Question on the 102.4% Cap

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Question on the 102.4% Cap

Postby Cloee » Sun May 29, 2011 3:26 am

Premise:

Mastery (Block) does not suffer reduction from diminishing returns.
Dodge suffers from diminishing returns.
Parry suffers from diminishing returns.

Character sheet dodge chance shows the value before diminishing returns.
Character sheet parry chance shows the value before diminishing returns.

getdodgechance(), getparrychance(), getblockchance() return the value of the character sheet.

The "Block Cap" of 102.4% is calculated by adding up the character sheet's block, dodge and parry chance (+ modifier).

Conclusion:

Using the character sheet alone, we can determine the chance of damage reduction from block, but we can not accurately determine chance of damage reduction from dodge and parry.

In order to determine the chance of damage reduction occurring through dodge and parry, we need to consider their diminishing returns.

The current formula for "Block Cap" does not consider the diminishing return of parry and dodge and is therefore an approximation that presumes that everybody has a specific amount of parry and dodge when reaching the cap.

Question:

What did I overlook?

and,

How high is the chance of a blood elf female to perform a pirouette when jumping?
Cloee
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:29 am

Re: Question on the 102.4% Cap

Postby Rhiannon » Sun May 29, 2011 4:42 am

Cloee wrote:Character sheet dodge chance shows the value before diminishing returns.
Character sheet parry chance shows the value before diminishing returns.


Character sheet value for dodge and parry is post diminishing returns. The "dodge rating of x adds y% dodge (before diminishing returns)" you get when mousing over your dodge is before diminishing returns, but the actual value shown on the character sheet isn't.

Simple enough to test; naked DK shows 3.95% dodge chance. With 1412 dodge rating, this would add 7.99% dodge before diminishing returns, which would total 11.94%. Character sheet shows 11.47%.
Rhiannon
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 am

Re: Question on the 102.4% Cap

Postby Cloee » Sun May 29, 2011 6:29 am

Thanks ;)
Cloee
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:29 am

Re: Question on the 102.4% Cap

Postby Blackharon » Tue May 31, 2011 9:05 am

Cloee wrote:
What did I overlook?

and,

How high is the chance of a blood elf female to perform a pirouette when jumping?


I don't see miss being counted.

and,

From a very tiny random sampling: 33.33 (repeating of course) % of blood elf jumps include spins.
The Cat's out of the bag!
Pickpawcket for iPhone and iPad
http://www.pickpawcket.com
User avatar
Blackharon
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Montreal Canada


Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dukka and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: dukka and 1 guest