Remove Advertisements

Asking for help, once again

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Asking for help, once again

Postby guillex » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:46 am

Hi all,

So, every once in a while I put out a plea for help with my UI/Addons.

It's come that time again.

I can't from work, but as soon as I have a chance at home I'll be putting up a SS of my current UI and installed addons.

I'm looking to completely wipe my addons and settings folders (though I'll be keeping the combination of TomTom, LightHeaded, and TourGuide installed, as I find them VERY useful for leveling, and am in the middle of using them for my 75 DK), and start from scratch with it.

Things that I'm looking to have would be Ret and Prot addons (as I'll be getting dual spec soon, I hope), along with some gear checking and auctioning addons.

I'd like lightweight mod suggestions, along with PB4 settings (I've already gotten in touch with someone for setting up PB4 to look like PerfectRaid). I know it's a little easier to see what I'm working with now if I had a screenie, but I don't.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, fo' sho'! And suggested layouts also ;)

Just to give a rough idea:

Code: Select all
PB4 Frames    |MSBT Messages   |Map   
Raid Frames   |BigWigs Timers  |      
------------------------------------------------
Empty         |MSBT            |Quest stuff   
Empty         |                |Elkano's Buffs   
------------------------------------------------
Recount       |Aura Bar/Abils  |Omen      
Chat Frame    |Menu/Bags       |      


That's where things are kind of right now. I have a 22" widescreen LCD, so I have a decent amount of real estate ... but I don't really know how to take advantage of it all.
Póg mo thóin
Image
User avatar
guillex
Moderator
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby guillex » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:30 pm

Alright, so a bit of an older image, but here this is basically the layout:

Image

And a list of the addons being used:

Image

Thanks again for any and all help :)
Póg mo thóin
Image
User avatar
guillex
Moderator
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby Aubade » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:06 pm

Hmm, Idk about PB4 being lightweight but.

elkanos buff-bars are a bit high, I use default (they work well.)
Bartender is good
Msbt is good
Try using Grid for raid-frames and Ag_unitframes for unitframes. they are both light-weight and visually attractive.
Image
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
User avatar
Aubade
Moderator
 
Posts: 4872
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby Epimer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:36 am

I really dislike SexyMap. I don't think it's at all attractive (totally subjective of course) and if it's the "no buttons on my map" thing you're after, Chinchilla will do that for a fraction of the resources. If you want your minimap buttons available elsewhere, I'd recommend Data_Broker plugins for them, which can act like a resource-light FuBar.

I'm not a fun of Elkano's but that's because I'm not a fan of the bar-type buff layouts. I don't think they're a good trade-off in terms of information gained vs. screen real estate lost, but that's coming from the perspective of a 15.4" laptop user and you stated that screen real estate isn't an issue. I use Satrina's but it's not the lightest of addons.

Recount + Omen could be replaced by Skada, which can be set to be a threat meter in combat and a damage/healing/etc. meter out of combat. My one issue with it is that, unless this has been updated recently, it doesn't show TPS values in the threat meter, just relative threat percentages.

I think you could slim down your action bars to make everything look a bit slicker. All of my Hand spells and taunts (and healing spells) are activated through Clique, and I have a Cooldown mod (CooldownTimers or CooldownWatch, I forget which) configured to pop up bars to show when they're coming off cooldown, to compensate for not having them on an action bar. If you react better to text, you can leave MSBT set up to show you "Hand of Protection is available!" but I found I just subconsciously ignored that and the bar thing worked better for me.
User avatar
Epimer
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:54 am

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby Aubade » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:51 am

I reccomend putting your buffs/mounts/res/Hand spells/DI on a seperate bar, setting the visibility to 10 or 0 and 100 on mouseover and hiding it in a corner. makes your UI much cleaner.

Example. See the right side. I have flasks/food/Elixirs/Res/Mounts/pots/Pets/spells without a CD that I have keybound. hidden.

Image
Image
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
User avatar
Aubade
Moderator
 
Posts: 4872
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby guillex » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:06 am

I'll start looking at all of that when I have the chance tonight. What spurned me into action on this was getting a TON of video lag a couple of weeks ago... I'm running a decent system with an SLI config, and I believe a Core2Duo (albeit outdated), with 2gb of RAM.

I shouldn't get video lag. In fact, I haven't ever gotten lag in the 2 years since I built this PC. So I figured that it was time to look at my addons/UI.

Epimer wrote:I really dislike SexyMap. I don't think it's at all attractive (totally subjective of course) and if it's the "no buttons on my map" thing you're after, Chinchilla will do that for a fraction of the resources. If you want your minimap buttons available elsewhere, I'd recommend Data_Broker plugins for them, which can act like a resource-light FuBar.


I had Data_Broker plugins installed, but I never got around to configuring it ... so it was basically hanging around doing nothing. I kinda like SexyMap, but hey, I'm always open to new things. I'll check out Chinchilla for sure.

Epimer wrote:I'm not a fun of Elkano's but that's because I'm not a fan of the bar-type buff layouts. I don't think they're a good trade-off in terms of information gained vs. screen real estate lost, but that's coming from the perspective of a 15.4" laptop user and you stated that screen real estate isn't an issue. I use Satrina's but it's not the lightest of addons.


I'm not a fan of button type buffs personally ... And plus I love being able to move my buffs to a spot that I know I'll be looking at during a raid/instance. It might be time to go back to the icon layout, but I still REALLLLLLLY like bars. *shrug* Maybe I'll be able to find a mod that can move the default icons to a different place on my UI.

Epimer wrote:Recount + Omen could be replaced by Skada, which can be set to be a threat meter in combat and a damage/healing/etc. meter out of combat. My one issue with it is that, unless this has been updated recently, it doesn't show TPS values in the threat meter, just relative threat percentages.


Again, I'm pretty fanboi-ish about these two. I was using Diamond during the WotLK Beta, and I really wasn't sure about it.

For the moment, I'm main Ret picking up pieces to tank as an off set (kind of odd as I started on these boards almost 3 years ago as a tank!!), so TPS isn't ridiculously important... as long as I can see how close I'm riding the tank's ass.

Epimer wrote:I think you could slim down your action bars to make everything look a bit slicker. All of my Hand spells and taunts (and healing spells) are activated through Clique, and I have a Cooldown mod (CooldownTimers or CooldownWatch, I forget which) configured to pop up bars to show when they're coming off cooldown, to compensate for not having them on an action bar. If you react better to text, you can leave MSBT set up to show you "Hand of Protection is available!" but I found I just subconsciously ignored that and the bar thing worked better for me.


I actually need to fiddle with MSBT, and change where the messages show up. They're overlapping with the BigWigs warnings... I've always had a problem with my actionbars too. I have a couple of bars that are in the lower right-hand corner of the UI that are faded out. I'll fiddle with that, possibly leave quest stuff on there too.

I'll take a look at the Cooldown mod, but I'll probably just stick with MSBT because I'm so attached to it.

Aubade wrote:I reccomend putting your buffs/mounts/res/Hand spells/DI on a seperate bar, setting the visibility to 10 or 0 and 100 on mouseover and hiding it in a corner. makes your UI much cleaner.

Example. See the right side. I have flasks/food/Elixirs/Res/Mounts/pots/Pets/spells without a CD that I have keybound. hidden.


Is there not a mod that will randomly choose a mount for you, that would effectively replace having a mount on an action bar? I remember reading that somewhere.

This all makes sense though. I'm part keybinder/clicker, so I tend to keep everything visible for clickage.

Think I should go through the keybindings thread and see what might work for me, eh?

Thanks for the responses so far ... Please please please keep them coming!
Póg mo thóin
Image
User avatar
guillex
Moderator
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby Levantine » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:14 am

Sexymap is a bloated, poorly coded piece of crap.

agUF is NOT attractive, and Grid is a metric fuckton of work to configure to look somewhat decent. You're better off sticking with Pitbull for that, in my opinion.
User avatar
Levantine
 
Posts: 10817
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: NQ, Aus

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:20 am

I'm always surprised at the reaction to Grid. I never found it difficult, stuck with the defaults and it's been a pretty piece of raid info/healing tool since the off.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 10994
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby jere » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:49 am

My only problem with grid is I really like ordering raid members by class rather than by group. I haven't played with it in a long time, but I could never get it to order my raid members that way. At some point, I need to look at it again and see if that changed.
Image
User avatar
jere
 
Posts: 2951
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:12 pm

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby guillex » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:36 am

Levantine wrote:Sexymap is a bloated, poorly coded piece of crap.


That might be my problem, then...

Levantine wrote:agUF is NOT attractive, and Grid is a metric fuckton of work to configure to look somewhat decent. You're better off sticking with Pitbull for that, in my opinion.


I went from ag_UF to PB. I'm not going to be changing any time soon, haha!

Also, in regards to Grid, I honestly only used it while I was healing through t4/5 content. I then let it go for unitframe addons and aggro highlighting extensions. Soooo ... Yeah. IMO, Grid is more useful for healers than for my particular needs. No, it's not a healer ONLY mod ... But it's not one that I see as being useful for myself.

Decursive works fine for me.
Póg mo thóin
Image
User avatar
guillex
Moderator
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby Levantine » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:47 pm

You can do some amazing things with Grid for sure, it's a very powerful addon for everyone with how flexible it is, but yeh, it's quite a bit of work to get looking decent.
User avatar
Levantine
 
Posts: 10817
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: NQ, Aus

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby amh » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:58 am

Image

Sorry of any of this has been answered, short on time.

1. Is that decursive? Why have both that and pitbull raid-frames (which incidentally take up a huge amount of space)? As others mention, Grid is awesome, especially combined with Clique.

2. Big EBB-fan myself. What I would do is size it down, and make sure you filter out buffs you don't care about. Moonkin aura, elemental oath, Ebon Champion (tabards), there's a lot of rubbish. My normal buffs I use more or less as a reference, it's not something I'm concerned about mid-fight. Small font, short bar.

3. Are your debuffs anchored to your buffs? I've separated mine completely, just so that whenever I do have a debuff, I know exactly where it is, and it stands out (my debuffs are huge and the text is easily readable, can't see through the bars).

4. Do you need / want recount visible in combat? Mine lives down in the right corner somewhere, again only as a reference. Of course a matter of preference.

5. Looks like I covered that in point 1. Let's see... Ah yes, do you not use pallypower?

6. Do you need bag-bars?

7. Do you need the mini-menu? Only thing I ever use there is the ticket-system, which is about once a month after they made boss-loot tradeable for two hours. When I do need it, I just type /bar and activate it till I'm done with the ticket.

I see you're using MSBT, have you customized it at all? Mine got a bit spammy, so I finally started filtering stuff. Throttle how often Rampage/Abominable Strength/Unleashed Rage etc are allowed to appear, increase threshhold for how big incoming heals have to be to be visible, that kinda stuff. http://www.pvptutorial.com/uitutorial/msbt is good, else I have a TL;DR version I can send you later if you want.

My current, for reference. Should be more or less accurate, though I resize Grid a lot according to raid-size. I also need to work out a set bar-form for all my characters at one point: http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq12 ... veview.jpg

Edit: found a pic that actually had a debuff. It's barely visible behind my char-sheet, but you get the idea. http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq12 ... 223708.jpg
I used to play a paladin.
User avatar
amh
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 6:25 am
Location: Oh hi

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby guillex » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:13 am

amh wrote:Sorry of any of this has been answered, short on time.

1. Is that decursive? Why have both that and pitbull raid-frames (which incidentally take up a huge amount of space)? As others mention, Grid is awesome, especially combined with Clique.


Yeah, that is Decursive. Unlimit is going to be helping me with PitBull, to size it down to something along the lines of the Perfectraid layout, so that's going to free up more space.

Like I said, that's an older screenshot.

amh wrote:2. Big EBB-fan myself. What I would do is size it down, and make sure you filter out buffs you don't care about. Moonkin aura, elemental oath, Ebon Champion (tabards), there's a lot of rubbish. My normal buffs I use more or less as a reference, it's not something I'm concerned about mid-fight. Small font, short bar.


I never really got around to fiddling with all the settings of EBB, so I never really figured out how to filter out stuff, which is why it's pretty much at default.

amh wrote:3. Are your debuffs anchored to your buffs? I've separated mine completely, just so that whenever I do have a debuff, I know exactly where it is, and it stands out (my debuffs are huge and the text is easily readable, can't see through the bars).


Yeah, they are anchored. I'm guessing that's something that I can figure out in the settings of EBB?

amh wrote:4. Do you need / want recount visible in combat? Mine lives down in the right corner somewhere, again only as a reference. Of course a matter of preference.


For the moment, yes. I'm starting to get my gear level up, so I like to see how I'm doing from one night to the next. I know that Invis and the other officers have theirs going to see how people are doing/if they're switching targets properly/if they're slacking, but I like having it as a personal gauge on how I'm doing on any given night.

I could probably take it out from being in combat, so that I can check it afterwards. I don't know about that, though.

amh wrote:5. Looks like I covered that in point 1. Let's see... Ah yes, do you not use pallypower?


I actually JUST reinstalled this last night!

amh wrote:6. Do you need bag-bars?

7. Do you need the mini-menu? Only thing I ever use there is the ticket-system, which is about once a month after they made boss-loot tradeable for two hours. When I do need it, I just type /bar and activate it till I'm done with the ticket.


Ermmm .. no. To both. Good point. I've seen people with a couple of things down at the bottom of their UI ... I'll edit in/reply with a link to the screenie I'm thinking about.

amh wrote:I see you're using MSBT, have you customized it at all? Mine got a bit spammy, so I finally started filtering stuff. Throttle how often Rampage/Abominable Strength/Unleashed Rage etc are allowed to appear, increase threshhold for how big incoming heals have to be to be visible, that kinda stuff. http://www.pvptutorial.com/uitutorial/msbt is good, else I have a TL;DR version I can send you later if you want.


It's still a bit spammy ... The only thing that I've changed on it (iirc) is where my incoming gains/heals are. If you imagine that screenshot as me being in combat, my incoming gains (replenishment, judgements, heals, rejuvs/etc.) are in a "column" that float up, right around where the candelabra is to the left of my EBB. I haven't played around MUCH with the throttling, but I do have it so that my consecration/crits/etc., show up as [x dmg, y hits]

amh wrote:My current, for reference. Should be more or less accurate, though I resize Grid a lot according to raid-size. I also need to work out a set bar-form for all my characters at one point: http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq12 ... veview.jpg

Edit: found a pic that actually had a debuff. It's barely visible behind my char-sheet, but you get the idea. http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq12 ... 223708.jpg


Ohhhh you sneaky editor! I'll take a look at these now. Hadn't seen them before. ;)

EDIT: I see what you mean about the debuffs ... I think that's a bit overkill for me, but I would like to get the debuffs away from where they are... When we're raiding, there are times that everything's pushed down so far that I can't see what's on me or not.
Póg mo thóin
Image
User avatar
guillex
Moderator
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby trellian » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:29 am

FYI I have setup PB4 raidframes to look similar to Grid. Combined with Clique that's one addon less you need to load.

See here for how it looks:
Image


amh wrote:7. Do you need the mini-menu? Only thing I ever use there is the ticket-system, which is about once a month after they made boss-loot tradeable for two hours. When I do need it, I just type /bar and activate it till I'm done with the ticket.


Type: /gm
is a lot faster ;)
User avatar
trellian
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:02 am
Location: Silvermoon, EU

Re: Asking for help, once again

Postby guillex » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:42 am

One of my biggest questions is, how the crap do you kill off most (if not all) of the buttons that addons seem to stick onto the mini-map?

I installed Chinchilla last night, took a quick look at everything, but couldn't see an option to hide the buttons.
Póg mo thóin
Image
User avatar
guillex
Moderator
 
Posts: 7490
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Next

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest