Remove Advertisements

tps and mitigation

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

tps and mitigation

Postby Emeli » Wed May 09, 2007 6:32 pm

This isn't particularly theorycrafting, as it's something I've always experienced more than thought about. Paladin tps vs druid/warrior tps and how it affects damage mitigation.

Well, it doesn't. Fair point. However, I've found that mitigation aside, a paladin tends to take less damage simply because they can solidify aoe aggro. I used to have a mage and a warlock with me at all times, simply so that once I had that aggro, CC free, they could just burn the enemies away from me. On a warrior exploding clothies would most likely steal aggro and cause a wipe, but because I had the threat generation on all targets, they simply held on me.

In a highly exaggerated example:

A warrior takes 800dps for 20 seconds. 800 x 20 = 16000
A paladin takes 1200dps for 10 seconds. 1200 x 10 = 12000

Obviously this is not a situation that would be happening, but do you think that a paladin's threat generation is a relevant point in the damage argument?
Would the last warrior to leave please turn off the lights.
Emeli

Postby QuantumDelta » Wed May 09, 2007 6:57 pm

Most people tend not to question our viability in 5mans..
It's a fair point though ;)
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Lore » Thu May 10, 2007 6:59 am

It's very true, and it's a niche I've been finding myself able to function quite well in in 25-mans lately as well. Particularly on Karathress and Magtheridon, I tank the first add, blow everything I can, and generate tons of threat so the DPS can burn it down faster. Although I take slightly more healing than a Warrior would take there, the mob dies about 30 seconds faster, and healers can move on from healing me to helping out on other tanks.

Switching from a Warrior tank on the first add for Magtheridon to me made us able to kill 4 adds with the 5th at ~50% before Magtheridon breaks loose. Previously he'd break while we were moving from the 3rd to the 4th.
Lore
Global Mod

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations