Easy way to track misdirects and tricks?

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Easy way to track misdirects and tricks?

Postby amh » Mon May 17, 2010 7:09 am

Hai.

Are there any lightweight addons to track usage of MD and tricks? Preferably with some sort of warning when they're off cooldown (so I can track it. I've no faith in being able to get people to install addons). I suspect our raid is slacking with those abilities, and I'd like to nudge people in the right direction. We're not running any logs, so tracking this kind of stuff real-time would be great.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Re: Easy way to track misdirects and tricks?

Postby lythac » Mon May 17, 2010 7:57 am

Big Brother can track tricks and MDs. You can have it displayed in /raid or just to you afaik. Haven't a clue if it will show CDs on the abilities but if you have timestamps in your chat you should have a fairly decent idea.

It probably isn't lightweight.

I know a few on here use it so they will be along shortly.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby amh » Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 am

Seems a bit heavy, yeah. Installed RBS a few days ago to cover buffs and such, so I think that's enough for now. Would something like this work?

Code: Select all
/cast [target=focus] Misdirection
/w .. (how do you whisper your focus?) Misdirection is up!
/in 30 /w Playersownname Misdirection is ready!
/in 30 /w Playersownname Misdirection is ready!
(which will result in the whisper being shown four times (to, from, to, from) in chat, to make it really hard to miss)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Mon May 17, 2010 12:16 pm

/w %f

should whisper your focus I think (or is that %f%... either way, it's the same as the substitution for your target name in a macro, but with an f instead of a t).

However that macro would go off every time the button is pressed, so if someone hits it multiple times (which is likely since MD won't go off during a gcd from something else), you'll get spammed with a dozen whispers.

Tricks is easy to track btw, since it puts a buff on the person receiving the tricks. MD is harder since it only puts a buff on the caster - I believe the combat event still says who it's cast on though. MD is a 30s cooldown, tricks is I think also 30s base, but there might be a glyph or something that can reduce that.

If you're running Execution/TJH, you can just make rules to tell you/raidchat that X has cast tricks/MD on Y. Cooldown timers are more annoying to get.

You can expect rogues to be tricksing on cooldown since it's a dps gain (and iirc doesn't mean wasting a gcd), but hunters aren't going to be using it except on pulls/add spawns. Rogues will usually also be tricksing each other or other dps after the initial pull/add spawn instead of wasting the buff on a tank.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby amh » Mon May 17, 2010 12:48 pm

All right, cheers. Might just run a few logs (just started working on Sindragosa, threat is sketchy for the first couple of air phases) and see how often it gets cast.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Mon May 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Are you doing stuff like stopping your attacks to let Chilled to the Bone fall off or tanking in weird gear/spec? Threat shouldn't really be an issue on that fight any more than on other single-mob fights. I notice non-caster DPS getting pretty high on threat sometimes, but I'm fairly sure all tricks other than the first round are going to DPS for us (i.e. our DK who is getting tricksed is most often the one high on threat).

On that fight hunters actually can MD you fairly often though - running out after a blistering cold and waiting for the boss to land after an air phase are usually free GCDs you can fit an MD into without losing anything.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby amh » Mon May 17, 2010 2:36 pm

fafhrd wrote:Are you doing stuff like stopping your attacks to let Chilled to the Bone fall off or tanking in weird gear/spec?

Frost-res gear. We've only just started working on her, so our tank-swaps in p3 are hairy at best. I haven't been stopping attacks, but I swap bear-cat-bear when running out of the blasts to clear the debuff. I'll try to stop attacking and see if that helps. (Edit: or did you mean /stopattack was a bad thing?)

On that fight hunters actually can MD you fairly often though - running out after a blistering cold and waiting for the boss to land after an air phase are usually free GCDs you can fit an MD into without losing anything.

Indeed, which is why I want to know if they're slacking, or if I'm being paranoid.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Mon May 17, 2010 2:55 pm

amh wrote:
fafhrd wrote:Are you doing stuff like stopping your attacks to let Chilled to the Bone fall off or tanking in weird gear/spec?

Frost-res gear. We've only just started working on her, so our tank-swaps in p3 are hairy at best. I haven't been stopping attacks, but I swap bear-cat-bear when running out of the blasts to clear the debuff. I'll try to stop attacking and see if that helps. (Edit: or did you mean /stopattack was a bad thing?)

Yeah I meant it as a bad thing >.> Note that I've never tanked it, so it might well be necessary, was just looking for an explanation for your threat being low on the fight.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Belloc » Mon May 17, 2010 4:24 pm

As a tank on this fight, I've had times when I was up to 11 stacks of chilled to the bone. I certainly stopped attacking when I noticed :P
Belloc

Postby Darkler » Mon May 17, 2010 11:52 pm

There is an other way to track them, by using That Just Happened.

TJH have been discussed quite alot on this forum as well, so you might have heard about it. If not here is the link.

Anyway, what it does is checking your combat log, and you can make rules for the addon to notice on certain things, like for example Tricks or MDs. If you use alot of rules (i have around 130 atm..) it does get your comp down, as it tracks every rule for the combat log all the time. I dont have any problems with it in 10man, but in 25man its noticeable :/

The rule I use for MD shows when the MD is up, from who on who, and when its over (ie either duration is up by time, or that the number of MD:ed hits are up). The same can ofc be done for Tricks. What you also can do is add an other rule with a delay, to for example show a message for only you when the cool down on the different abilities are over, for each player.

So, the rules (so you can just copy them instead of trying to understand the kinda complicated user interface :))

/tjh rule SPELL_CAST_SUCCESS;;;Misdirection;raid;RAID;- *spell on *target by *source -
When the spell Misdirection is cast, by someone in the raid, on someone in the raid, the message '- MD on X by Y -" is announced in raid chat.

/tjh rule SPELL_AURA_APPLIED;;YOURNAME;Misdirection;raid;SAY;*spell on me.
To know when you get MDed. If you want to know from who, replace last part with *spell on me by *source.

/tjh rule SPELL_AURA_REMOVED;;YOURNAME;Misdirection;raid;SAY;*spell finished.
To know when the MD is over and the threat generation is no longer.

/tjh rule SPELL_CAST_SUCCESS;;;Misdirection;raid;SAY;*spell CD over for *source.;30
To tell you (and others, change the 'SAY' to RAID, PARTY, RW, etc if you want to show for more) when the cooldown is over. The last 30 is a delay in seconds from when the rule is triggered.
And change the spell name of 'Misdirection' to 'Tricks of the Trade' to track the roges..

Hope it helps. And sorry for the long text :/
Darkler

Postby amh » Tue May 18, 2010 3:17 am

Darkler wrote:There is an other way to track them, by using That Just Happened.

TJH have been discussed quite alot on this forum as well, so you might have heard about it. If not here is the link.

Yeah, I'm familiar with it. :) Seemed way too heavy for this one simple task, but it looks like it's the best option. Thanks for your time, and for your rules.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Darkler » Tue May 18, 2010 3:35 am

My pleasure :)

But I dont think its that heavy really, as long as you dont have too many rules..

And btw, check so them work before entering the raid if thats possible. Ive had some problems regarding *source lately, just so you know.
Darkler

Postby fafhrd » Tue May 18, 2010 7:36 am

Darkler wrote:/tjh rule SPELL_CAST_SUCCESS;;;Misdirection;raid;SAY;*spell CD over for *source.;30
To tell you (and others, change the 'SAY' to RAID, PARTY, RW, etc if you want to show for more) when the cooldown is over. The last 30 is a delay in seconds from when the rule is triggered.
And change the spell name of 'Misdirection' to 'Tricks of the Trade' to track the roges..

Hope it helps. And sorry for the long text :/

Does this actually work with the current Misdirect? The old MD (the one with the 3 charges) would work fine with this, since the cooldown started as soon as you cast the spell. The new one which just redirects all threat for 4s after your first damaging attack doesn't go on cooldown until that first damaging attack though. So basically you can and usually do cast MD before the fight starts and wait for the pull - you get the MD buff on you and I imagine that fires a SPELL_CAST_SUCCESS message. The 30s cooldown doesn't start counting down until you shoot the boss with the buff up though - maybe there's another SPELL_CAST_SUCCESS when that happens? If so it would work fine, but if the event is on pressing the button to cast MD, the timer would be off by up to 30 seconds (that's how long the buff lasts, at which point it goes on cooldown for 30s whether you've redirected any threat or not). Tricks works the same way I think.

This would only really matter for the first MD at a pull or during a phase transition or something though, since in-fight MDs will usually immediately start redirecting threat since you're already attack.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue May 18, 2010 9:24 am

Does the buff MD applies to the Hunter fall off as soon as you start attacking? It could look for aura fading on the Hunter if that's the case.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Darkler » Tue May 18, 2010 10:52 pm

Ah, good catch there!

I didnt think of that..

But if I understand you correctly the CD starts 30 seconds after the first damaging attack during the 4 seconds window, or 26 seconds after the "last attack" (or 4 second window is over).

In that case the rule should just be changed to
/tjh rule SPELL_AURA_REMOVED;;YOURNAME;Misdirection;raid;SAY;*spell CD over for *source.;26
as it now announces 26 seconds after the buff misdirection is removed from the player.

But how does Tricks work?

Ill get some new combat logs later on today when I get home, as the once I have access to right now from work seems to be from mid 2009 :)
Darkler

Next

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros