Remove Advertisements

Scrolling text: Why?

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Scrolling text: Why?

Postby Jkaen » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:26 am

I see alot of people on their UI mods have various forms of text coming up telling them about damage values, overheals and various of combat information.

I have seen it far too much to believe its all epeen waving, but I can't understand how the information given actually helps you tank better.

Can somebody please explain / convince me about the value of these UI given you lose some visability of the fight to have them.
Jkaen

Re: Scrolling text: Why?

Postby Magnilda » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:03 am

To see when things are resisted, immune, how hard you're being hit, etc..
Magnilda

Postby jere » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:07 am

Depending on what mod you use, it is also useful for spell identification. For example, back in the Naxx days, I used it on Grand Widow to know when her rain of fire was hitting me (red text color versus the standard color) while I had spell details turned way down. Sometimes they are useful and give you counts of how many enemies you are hitting (EX: 3000 Consecration [10 hits] ).

I am not sure how it would be considered epeen waving though, given that only you can see it and not anyone else.

Currently, I am trying Eavesdrop out in place of my scrolling combat text to see if I can manage with change. So far it hasn't been bad. It has increased my screen visibility and gives me an "extra" filtered combat log as well.
jere

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 am

How much damage am I taking? Did a debuff drop off?
What kind of damage is it? Do I need to be popping cooldowns or calling for externals?
Who is healing me? Did someone go off-line, or did I move out of range?
How much damage am I doing? Are mobs correctly positioned in cons? Am I in the right gearset or did I forget to change clothes again?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Jkaen » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:52 am

Hmm, thanks.

I can see a bit of use for it now in cutting edge progress runs, but I think most of the useful things I can see for it I can get by just looking at the fight.

Thanks for the feedback guys, but I think I will stay uncluttered.
Jkaen

Postby Candiru » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:39 am

It was pro on ilidari council to instantly warn you when you were taking damage from an AOE, or ABOUT to take damage from an AoE (Since the "you are afflicted by consecration" would pop up a Consecration icon on your damage taken scrolling text.) Meant you had ninja reflexes!
Candiru

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:16 am

FWIW, it's possible to have this information on-screen without it causing clutter. I guess it would also depend on what resolution screen you're running with and how much real estate you have.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros