat I can exclude mobs specific other people aka my fellow tanks have aggro from? Would be nice if I wouldn´t waste resources on mobs that are already bound.
Dantriges

Postby Chicken » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:09 am

Dantriges wrote:Is there an option in Tidy/threat plates hat I can exclude mobs specific other people aka my fellow tanks have aggro from? Would be nice if I wouldn´t waste resources on mobs that are already bound.
Unfortunately there isn't. What is possible is to make the nameplate display a threat bar and who currently has threat on it if you hold your mouse cursor over it.

Personally I have that option active and also have it configured so that nameplates of anything that I have solid aggro on is both displayed small and mostly transparent (I think I use an alpha value of 33% for it and 50% size). Mobs which I have aggro on but not solid aggro are average size and a bit transparent (66% alpha, 75% size). Finally mobs which I don't have aggro on are set at full size and are 'solid'. That does still mean there's a 'cloud' of nameplates around other tanks, but combine that with the mouseover aggro checking functionality and you can get in the habit of checking whether all those mobs are being tanked while still tanking yourself.

As someone mentioned above though, I also like to use a raid frame with aggro indicators to help determine whether there's a mob loose. I'm pretty sure most raid frames these days have options for those.
Chicken

Postby Loras » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:19 pm

I'd recommend Tidy Plates: Neon over Tidy Plates: Threat Plates with my both hands and feet. They just feel like a gazillion times better; no matter how much I reconfigured Threat Plateas, they never reached the level of satisfaction I get from Neon themed ones, even if they're set on default.
Loras

Postby bldavis » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:40 am

Loras wrote:I'd recommend Tidy Plates: Neon over Tidy Plates: Threat Plates with my both hands and feet. They just feel like a gazillion times better; no matter how much I reconfigured Threat Plateas, they never reached the level of satisfaction I get from Neon themed ones, even if they're set on default.

O.O

both hands and feet?

hmm might have to try this

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros