Remove Advertisements

Nerfed block chance on Baleroc encounter?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Nerfed block chance on Baleroc encounter?

Postby Iminmmnni » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:08 am

From the official healer Q&A:

Blizzard wrote:We had originally planned on having bosses in later tiers scale so that players would need more crit, hit, expertise, dodge and parry for later tiers. We ultimately decided not to do this, at least for the current expansion.
Iminmmnni

Postby Selcouth » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:22 am

Has someone tried to get an answer from the official Blizzard forum?
If im saying weird things correct me PLEASE. I`m from Germany and don`t know it better.^^
Selcouth

Postby Sar » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:01 am

I'm sitting at 102.57% CTC, and last night on 10man normal Baleroc I was tanking everything bar the Decimation blade stage, and noticed of 103 swings I blocked 94 and 9 apparently connected.

:|
Sar

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 am

Inferno strikes can't miss, though they can be dodged/parried, so if you're including those in your total that will skew your results. Do you have a log uploaded somewhere?
Rhiannon

Postby Soloz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:31 am

I tried this with a 106 setup and I think I still got hit? I'm not entirely sure

here's log for the attempts and kill http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-m8zlp ... boss=53494

there was a few times where I died and got a res but I was still over the cap.
Soloz

Postby Rhiannon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:43 am

No, again absorbed hits count as hits in world of logs. I should probably edit the OP. Anyway, you had two absorbs in that log vs melee attacks, and two hits, so both of those hits were actually absorbed and probably blocked. You had unblocked/absorbed inferno strikes land, but as those don't have 5% miss chance that's quite possible anyway.
Rhiannon

Postby Echaa » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Marblehead wrote:When a hit is fully absorbed, WoL counts it also as a full hit.

According to the log, you had 125 hits and 112 full absorbs. Using a query on the expression editor to find out how many unblocked hits you've got, returns (guess what) 13 hits. I'd bet that you were missing some kind of buff during these.

Im confused by this - if WoL counts an absorb as full hit shouldn't you be able to simply ignore the absorbs?

If absorbs are calculated in after avoidance then any hit that is absorbed would essentially have been an unmitigated hit anyway. Unless of course, an absorb from a blocked hit is also counted as an unmitigated hit, in which case how do you know which absorbs are from blocks and which would have been full hits?
Echaa

Postby Newsom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:52 am

Um, you can't block Decimation Blades (you can however dodge and parry them) so that's probably why you are seing full hits. Not sure about Inferno Blades.
NewsomNewsSpoonNewsy
Newsom

Postby Torias » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:16 am

Inferno Blades can't miss so you lose that 5% towards your 102.4%, I believe.
Torias

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:04 am

Newsom wrote:Um, you can't block Decimation Blades (you can however dodge and parry them) so that's probably why you are seing full hits. Not sure about Inferno Blades.

Not to sound rude, but reading the OP or the rest of the thread properly ("melee swings") or looking at the log(s) would make it clear that I'm not talking about Decimation or Inferno blades, but his regular auto-attack damage.
Rhiannon

Postby Booi » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:43 am

I've been trying to avoid posting on this site :)
but here is what I think is happening.

Baleroc OH Logs

If you look at the logs, you'll notice that the OH swings [sometimes] occur during decimation blade, but all of these are dodged or parried. I suspect to avoid MH/OH swing syncing issues when decimation blade fell off that they simply changed baleroc's hit/miss during decimation blade and then changed it back afterwards.

I believe they gave back more hit/expertise to baleroc than they took away. The things to look at likely are:
1) Do the unblocked hits only occur as off-hands?
2) Do they ever occur before the first blade?

A second issue that we ran into, (and perhaps it doesn't belong in this thread). When we tried to have our paladin tank the encounter this week (we one tank it) he was having issues with swing timer's syncing on pull. I heroic leap in as a warrior, and he walks in as a paladin. I was wondering if anyone else was having similar issues.

Baleroc Swing Timer Issue Logs

Note, he wasn't taunting on pull and he said sometimes someone would pull aggro in that split second he was walking up to the boss. This might be the simple fix to the problem, though you'd hope blizzard could avoid these situations. Once these timers are synced they seem to stay synced for the duration. It happened to me once and it stayed that way for the entirety of the 2.5 minute attempt.

But as you can imagine getting hit for 180k+ in the same thousandth of a second tends to doom a tank. We ended up having to swap him back out.
Booi

Postby Javvo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:41 am

I've been wondering about this too, except not only on Baleroc. I've been over the proverbial block cap for a while now but I've still been getting "hit". This happens in every fight and the only time I would ever possibly have my back to a mob is Shannox, Rhyolith and Alysrazor. However, on all fights the amount of unmitigated "hits" I'm taking falls somewhere between 5.5% and 7.5%, which makes no sense to me.

Here are some logs of fights I've done this week, and a link to my armory. I'm WAY over block cap, somewhere in the 107% range at this point. On the logs hover over the spell "Melee" to check the damage breakdown of melee swings.

Beth'tilac: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/uabr ... 272&e=2708
Baleroc: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o ... 794&e=1150

My Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/c ... o/advanced

I actually just read your last post, Theck. The gear I have on now is exactly what I used on Baleroc. Feel free to go log digging, and thanks for any help. If you'd like me to try out different gear setups let me know.
Javvo, Guild Master of Rebellion

End Game
Javvo

Postby Kihra » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:05 am

Javvo wrote:I've been wondering about this too, except not only on Baleroc. I've been over the proverbial block cap for a while now but I've still been getting "hit". This happens in every fight and the only time I would ever possibly have my back to a mob is Shannox, Rhyolith and Alysrazor. However, on all fights the amount of unmitigated "hits" I'm taking falls somewhere between 5.5% and 7.5%, which makes no sense to me.

Here are some logs of fights I've done this week, and a link to my armory. I'm WAY over block cap, somewhere in the 107% range at this point. On the logs hover over the spell "Melee" to check the damage breakdown of melee swings.

Beth'tilac: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/uabr ... 272&e=2708
Baleroc: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o ... 794&e=1150

My Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/c ... o/advanced

I actually just read your last post, Theck. The gear I have on now is exactly what I used on Baleroc. Feel free to go log digging, and thanks for any help. If you'd like me to try out different gear setups let me know.

Someone mentioned this in a previous post, but remember that full absorbs count as hits. For example in your Beth'tilac log, you actually only took 3 unblocked hits and not 7, since 4 were full absorbs (and you probably blocked them).

One of your unblocked hits was from a spinner (I think it's reasonable to assume you had your back to it), and then two were from drones. Both unblocked drone hits occurred right as they were dying, so you were probably just peeling off to go run someplace else right as they were about to fall over dead.
Kihra

Postby Javvo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:11 pm

Kihra wrote:Someone mentioned this in a previous post, but remember that full absorbs count as hits. For example in your Beth'tilac log, you actually only took 3 unblocked hits and not 7, since 4 were full absorbs (and you probably blocked them).

One of your unblocked hits was from a spinner (I think it's reasonable to assume you had your back to it), and then two were from drones. Both unblocked drone hits occurred right as they were dying, so you were probably just peeling off to go run someplace else right as they were about to fall over dead.

Thanks for that, I actually didn't read the whole post (didn't realize it was 3 pages o.0). Hopefully my Baleroc logs are useful at least, as they're above 107% CTC.
Javvo, Guild Master of Rebellion

End Game
Javvo

Postby theckhd » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:31 pm

Looks pretty much as expected. Your Baleroc parse claims you took 8 melee hits. It also lists 8 absorbs, which accounts for the hits. A quick expression editor check shows that you had 8 full absorbs on melee hits, and every other melee attack you took was blocked:

Expression editor singling out damage/miss events on Javvo
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations