Parsing Combat logs for wipes

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Parsing Combat logs for wipes

Postby Ironshield » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:06 am

Since I can't always find what I'm looking for in WoL, I've taken to occasionally taking a raw log and parsing it with grep / sed to discern some info or other (eg a nice accurate pattern of the Lei Shen ability rotation during transitions). But one thing I've never been able to do reliably that WoL seems to do quite well is detecting wipes. I generally just look for UNIT_DIED events (usually mine) but this isn't 100% reliable with combat resses and one person dying early. Does anyone know of a good way to determine a timestamp for the end of combat or the start of the next fight?
Ironshield

Re: Parsing Combat logs for wipes

Postby Worldie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:48 am

I don't think there's a "reliable" way to determinate when a wipe is going on.

However, a valid idea would be looking for when several people start dieing at same time. It usually means either that wipe was called (so people suicided), or something fucked up and half of the raid died, so the wipe gets called shortly after.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:37 pm

I don't know much anymore about what particular events are logged, but there should at least be a sizable time gap without boss interaction which would allow you to infer a wipe had occurred.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Thels » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:08 am

Fridmarr wrote:I don't know much anymore about what particular events are logged, but there should at least be a sizable time gap without boss interaction which would allow you to infer a wipe had occurred.

Which is quite possibly how WoL detects it. However, that would be hard to do a quick search for...
ImageImage
Thels

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations