Remove Advertisements

Tracking with Need to Know

All things /script related

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, _Chloe

Tracking with Need to Know

Postby Ard » Thu May 07, 2009 12:45 am

I got his idea from the EJ thread on Rogue UIs. I've set up need to know so it tracks certain things for me:

- Holy shield
- Libram of Obstruction
- Divine Protection
- Sacred Shield (selfcast)
- Divine Plea
- Lavanthor's Talisman (on use buff)

Rogues tend to use it for Slice and Dice/Rupture/Poisons but it made sense to me to use that functionality to track stuff useful to me. They are just to the left of my own unitframe. I also considerd tracking Judgement of Wisdom and Vengeance debuffs on target but somehow don't find they are that important.

What do you track that helps you tank?
Ard <Vision of Excellence> - The Venture Co. EU
Blogging at holysh---ock.blogspot.com
Wilfred Fizzlebang, Master Summoner!
Ard

Re: Tracking with Need to Know

Postby Airanna » Thu May 07, 2009 1:26 pm

I use Classtimer, personally. Tracks all my procs/on use buffs, seal, HS, DP, SS, AS proc on target, SoV stack on target, HotC on target and Judgement on target. When I'm ret it also tracks Art of War, Vengeance, Vindication, Righteous Vengeance and Sheath of Light procs.
Airanna

Postby Arees » Wed May 13, 2009 2:44 pm

I first looked for a mod that did this while I was leveling my dk to help me track my diseases. Needtoknow is what I found and I really like it. Its simple and easy to configure. I set it up on my pally to show Sacred Shield and Divine Plea if I'm prot and Art of War procs if I'm ret.
Arees

Postby Florisia » Thu May 14, 2009 5:00 am

I actually use NeedToKnow myself. I use mine to monitor my trinkets, Avenging Wrath(With a BIG red bar at the top of my screen), and I also use it to keep an eye on Holy Shield, Sacred Shield, Divine Plea(It's fun to watch the timer keep refreshing).

Most recently, I've used it to track the Figurine - Monarch Crab(I think its Time's Favor), which I have set to automattically go off with my Holy Shield(With a one minute cool down, I don't really see the need to reserve it as an OH NO button) and the Mongoose effect(Of which its buff name eludes me at the moment) to let me know when I have that extra avoidance. I actually got the idea from my rogue friend, who also reads elitist jerks. :P
Florisia

Postby Ard » Fri May 15, 2009 3:01 am

The Mongoose buff is called Lightning Speed :) that's something I need to track as well, and thiking about putting the proc from the gossamer Trinket on there as well.

Thanks for replies everyone!
Ard

Postby cordelia » Sat May 23, 2009 5:14 pm

Do people who use NeedtoKnow stop using both classtimers and cooldowntimers?
cordelia

Postby Kezia » Sat May 23, 2009 11:25 pm

cordelia wrote:Do people who use NeedtoKnow stop using both classtimers and cooldowntimers?

I use OmniCC in addition which puts CD remaining on the buttons themselves, then NTK next to unitframes showing important buffs/debuffs.
Rhetoric of the Nightfall - Alterac Mountains (US)

Guild Master, Virulent // www.virulentam.wowstead.com // www.twitter.com/virulentam
Kezia

Postby Ard » Tue May 26, 2009 7:53 am

cordelia wrote:Do people who use NeedtoKnow stop using both classtimers and cooldowntimers?

I don't use either, though classtimers to me seems a completer mod, because it just tracks everything. Right now NTK is letting me down a bit for tracking Holy Shield as it sometimes bugs when it's not worn off and I refresh it + it doesn't show the numebr of blocks correctly. Does classtimers do this right?
Ard

Postby Persiphonie » Wed May 27, 2009 11:55 am

Hello all:

I just downloaded this mod and am trying to get it to work. I dont know if I am doing it wrong or missing a setting.. I just cant seem to get it to track. Right now I am trying with Sacred Shield and my Monarch Crab trinket. I am just curious if someone could give me a quick run down on how to set it up.

Thanks in Advance for the Help.
Persiphonie

Postby Ard » Thu May 28, 2009 7:54 am

When you type /ntk in your interface you'll see 1 group of 3 bars appear that are grey. That's what you start with.
When you right click on the bar you specify what you want it to track (Buff or Debuff - On Player or On Target)
Then, by selecting "(de)buff to track", you specify which (de)buff. It brings up a text box, in that you type the name of the actual effect (so for holy shield it's Holy Shield, if you want to track Mongoose you need to type Lightning Speed as that is the name of the actual buf you receive)

Then you can choose the colour of the bar as well and by dragging the size.

Lastly you type /ntk again and the bars you just set up disappear. they'll reappear again as soon as the buff is detected.

In the Esc-menu in wow itself is also an Add-on tab, NTK has a few more options there (how many banks of bars you want, how many bars per bank etc.)

For my rogue I have 4 banks: 2 just above target frame that track poisons (1bar each), one to the left which tracks Slice n Dice and Rupture and one big one across the screen that tracks things like Berserker buffs and trinket buffs/procs.

Hope this helps!
Ard

Postby Persiphonie » Thu May 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Yeah, That helps..

I got Holy Shield and Sacred Shield working.. I just cant seem to get my Monarch Crab to track. I cant find the buff name on Thott or wowhead.
Persiphonie

Postby Ard » Fri May 29, 2009 5:56 am

Easiest way to find the buff name is to activate the trinket and hover over the Icon in the top-right hand corner of the screen, the mouseover tooltip has the name in it. (also some scrolling combat texts will display the name of the buff as it becomes active.
Ard

Postby majorwoo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:29 pm

Personally I use power aura's - I forget who showed it to me on here but it's very nice. You can configure text/graphics/sounds to pop up somewhere on your screen to alert you to missing/gained buffs/debuffs.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... assic.aspx
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Return to Add-ons, UI, and Macros