Help understanding MOP level-based suppressions

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Help understanding MOP level-based suppressions

Postby aresius » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:23 am

Recently i came by some posts which mentioned a alteration on the level difference supressions of dodge, parry and miss. I wasent aware we had moved away from the 0.2 reductions per level difference to each stat (which lead to the 102.4% mark of the CTC era), and wanted to verify if my understanding of the new supressions was accurate.

By what im seeing:
Each player/Mob begins with base 3% miss, dodge and parry.
For each level difference there is a 1.5% increase or reduction.
This leads to the 7.5 miss chance from a 90 player to a 93 Boss, as well as the 7.5% soft cap and 15% hard cap on expertise (as the boss now has 7.5% of both dodge and parry against a 90 player).

Under this reasoning, a 93 boss mob now has zero miss chance against a player, and reduces a players dodge and parry by 4.5% each.

Is this correct? Are we losing all miss and 9% of our avoidance when fighting a boss? My guild hasent been making logs so im unable to see if our combat values are remotely related to my defenses.
Does this supression also happen against block (-4.5% block chance)?

If this is correct, couldent the additional argument (to the damage smoothing line of reasoning) that the control or active mitigation defensive model (hit/expertise/mastery/haste) is better then a avoidance stacking model simply because avoidance is innefective due to the heavy supression of our defenses against raid bosses, while the SoTR mitigation increase remains untouched?

Thanks for any clarification.
aresius

Re: Help understanding MOP level-based suppressions

Postby theckhd » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 am

Yes, your understanding of avoidance suppression is correct. The suppression also happens against block.

The argument you've made against the avoidance stacking model is a little more ambiguous, because you haven't clearly defined "ineffective." We still have nonzero avoidance against a raid boss before we add any rating. Diminishing returns also helps keep avoidance from getting better as you stack more of it, so the raw damage reduction value doesn't vary that significantly over 5-10%. Also note that the calculations showing avoidance in the lead for total damage reduction take the suppression into account.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby aresius » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:12 am

Would you guys mind clarifying another little game-mechanics question?
Ive never been quite sure in which moment the game puts in absortion reductions in a attack sequence.
My guess was it was something like this:
Check for parry/dodge -> check for block - > armor/resist/class mitigation -> cooldown/active mitigation -> absortion -> final damage taken.

I know the order of mitigations hardly matters but in my understanding where the absorbs are discounted does, so if its not after all mitigations it would make a important difference.

So, for simple example, a tank with 50% armor mitigation and who may or may not have a 20K abosobtion bubble, receiving a 200K atack could:
-block/parry the atack entirely.
-take a full hit for 100K final damage received
-take a full hit with a 20K absorb bubble for 80K fdr
-take a full hit with GoAK for 50K fdr
-take a full hit with GoAK and the 20K bubble for 30K fdr
-take a blocked hit for 70K fdr
-take a blocked hit with bubble for 50K fdr
-take a blocked hit with GoAK for 35K fdr
-take a blocked hit with GoAK and bubble for 15K fdr

Naturaly, if the absorbed ammount is discounted before any one of the mitigations, these example values would be all off.
aresius

Postby Nooska » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:24 am

Absorbs are "reverse" heals - they don't heal you up, tehy give you more effective health while up (to explainit as simply as possibe).

Absorbs are counted last, always, otherwise absorbs would need to be humongously better/larger than direct heals, and would be wors to use on a properly geared tank, than on the mage next to him.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby aresius » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks, thought so.
The main reason of my doubt is once i had read someone saying that absortions where accounted before some of the mitigation (as a argument for them not being very good), just needed to make sure that information was wrong.

Btw, is there a way to delete my accidental spam?
aresius

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Short of a mod clearing them out, the only way to delete is before someone else posts, at least as far as I've found. If this isn't the case, please enlighten us! :)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:32 pm

I deleted the two accidental posts.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations