Mastery Observations / Questions

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Mastery Observations / Questions

Postby Donahu » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:18 am

Soooo, I tried to search for this one in a few places. Here, google, etc. :P.

With my current mastery values my tooltip reads like this -

Mastery: Divine Bulwark
Requires Paladin (Protection)
Requires level 80
Increases the damage reduction of your Shield of the Righteous by 21%, adds 21% to your Bastion of Glory, and increases your chance to block melee attacks by 21%.
Mastery 7957 (+13.26%).

So, here is my first question. Is that .26% wasted? Or does the tooltip just not update to the actual 21.26% that it is? For maximization of my gear, should I ditch 0.26% of my mastery until I can reach the next %?

Second question - I'm using Jade Warlord Figurine from MSV trash. On use +3595 mastery for 15 seconds. I've noticed that when I put up Shield of the Righteous the tooltip shows 51% damage reduction. Now, when I pop Holy Avenger (along with this trinket), I can extend out my Shield of the Righteous buff quite a long time, but the tooltip doesn't update to the 57% damage reduction (which is my mastery rating w/ trinket active). Since I'm just refreshing the current buff, is it not getting any value from the trinket buff? And if that is the case, I should be popping the trinket ~13 seconds before I pop Holy Avenger and then extend the "57%" damage reduction buff since I'm just refreshing the buff for that duration?

Thanks for any input/answers/links to a random thread I missed that already explains this >.<.
Donahu

Re: Mastery Observations / Questions

Postby theckhd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:16 am

The character sheet rounds to whole numbers, but the game itself doesn't. So don't worry about that extra 0.26%, you're still getting the benefit from it.

I actually don't know the answer to your second question. I would have assumed that every time you cast SotR, it re-calculates the damage reduction and adds duration. But I haven't explicitly tested it. I'll put a request for such a test in the Call to Arms thread.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Donahu » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:45 am

Thanks for the update, was doing a bit more min/maxing and it crossed my mind in regards to the mastery numbers. Looking forward to hearing back the data on the other test. I didn't think to do it that way myself but I should be able to get a parse of that data up before the weekend ends if no one else has found the time ;).
Donahu

Postby theothersteve7 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:11 am

A while back there was a problem with shadow priests. They would pop a bunch of cooldown before applying DoTs, and keep refreshing them, keeping the bonuses for sometimes the entire fight. They fixed it so that doesn't happen, but it switched back on MoP launch. So I heard, anyway. SPriests don't "refresh" dots anymore, they reapply them, which is different.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get the bonus for the full duration as you described. That said, I'm not sure it's worth the micromanagement in most cases. I personally have my trinkets macroed in with certain moves; we aren't hurting for cooldowns.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations