Remove Advertisements

Dodge Vs BR/BV....

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Postby Lore » Mon May 28, 2007 9:06 am

Neither Block Value nor Armor qualify as avoidance, I'm not sure why you brought that up. They're both a form of mitigation, reducing incoming damage by some amount instead of avoiding it completely. Block Value will not fix the healer OOM issue that dodge and parry will.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Eloff » Tue May 29, 2007 3:43 pm

I'm not sure why you brought that up

Every time I click on this thread, I'm not sure why I brought it up either! I guess I got excited at proving myself wrong???

Basically, I just wanted to decide when I should wear my Violet Signet
and when I should wear Dath'Remar's Ring of Defense...

(which for my specific example happens right around the point that I start taking 3k hits. (7.6k raw))
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct

Eloff

Postby Everlight » Tue May 29, 2007 5:26 pm

I dunno. They are comparable, but only for a fixed scenario. The purpose of avoidance is to let you dodge attacks, and thus take less damage. The purpose of mitigation is to make attacks hurt less, and thus take less damage. That's from the healing perspective. Avoidance also has powerful implications for physically applied debuffs such as Mortal Strike that Mitigation does nothing against.

Anyway, for a fixed scenario, Avoidance and Mitigation can be compared, but the problem is that the way in which block value / stamina is static whereas armor and avoidances are percentile means that they scale differently as mob damage increases. Thus their value for different scenarios changes.

There's also other implications for the standard deviation of incoming damage - mitigation doesn't affect StDev, avoidance does. Incidentally, a frequency graph of incoming damage is NOT a gaussian distribution (bell curve). So there's no "flattening" of the curve happening or any guff like that. You are just as likely to take a mid-range hit as a hit at one of the extremities.

But yeah. They ARE comparable. But only when you fix some more variables.
Everlight

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations