Remove Advertisements

Not tanking - how to maximize dps?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby Maranus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:22 pm

Aurica wrote:oh dear what are the odds of getting someone to craft nightfall...

If you can't find anyone exalted, find a revered person and pillage old guild banks for the cores/leather.
You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Maranus

Postby Penny » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:48 am

To add to this:

1. I can make the axe, and now that I have read this forum, i am going to make one for myself.

2. What enchant to put on it?
--
Pennydragon - Tankadin - 77 - Llane
--
Penny

Postby ColinSFX <Celesti> » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:04 pm

Penny wrote:What enchant to put on it?

My first impulse would be Battlemaster. Anything that's focused on increasing your own DPS isn't going to be worth the materials to craft it, so you wanna go for something that, like the weapon itself, provides everyone with a benefit. Spellsurge might be nice as well, but you'd have to be judging and casting as often as you could to take advantage of it.
ColinSFX <Celesti>

Postby Entrig » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:22 pm

Okay going to beat a dead horse here, but is there a way we can maybe get people who even know someone who can craft this to post on here, I have the mats, and am even willing to make a lowbie toon, do a server transfer get it made, make anothyer lowbie and transfer back to get this. Sounds insane, but my server is a bit in the backwater so desparate times call for desparate measures.
Entrig

Postby Eanin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:08 am

Penny wrote:To add to this:

1. I can make the axe, and now that I have read this forum, i am going to make one for myself.

2. What enchant to put on it?

Iron Counterweight.

No really :)
Eanin

Postby Worldie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:54 am

The counterweight is the best possible enchant at the moment since the procrate is on % and not ppm.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Blutreich » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:35 am

if you are going to go the nightfall method why not JoW SoR while stacking spelldamage, also i concur with the iron counterweight idea, sure it is a dime store enchant but wth it actually is nice here. or even if you already got a JoW then JotC and score some more respectable dps, sure you aren't going to be able to beat the top dpser but you might get some impressive dps for prot.
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Postby Tiandelin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:17 am

Blutreich wrote:if you are going to go the nightfall method why not JoW SoR while stacking spelldamage, also i concur with the iron counterweight idea, sure it is a dime store enchant but wth it actually is nice here. or even if you already got a JoW then JotC and score some more respectable dps, sure you aren't going to be able to beat the top dpser but you might get some impressive dps for prot.

The point of using Nightfall is to boost your casters' dps, not your own. It's really a horrible weapon for the purpose of personal dps. I usually use JotC, but that's because I have the +crit talent for it. SotC increases your attack speed (and thus proc rate) by 40%, which makes it by far the clear winner for use with Nightfall.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Blutreich » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:25 am

The point of using Nightfall is to boost your casters' dps, not your own. It's really a horrible weapon for the purpose of personal dps. I usually use JotC, but that's because I have the +crit talent for it. SotC increases your attack speed (and thus proc rate) by 40%, which makes it by far the clear winner for use with Nightfall.

there are still those who think PPM procs aren't improved by SotC, and the dps of the weapon doesn't matter if you are going for spelldamage dps
Last edited by Blutreich on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Postby Maranus » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:55 pm

Would mongoose yield a better average attack speed, or would iron counter weight?
You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Maranus

Postby Zsorn1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:11 pm

I take care of my ranged casters and my melee by rotating judgement of light and wisdom. If its a healing intensive fight.. I watch the melee and throw my healing gear on. If its farm status or easymode.. I just act like I am dpsing while rotating useful judgements.
Zsorn1

Postby Aleriya » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:18 pm

Nightfall is roughly 2 ppm before haste effects.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have a Retadin whose sole purpose is to swing Nightfall. Stack melee haste rating and go to town :) You might be able to make up for your pitiful melee dps with the uber debuff, plus allowing JoL, JoW, and iJoCr would be nice. Not to mention that I'd love to have Sanc aura . . .
Aleriya

Postby Splug » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:50 am

I have exaulted Thorium Brotherhood reputation from the MC days. Currently I'm a swordsmith, but seeing as I have Cataclysm's Edge and The Brutalizer for weapons I don't see myself needing the actual swordsmith weapons again any time soon. If you can find a way to get the mats and 100g for smithing respecialization to a horde player on Illidan, I'd be happy to help you. Fair warning though, our server gets transfer-locked like every other week. There's probably someone else who can get you a Nightfall with less work on your part, but I'm willing to help.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Warrender » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:57 am

Splug wrote:I have exaulted Thorium Brotherhood reputation from the MC days. Currently I'm a swordsmith, but seeing as I have Cataclysm's Edge and The Brutalizer for weapons I don't see myself needing the actual swordsmith weapons again any time soon. If you can find a way to get the mats and 100g for smithing respecialization to a horde player on Illidan, I'd be happy to help you. Fair warning though, our server gets transfer-locked like every other week. There's probably someone else who can get you a Nightfall with less work on your part, but I'm willing to help.

-Splug

I believe all the pre-TBC recipes were changed to generic BS instead of the original specialization including Nightfall.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Splug » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:05 am

Actually, I think I heard that too. I'll have to detour to BRD and check later.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations