RDX

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

RDX

Postby Kelaan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:49 pm

Fafhrd has frequently mentioned RDX in several threads here, and I'm curious. Is there an RDX resource with postings that are less than a year or so old? last I looked, it looked like things were all pre-wrath. I assume since you (Fafhrd) mention it that it's solid? How much was involved in replacing your current raid/unit/etc frames with RDX? I'm intrigued but at the same time am un-eager to spend several nights reconfigging something, especially when the download links for just about every single mod/plugin/package (??) for it on its forums seem to be dead links.
Kelaan

Re: RDX

Postby fafhrd » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:21 pm

I believe you're supposed to download it off wowinterface, with the forums for info or specific packages. Links to both are at http://www.openrdx.com/ (not sure if you've been looking there or on the old paid RDX site, which was definitely pre wrath) - the forums seemed to be up to date for this year (not as active as I remember though :S).

I haven't actually updated my RDX in 6 months or so, since it rarely breaks on patches (actually used the version from SSC into mid sunwell, and the sunwell version into mid wrath), so can't say how current the recent links are.

I didn't replace my raid frames with RDX, I never had raid frames other than RDX :P But I do remake them every now and then, it doesn't take more than a couple minutes each time (but I've done it a lot) - the window wizard is pretty user friendly and easy to use.

I don't use RDX for my unitframes though, aguf is easier to configure - there are packages available on the site for unitframes and every thing else - last I tried they were pretty quick to install, although customizing them to look how I wanted took hours (think old discord unit frames type config, but with more ability to completely screw things up) - maybe that's been improved by now.

For full disclosure, I've actually disabled RDX recently and have been trying to use grid + clique for my raid frames instead >.> Performance is slightly better, but I had to find out how to make a custom grid layout addon to make the frames display vertically like I want, and the individual frames still aren't as easy to read as I like. Also no mod I've tried does assist frames as well as RDX does :/ And sometimes I miss the custom desktops and things RDX used to do.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Kelaan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:09 am

fafhrd wrote:http://www.openrdx.com/ .... the forums seemed to be up to date for this year (not as active as I remember though :S).

Yeah, I had found the link. (Note: I found the thread I should have posted the OP in, sorry for splitting a new thread rather than necro-ing your OpenRDX thread! I found it again after I had posted this one.) The forums have a few things, but nearly every screenshot I found was a broken link... though, I didn't look carefully at some of the zip links. It just didn't seem like a very active community. However, if it's as stable as you say, it might not be an issue.

I haven't actually updated my RDX in 6 months or so, since it rarely breaks on patches....
I don't use RDX for my unitframes though, aguf is easier to configure.
I've disabled RDX recently and have been trying to use grid + clique for my raid frames instead >.> Performance is slightly better... the individual frames still aren't as easy to read as I like. Also no mod I've tried does assist frames as well as RDX does :/

Interesting. May I ask why you decided to go to grid rather than stay with RDX? Was there something you felt was missing?
Kelaan

Postby fafhrd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Kelaan wrote:
I haven't actually updated my RDX in 6 months or so, since it rarely breaks on patches....
I don't use RDX for my unitframes though, aguf is easier to configure.
I've disabled RDX recently and have been trying to use grid + clique for my raid frames instead >.> Performance is slightly better... the individual frames still aren't as easy to read as I like. Also no mod I've tried does assist frames as well as RDX does :/

Interesting. May I ask why you decided to go to grid rather than stay with RDX? Was there something you felt was missing?

Nothing missing, it was motivated by performance in raids solely (as in FPS/CPU utilization). When I upgraded to wrath from BC my computer's performance in raids generally went down, going from stable 40-60 FPS in combat in sunwell to as low as 15-20 in early Naxx. I pared out a lot of mods since early wrath to climb back up to around 25-30 fps now, and RDX was one of the latest ones, in my most recent performance push (also replaced my buff, tooltip and timer mods that day, disabled TJH etc.) For most fights by this point I was just using RDX for having a list of raid frames to target/misdirect/focus/master's call/intervene/vigilance off of, and the occasional custom window. It didn't make sense taking the performance hit when there are mods that do just that without all the other stuff RDX can do (although I still think grid+clique does it worse than RDX does).

If you can't tell, I'd really rather use RDX for a lot of things than the mods I'm using right now - but my computer doesn't seem up to it anymore for some reason.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby cordelia » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:22 am

I heard you mention in another thread that RDX can show unitframes for every mob in the room, and perhaps, also their target and targetoftarget. There is no other mod that I know of that does this (outside of a PvP arena and Gladius). It would definitely be worth looking into for that purpose alone. Could you elaborate, or point me in the right direction re: setting this up?
cordelia

Postby fafhrd » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:26 am

I believe it's the multi-target OOBE here: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... rgets.html

but like I said I haven't used it myself :S I'll try to get some better details from guildies tonight on what they're using and how well it works.

Note that all RDX distribution and forums appears to have moved to http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/foru ... y.php?f=76
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Kelaan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:35 pm

Oh, AWESOME. Thanks, Fafhrd. Multi target enemy frames would be frickin' awesome for Faction Champions . . . :D
Kelaan

Postby fafhrd » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:50 pm

All the examples posted there seem to be pvp targets though, make me worry about whether they work with mobs.

Think i'm biting the bullet and upgrading rdx this weekend to try this out.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby fafhrd » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:20 pm

Hm. So I tried the multitarget thing linked above, and either it doesn't work fully with the current version of RDX, or it's not what people claimed it is. I can get it to start listing the people in my group/raid who are targetting mobs, and which mobs are being targetted. It shows what the people in my raid are casting too, and I think I saw it do that for the mobs as well (hard to tell, trash mobs in heroics don't seem to cast all that often), but none of it is clickable to target. And I asked the guildie who'd been talking about it being great a week or two ago, and he now says it doesn't work, so I guess all the fuss may have been for naught.

Although given that I've never gotten it to actually look like the screenshots show, I still have faint hope of it just being broken now. Comments from the author still seem to imply that it actually worked with a previous version.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros