Remove Advertisements

Legendary Meta Question

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Legendary Meta Question

Postby Drunknforsetti » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:26 pm

I have been wondering which meta i should use I see alot of prot pally using the DPS one and a few using the Tanking one. Other than the raw dps what else does the DPS meta provide?
Drunknforsetti

Re: Legendary Meta Question

Postby Thels » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:18 pm

It doesn't really provide anything else, just raw DPS. However, this is often close to a 10% increase of overall DPS. Not something to laugh about.

The question is really, do you need the increase in DPS or the increase in survivability? If your guild is wiping, because you're falling dead all the time, take the tanking one. If your guild is wiping, because the boss enrages all the time, take the DPS one.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Kai » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:56 am

quite a few fights tanks use DPS partial/full dps gear, also during progression. tanks falling over isn't all that common these days while tank dps is quite good.
Kai

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:09 am

It is more like 8% damage. You're more likely to wipe to not enough damage to the enemy than to taking too much damage in my opinion. The Lightning Strike scales absurdly well with AP too (I had a 1.9 million damage crit on Horridon when he had the 200% damage debuff!)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby econ21 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:26 am

If you can get two helmets that can take them, take both metas and swap between fights as you see fit.

I am only 5/12 on 10N but feel a lot more squishy than most maintankadins who post, so I put the tank meta in my 522 helm and a the dps meta in a LFR one. I confess I mainly use the dps one, but do use the tank one for some fights where there's a non-trivial risk I can drop dead and wipe the raid (so far, Council and Tortos on adds).
econ21

Postby Thels » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:41 am

Fetzie wrote:It is more like 8% damage.

On WoL, Lightning Strike is always around 9% of my damage, which is 10% of the remaining 91% (the damage I would do without the meta.

Even if it's only 8% of your damage, that's still a 8.7% increase to your damage.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Schroom » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:48 am

DAT MATH Thels :P

atm i have the Lei-shen NM helmet twice. Each one reforged the same way but with different metas, so I can swap as needed.

We are going on Ra-Den soon as we are progressing Lei-Shen HM right now. I guess the tankmeta is the way to go here?
Schroom

Postby daishan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:57 am

I just stayed with the dps meta for Ra Den.
Just time SotR for the annoying fatal strike in P1 then faceroll burn P2, it might of been a scary boss when the 1st guilds got there but with the gear we have now it's really not.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Schroom » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:16 am

ok so no stam or mastery stacking (as most guilds who got there first did) is really required anymore? just keep cool, play the mechanics and it's a win, if i understand this right? thanks
Schroom

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:26 am

Schroom wrote:just keep cool, play the mechanics and it's a win, if i understand this right? thanks

Gratz on describing all boss fights to date!

=p
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby daishan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:57 am

Hehe

I'm not sure the first guilds did stack stam for Ra Den almost certain a saw Treckie switch to full on haste when they got there and Frago kept his haste set I think.

Fairly sure you can do either now.
I just saw it as in P1 if you fail with SotR timings your dead regardless of haste or stam build and in P2 killing him fast is more important than small survival gain especially as you'll be pulling twice the dps if not more than the dps players.

Anyway good luck enjoy Lei Shen as he's the real end boss, as long as you go to Ra Den with a solid plan it should be fine.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm

I went Stamina, 4set and Tanking Meta gem for our first few kills.
They all work very well together on Ra-den.

But it depends a bit on your Ilvl as well.
At high enough Ilvl (with 4set ofcourse) keeping SotR up at 100% (together with whatever lvl 75 talent you choose) isnt very hard, thow in GoAK and AD as backups. While still giving you a very reasonable chunk of stamina to survive fine.

With a Stamina setup, you are more dependant on beeing able to hold of your Holy Avenger untill you choose to use Heroism, 4set is still awesome, but you might need some external CDs to keep 100% uptime on damage reductions, BUT meta gem works Perfect to give you the time you need between building Holy Power.

If you are not using the tank meta, Id say Haste is safer at keeping a high uptime on SotR ofcourse.

I really dont get where you are coming from saying P2 dps is more important than personal tank survivability.
Sure higher dps means less time you need to have CD coverage for, and it means less raid damage, the meta gem is hardly a small survivability gain in p2 either, its insane for such a boss with high damage output the whole time, while less usefull where the boss goes up and down in damage output.

What is going to do the most differance in survivability and damage, is not going to be your meta gem, its going to be your gemming.
Dps Meta gem wont do anything for your survivability, it will only boost your damage output.
Haste gearing will give you great uptime on SotR, and shitloads of dps.
If you need more CDs to keep 100% uptime on mitigation for p2, go Tank meta, if you are fine without it, go Dps Meta.

Ra-den is a very special fight, on many fights the damage you take wont be as constant or as lineraly increasing all the time, meaning that the tank gem has to procc at the "right" time to be usefull, making it tediously RNG to rely on (and you really shouldnt).
But on a fight you are solotanking and taking shitloads of damage constantly, the procc will allow you to gather some time to build up holy power or delay your CD usage for just a few more seconds.
Treck

Postby Schroom » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:57 pm

thanks Treckie, I knew I saw you with that stam build when you where progressing Ra-Den ;-)

I guess I'll start with haste gems, but Lei-Shen trinket instead of a DPS one and probably the tankmeta (got the lei-shen normal helm twice, each with another metagem, making it very easy to switch) just to be safe at the start while learning the fight.

no 2 4 piece available as I'm going to offset pieces and never really need 2 or 4 piece to be able to tank any of the previous bosses. Where our locks and priests and the holy pally where pretty happy about me passing for them to get their set pieces.
Schroom

Postby daishan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:28 am

Ok I fail at remembering.

I guess it might be a 10/25 difference but I just didn't feel like I needed any more cd's in P2, we got mostly blue orbs and had 1 dps die near the start of P2 and still killed it the first time we got him sub 40%.
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Marfyy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:54 pm

-
Last edited by Marfyy on Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marfyy

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations